Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Outdoor Potty??
SunshineMama 07:07 AM 04-30-2012
Thoughts on bringing a little potty outside with us for the kids to use?

With the weather getting nicer I really don't want to run inside every 20 minutes for potty. I have a private backyard. Is this appropriate for 2.5 year olds? My 4's can run inside by themselves and come back out, I am more concerned with the littler ones who are currently training.
familyschoolcare 07:44 AM 04-30-2012
I personaly would not do it. I would be concerned that I was teaching then children to potty outside and in the backyard. However, as a parent (my

children are all grown now) I do not think I would stop (say anything or have any objections) my daycare provider from ding it.
Heidi 08:04 AM 04-30-2012
honestly, we live in the country. All the boys here like to "pee on a tree". No one would ever think that's wierd.

You could screen the area with something for "privacy"...something high about 3 feet high so that you can supervise, but the neighbors cant see..
DBug 08:44 AM 04-30-2012
Last summer I kept a potty just inside the backyard door. When one of the kids had to go, they could use it there with at least a little privacy, and I could help them if necessary.

My only issue was emptying it ... I had to wait until everyone went inside for lunch or whatever. Luckily my kids only ever used it to pee ...
Blackcat31 08:54 AM 04-30-2012
Wouldn't work here either as we are required to have soap and warm water (not hand sanitizer or wet wipes) available for washing after toileting.
Heidi 09:03 AM 04-30-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Wouldn't work here either as we are required to have soap and warm water (not hand sanitizer or wet wipes) available for washing after toileting.
I have an outdoor faucet, so they can wash their hands there. I don't like potty chairs though...ick.

I am already pondering how I will potty train these boys... 2 21 mo's and a 2 year old. I know it's comming soon!
Blackcat31 09:15 AM 04-30-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I have an outdoor faucet, so they can wash their hands there. I don't like potty chairs though...ick.

I am already pondering how I will potty train these boys... 2 21 mo's and a 2 year old. I know it's comming soon!
We have an outdoor faucet too but were told it must be warm water.

As far as training those little ones you have, YOU don't have to train anyone....Mom does and you only need to be supportive! Whe I have "trainers" here in the summer months, I usually have a helper too so I have the helper run the "trainer" inside to the toilet. So far it has worked great. (knock on wood...LOL!)
cheerfuldom 10:19 AM 04-30-2012
I have put a potty right inside our backdoor so the potty is not outside or in view of anyone else.
cheerfuldom 10:20 AM 04-30-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
We have an outdoor faucet too but were told it must be warm water.

As far as training those little ones you have, YOU don't have to train anyone....Mom does and you only need to be supportive! Whe I have "trainers" here in the summer months, I usually have a helper too so I have the helper run the "trainer" inside to the toilet. So far it has worked great. (knock on wood...LOL!)
I agree with you but I think the OP was the one that has ended up with three kids all training at the same time and the parents putting pressure on her to do it at daycare.
skittles 10:27 AM 04-30-2012
I have used one in the past outside and worked wonderful. It did not encourage them to pee outside. This group is four and five year olds now and they are fine. I have all boys though not sure how this would go for girls.
itlw8 12:14 PM 04-30-2012
I have enough trouble with little boys who have go to the woods with dad or grandpa. I just take potty breaks. We all go in check the potty and get drinks of water.
SunshineMama 12:33 PM 04-30-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I agree with you but I think the OP was the one that has ended up with three kids all training at the same time and the parents putting pressure on her to do it at daycare.
YES! Exactly correct.

I have one trained now fully YIPPEE!! He can go himself and do it all.

The other 2 have a ways to go, but sometimes it is every 30 minutes, which means hauling 6 kids inside, removing dirty shoes, washing all hands to get dirt off so it is not on my walls, etc. By the time I get them all in the trainees have already had their accident.

I have an outdoor faucet, wipes, and hand sanitizer, and a private place where I can put a little potty, and I am not confined by licensing laws. I just want to make sure that it is appropriate, I suppose I don't want to offend anyone. Maybe I can buy a little screen and corner off an area on the patio??
newtodaycare22 02:36 PM 04-30-2012
I bought this a few months ago for trips to the park...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o04_s00_i01

Best purchase ever
Sprouts 03:57 PM 04-30-2012
As i was reading the other post i was thinking, could u possibly put a diaper in the bowl that collects the urine to soak it up and just keep a shelf with lysol wipes and gloves(out of reach) to clean the seat with a covered garbage can nearby to dispose and to keep it all sanitized and just wash hands with an outdoor hose and soap?

For camping they have this bag and portable potty and in the bag is those odor and liquid absorbing balls you find in the little packets in shoes and new hand bags, so when you urinate or poop it abosorbs it all. Thats pretty much what a diaper does as well....
Reply Up