Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Field Trips And Transporting, How To Handle
daycare 01:14 PM 11-06-2012
So as some of you know, a big part of my program is based off of community in the classroom. I go on about 2-3 off sight lessons a week.

Well, I expanded my program a few months ago and filled up quickly. My husband was my assistant up until he got a job offer at a hospital that is far away, so he is no longer able to help drive with the other car we have.

I do have two big vehicles, however, my auto insurance will not cover my new assistant to drive the kids. I would have to purchase commercial insurance and I just can't afford to do that.

So my next thought was to only open the off site lessons to the preschoolers ages 3-5 and let the littles stay with my assistant. The next day I can swap. take the littles and then preschool stay with my assistant??

OR I thought that I can offer off site lesson only to those that are potty trained???? this would be about 6 kids for me and 6 with my assistant.

Please let me know what you think or if you have a better idea?????

I want to get this figured out so that I can get our off site lessons back....

thanks for your advice and for reading this.........
Country Kids 01:29 PM 11-06-2012
I would go with just the potty trained ones. They are actually the ones that are getting the most out of it.

Yea, I guess the four year old would miss out. Maybe an insintive for her to potty train !
daycare 01:30 PM 11-06-2012
how do you think the parents of the ones that are not PT will respond? I know that the reason why a lot of them choose me is because of my outdoors program....
Country Kids 01:43 PM 11-06-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
how do you think the parents of the ones that are not PT will respond? I know that the reason why a lot of them choose me is because of my outdoors program....
Remember my head hurts from banging it on my desk (did you read the post) and now you want me to think!

I would explain the whole insurance thing to the parents. Then explain and I guess only if this is true that they aren't getting anything out of it (being to little). Also, if you have to stop to change diapers during the outing and that it takes longer then scheduled, etc. Also, if you have to go change a child, who do you leave the other children with?
daycare 01:50 PM 11-06-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Remember my head hurts from banging it on my desk (did you read the post) and now you want me to think!

I would explain the whole insurance thing to the parents. Then explain and I guess only if this is true that they aren't getting anything out of it (being to little). Also, if you have to stop to change diapers during the outing and that it takes longer then scheduled, etc. Also, if you have to go change a child, who do you leave the other children with?
When I have to change diapers, I do it right there on the ground on a portable fold out mat or in the back of my SUV where all of the kids stand up against the car holding hands until I am done.
Country Kids 01:56 PM 11-06-2012
I'm not sure then. I think I would just tell the parents the older ones are getting more out of it and when the kiddo's are potty trained you'll start taking them.

Other wise your never going to be home because you'll need to be doing each field trip twice.
daycare 01:58 PM 11-06-2012
I'm not sure then. I think I would just tell the parents the older ones are getting more out of it and when the kiddo's are potty trained you'll start taking them.

Other wise your never going to be home because you'll need to be doing each field trip twice.
I didnt read that you bang your head? are you ok?? what thread is it???
Country Kids 02:08 PM 11-06-2012
I didnt read that you bang your head? are you ok?? what thread is it???
Its under "I have a headache"-
daycare 02:23 PM 11-06-2012
Its under "I have a headache"-
laugh off the apple cheese pies...lol instant headache cure.....lol
Rachel 03:44 AM 11-08-2012
I don't think you should make it to do with potty training. What are you going to do when #7 comes back potty trained?

I think you should divide the kids into groups, either by ages or just randomly, and take each group on some trips.
littlemissmuffet 05:42 AM 11-08-2012
Can you not use public transportation? I can easily get 6 kiddos (ages 1-3) around town on the bus by myself. If I had my hubby with me, we could do 12. This way, everyone is able to go in ONE trip!
Lilbutterflie 06:58 AM 11-08-2012
Could you trade in for a Ford E Series 15 passenger van? Then you can take all of them, still keep your same insurance, and you would be the only driver needed.

I personally would start making all off site field trips available to the older ones (pick an age). If you base it on potty training, you'll run into trouble when #7 is potty trained.
daycare 08:58 AM 11-08-2012
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
Could you trade in for a Ford E Series 15 passenger van? Then you can take all of them, still keep your same insurance, and you would be the only driver needed.

I personally would start making all off site field trips available to the older ones (pick an age). If you base it on potty training, you'll run into trouble when #7 is potty trained.
If I got a 15 passenger van, my insurance would make me purchase commercial insurance.

I think that I will go with dividing the groups and making two field trips in one week. Guess I can try that out.

BTW. more than half of my kids are not PT and the ones that are will age out by this fall, way before the others are ready to PT, so that would work in my case. I just think that the parents would be upset by it.
daycare 09:02 AM 11-08-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Can you not use public transportation? I can easily get 6 kiddos (ages 1-3) around town on the bus by myself. If I had my hubby with me, we could do 12. This way, everyone is able to go in ONE trip!
public transportation is not good here where I live. So this also would not be an option for me..

But thanks for the sugesstion
littlemissmuffet 09:08 AM 11-08-2012
public transportation is not good here where I live. So this also would not be an option for me..

But thanks for the sugesstion
Ugh. That's really unfortunate!!

In regards to your comment about parents being upset about non-PT not going on field trips - where I live it is unheard of for kids under 3 to go on field trips in centers... and most home daycares won't do it until 3 or 4 either.
Maybe chack around and see what your local centers/dayhomes do in regards to fieldtrips/ages??
daycare 09:21 AM 11-08-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Ugh. That's really unfortunate!!

In regards to your comment about parents being upset about non-PT not going on field trips - where I live it is unheard of for kids under 3 to go on field trips in centers... and most home daycares won't do it until 3 or 4 either.
Maybe chack around and see what your local centers/dayhomes do in regards to fieldtrips/ages??
it is the same here. I think what the issue is that the parents would not deal well with me pulling the field trips from the younger kids. Right now most of my kids are 2.6
Brandye 10:02 AM 11-08-2012
I know how you feel we found a 15 passenger van and this way I can take all my kids with me plus usually two adults besides me. I would suggest looking for one. I found mine used with low miles 2 years ago. Ours was at the dealership and was used my the local college prior to us. I love it and so do the parents we take all the kids everywhere and I am one of the only ones in my town that does this.
daycare 10:22 AM 11-08-2012
Originally Posted by Brandye:
I know how you feel we found a 15 passenger van and this way I can take all my kids with me plus usually two adults besides me. I would suggest looking for one. I found mine used with low miles 2 years ago. Ours was at the dealership and was used my the local college prior to us. I love it and so do the parents we take all the kids everywhere and I am one of the only ones in my town that does this.
not sure you saw the other post about insurance for a van. I have been with my insurance company for a very long time and I asked if I were to purchase a 12 passenger van how much my insurance would be and they told me that I would need to purchase commercial insurance that would cost about $300-600 a month... I just can't afford that
Reply Up