Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Fruit Tacos - A Favorite Snack
Blackcat31 12:33 PM 12-04-2010
Fruit Tacos:

We use whole wheat tortilla wraps and wrap cubed fresh fruit and then add a little dollop of cool whip! The kids LOVE them and ask for them all the time.

I've heard people say they use pie filling but that is so high in sugar that we chose to use fresh cubed up fruit instead(any kind works).
SilverSabre25 06:10 PM 12-04-2010
That sounds awesome! I will have to work that into my meal rotation I'm starting to make.
Rachel 09:27 PM 12-04-2010
Sounds really yummy! Thanks. And thanks Michael for the new section
kendallina 06:03 PM 12-07-2010
Yum Yum Yum!
mema 06:40 PM 03-18-2012
deleted. Meant to make new thread
Kaddidle Care 07:31 PM 03-18-2012
Sounds delish! Thin pancakes would be good with this too. (We've done this before) I'm not a good enough cook to make crepes but I can get the pancakes pretty thin.
Meyou 01:58 AM 03-19-2012
Oh yum!! Great idea.
Fruitloops1 10:19 AM 04-25-2012
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Sounds delish! Thin pancakes would be good with this too. (We've done this before) I'm not a good enough cook to make crepes but I can get the pancakes pretty thin.
crepes are pretty easy!! Have you tried to make them before? I am from Montenegro (former yugoslavia) and we call them Palacinke. We make them similar to french crepes but a little less egg-y It calls for quite a bit of butter but I tried using coconut oil instead and it tasted great. Here is a recipe I found online with coconut oil.....

mmmm, I think I will make some today...

3 eggs, well beaten

1/3 teaspoon salt

3 tablespoons sugar (omit for savory)

3 tablespoons melted palm shortening or coconut oil***

1 1/2 cupa unbleached all purpose flour

3 cups 2% milk

a little coconut oil to grease skillet

1. In a large bowl, beat eggs well with salt. Continue to beat while adding sugar 1 tablespoon at a time. Whisk eggs continuously while adding melted coconut oil.

2. Add flour and milk in thirds beginning with 1/2 cup flour. Beat by hand until incorporated and whisk in 1 cup of milk. Repeast twice more. Batter is much thinner than pancake batter.

3. Crepes will turn out better and fry easier (without breaking) if batter is refrigerated overnight. It must be completely smooth (no lumps of flour) to get a nice crepe.

4. To Fry: Heat desired sized saute pan over medium heat until a drop of batter immediately blisters in pan. Brush pan lightly with oil for the first one. Depending on the size of fry pan (I use 8" omelette pan), ladle in enough batter to thinly coat the bottom of skillet when tilted. The key here is to work quickly. Hold skillet in one hand, add batter and immediately tilt until batter is spread out and evenly coats the entire bottom of skillet.

5. Fry 3-4 minutes on first side, flip and cook about 2 minutes or until set and golden on second side. Fill with choice of filling.

http://www.foodbuzz.com/recipes/2102...pes-palacinke-
Kaddidle Care 01:03 PM 04-25-2012
Originally Posted by Azra11:
crepes are pretty easy!! Have you tried to make them before?

The key here is to work quickly. Hold skillet in one hand, add batter and immediately tilt until batter is spread out and evenly coats the entire bottom of skillet.

5. Fry 3-4 minutes on first side, flip and cook about 2 minutes or until set and golden on second side. Fill with choice of filling.

http://www.foodbuzz.com/recipes/2102...pes-palacinke-
Yah - I've tried to make them - that part of #4 and #5 of the instructions is where I have trouble. I'm not very adept at handling a fry pan.

My Grandmother made them - she was German but she learned from a cook that was Czechoslovakian. I just can't make them like Grandma did.

Hope you enjoyed them. I've never had coconut oil in the house except when we had Silky Terriers. We used the oil on their coats. LOL
Ariana 07:19 PM 04-25-2012
Great idea!!

For dairy intolerant kids you can use coconut milk whipped cream instead of regular stuff! You can Google the recipe there are tons.
Tags:cool whip, fruit, fruit tacos, pie filling, recipe, snack, tacos, tortilla wraps
Reply Up