Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Repetition
sahm2three 08:37 AM 10-19-2012
How much repetition is normal from a 2 year old? In this, I mean, I have a 2 year old who repeats himself over and over and over and over. It doesn't matter how many times I answer him, he will repeat himself like I didn't answer him. His sister comes in the afternoons and she says it drives the dad crazy too. I mean it is super excessive. For instance, he loves my son, and asks where he is and I will tell him he is at school. He then continues to ask another 30 times or more! The first few times I will answer him and then I try redirecting him and then I end up just having to flat ignore him. It is the same with everything. What is this? he will ask as he is holding up a toy, I answer him and he will ask over and over and over and over. It is all day and it is about everything. I have tried to ignore it and sing to the kids, but he tries to interrupt the song to ask the question. Same with playing games, doing crafts, whatever we are doing. I have taken to when they are busy with something I will put my ear buds in to drown the questions out. It drives the other kids crazy too, they start yelling in his face, which I put a stop to, but I understand their frustrations. It is very tiring. Any thoughts on how to curb the repeating?
cheerfuldom 09:08 AM 10-19-2012
If it is really that bad (and yes, I have one that is THAT bad), I simply tell my DCG "no more questions" and if she chooses to disobey, she gets a consequence just like any other time she was to break a rule. This is assuming there are no special needs issues AND that these questions are attention seeking behavior....not actual curiosity. My one repetitious questioner usually has questions about where everyone is and what everyone is supposed to be doing. Its never "why is the grass green?" or something that shows curiousity. I do feel that her questions are attention seeking and used to manipulate my time or manipulate the other kids (telling them what we are doing next because she asked me and I told her first). So in a nut shell, it is not ignoring so much as telling her she cant do that.
sahm2three 09:48 AM 10-19-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
If it is really that bad (and yes, I have one that is THAT bad), I simply tell my DCG "no more questions" and if she chooses to disobey, she gets a consequence just like any other time she was to break a rule. This is assuming there are no special needs issues AND that these questions are attention seeking behavior....not actual curiosity. My one repetitious questioner usually has questions about where everyone is and what everyone is supposed to be doing. Its never "why is the grass green?" or something that shows curiousity. I do feel that her questions are attention seeking and used to manipulate my time or manipulate the other kids (telling them what we are doing next because she asked me and I told her first). So in a nut shell, it is not ignoring so much as telling her she cant do that.
Yeah it's definately not to gain information, it is most definately attention seeking. And yes it really is that bad. It is constant. If he is awake, he is asking the same questions over and over and over. And over and over and over. I just had to get after one of the kids for grabbing him by the shoulders and screaming. Yeah, that bad. LOL!
Reply Up