Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To Tell A Parent
littlemisssunshine 07:33 AM 08-28-2012
She needs to bathe her children daily!!! I honesty don't know how to say this to her without sounding rude!
laundrymom 07:39 AM 08-28-2012
I would apologize at pick up, saying you think she got into something in the yard because when you came in you noticed a smell. " hey June, I think Miranda got into some weeds or something outside today. I've washed her hands but her skin still smells. I think tonight's bath may need a double soaping. "

Then comment on how yummy and snuggly she smelled the next day. That you couldn't get enough snuggles with her. And wow what soap did she use because you are needing to get some for your kids.

Most parents will love the extra attention for their kids and once they see how to get the " special" they like getting it
providerandmomof4 08:09 AM 08-28-2012
I had a dcb (2yr) who I swear came in the same clothes from the day before and his feet were super dirty, which they were the day before. I think that after dcb left me, his mom took him to her friends to stay the night and didn't even see him on some days.She was a young mom that worked alot and there were other issue like her texting me a 2am to see how the previous day had went Not sure what was going on with her...but being Ms. passive aggr. I just sponge bathed him and put him in his extra change of clothes. I told mom, "I need another change of clothes because these are dirty."
itlw8 09:18 AM 08-28-2012
lots of people do not bathe daily, especially if they have exema

my dr told me NOT to bath my children daily and only use soap when needed and only in the stinky areas

so to speak up depends smelly or crusty then yes they are bordering on neglect.

If they bath every other day or 3 days... then it is not neglect just different than you. around 4th grade they will have stinky kids if they continue the practice.

truthfully I sleep much better after a bath.
countrymom 09:39 AM 08-28-2012
you should see the filthy kids I had yesterday. They were so dirty that I had a dcp complain. She was so shocked to see how filthy they were and they were playing with the toys, even after I told all the parents that I just shampood the rug. i don't know how tell parents, but its usually out of shear laziness why children are not being bathed.
daycarediva 09:55 AM 08-28-2012
I am the one with the kid who wasn't bathed in 3+ months (spongebaths, dry shampoo on hair) I have him getting bathed every other day but I had to tell her that dcb had a blowout (regular occurance, which he did) and I needed to give him a bath (which I did).

I really really dislike when kids play outside allllll day and are filthy and come back the next day in the same clothes (or their pants changed but not shirt, etc) Sorry, that's GROSS! Even if you don't use soap (my son has exzema and I don't always use soap) I do rinse him and wipe him down and wash his hair and put clean clothes on him DAILY.

Another huge problem is disgusting ears and fingernails. It really is NOT THAT HARD to clip a few fingernails. I do my kids every Sunday (that way I remember lol) and I work more hours than all of my dcp's. Stuff like that goes beyond a different 'level of hygeine' onto just gross. I have cut nails, cleaned ears and bathed atleast half my daycare kids. I always tell the parents, and MOST seem embarassed.

I had a dcb who continually came in the clothes I changed him into the day before (because he was still in them) and I started commenting to dcb in front of dcm "Oh were you out too late for a bath and pj's again last night? You're going to be a stinky bug!" LOL!
MaritimeMummy 09:58 AM 08-28-2012
My daughter has extremely dry skin and my son has eczema. By doctor's order, we are NOT supposed to bathe our children every day.

f it doesn't seem like an underlying skin condition preventing a daily bath (hey, actually, babies in diapers don't require a full bath every night anyway, most pediatricians agree), If the child is in diapers I would maybe say something like, "DCK had a really big poo today, almost blew out, just make sure you scrub really good tonight in the bath". Or you could just send out a general newsletter, not pointing any fingers, reviewing personal hygiene with the kids. "Here are day care we get into some pretty messy situations and play really dirty!As such, I really stress that children be bathed each night as I can't guarantee that I am getting all of the dirt from our messy play off!" I sent out a newsletter similar to this a few months ago. "We have confirmed that deer ticks are in our yard, so please make sure you are checking your children closely. A good time to do this is with their evening bath".
Reply Up