Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not Feeling Full Filled In This Job, And Trying To Decide What Else I Want To Do
sahm2three 10:14 AM 11-06-2012
I am just burned out. I feel like I get nothing but hard kids (although I was told by another provider that it isn't just me getting them, kids are getting harder because they lack discipline and parental involvment). I am just so emotionally drained. I feel like I repeat myself so much, and I know that to a degree that is normal. But so much so that I dread having to do it all again when they wake up/next day/whatever. I admit, this is not what I wanted to do forever. It was something I just decided to do to be home with my kids and be able to make some money. I did it for years before I had my own kids, I know what it is like, I didn't just jump into something I had no idea what it was like. But I am tired of not getting to call in sick, leave early to go to my kids sports, and on and on. I am tired of parents demanding of me. I am just tired. I want to be more involved with my own kids. I am tired of the daycare kids coming first all the time. I just asked kids to start cleaning, and one of the kids is going to totally fight me. I am tired of "fighting" with 2 year olds. AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
Happy Hearts 10:47 AM 11-06-2012
I feel for you!! Maybe it is time to move on. Getting your nails and hair done. Going out for lunch. Talking to real people during the day. Hmmm, I miss that.
cheerfuldom 10:48 AM 11-06-2012
Do you have options to move on?
littlemissmuffet 10:57 AM 11-06-2012
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
I am just burned out. I feel like I get nothing but hard kids (although I was told by another provider that it isn't just me getting them, kids are getting harder because they lack discipline and parental involvment). I am just so emotionally drained. I feel like I repeat myself so much, and I know that to a degree that is normal. But so much so that I dread having to do it all again when they wake up/next day/whatever. I admit, this is not what I wanted to do forever. It was something I just decided to do to be home with my kids and be able to make some money. I did it for years before I had my own kids, I know what it is like, I didn't just jump into something I had no idea what it was like. But I am tired of not getting to call in sick, leave early to go to my kids sports, and on and on. I am tired of parents demanding of me. I am just tired. I want to be more involved with my own kids. I am tired of the daycare kids coming first all the time. I just asked kids to start cleaning, and one of the kids is going to totally fight me. I am tired of "fighting" with 2 year olds. AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
The bolded statement is SO VERY true! Parents are becoming lazier and less involved and try to put their slack on us... not cool.

I understand all of your woes above... I experience them too. I've always been in childcare, but opened my own when I realized one day I would want kids of my own. I wanted to be set up and established before having my own... and then be able to be home with them.
Now I am finally pregnant! I am hoping to do just B/A school care starting in September to lighten my load and not have to deal with the drama of little ones (I know, SAers are a whole new drama of their own, but I think I prefer older kids) but I already know that once my own kiddo is in school I will make a career change.

Even though I have bad days, I can still find comfort in solace in the positive things about running a daycare/working from home... no commute, I can wear whatever I want, I don't have to deal with office drama, I can begin cooking while kids are still here and have supper on the table at a reasonable hour, I can get my daily chores/laundry done while the kids are here, I have great nappers so for 2 hours most days I do get some quiet time to make sure appointments/schedules are organized, I get to teach little ones and watch them learn/grow, my child will have built-in friends as s/he grows, I will get to spend more time with my child while still earning an income that I would if I worked outside the home... etc.

As soon as I can't see those positives anymore, or they don't outweigh the negatives then I know it will be time to quit (and I hope that doesn't happen until my kid is SA).

Are you able to go to school/take some classes while still doing daycare in something that interests you and make a career move once you're done?
Are there any interesting jobs available in your area that you can start applying for?
Is working less hours/days per week with daycare an option?
sahm2three 11:49 AM 11-06-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Do you have options to move on?
Not really sure. I have no formal education in the way of college. I would love to go back to school, and I think I know what I want to do, but it doesn't look like I can do online classes, looks like I am going to have to go back to school full time on campus.

I wish the disrespect of little kids didn't bother me so much. I wish I could just let it roll off my back, but I am just so bothered by it and it makes me worry about so many things with this generation. I just want to shape these kids, and I want to pick up the slack where these parents are lacking. I wish I didn't care so much. I wish I could have been a stay at home mom longer, to get my youngest to an age/grade in school where he didn't want me to be so involved. Wish it didn't completely shred my heart to miss my kids games because I can't get there because they are before I am off for the night. Wish I didn't take it so personally when parents sign on with me, fully knowing I don't have preschool, and I "raise" their kids, and boom, when it is time for preschool they yank them from me and put them in a daycare with preschool. I wish there wasn't so much wear and tear on my house. I wish I was successful in teaching these daycare kids respect to other peoples things, and didn't have to throw away so many broken toys and books. So many things that I wish.

I know that no job will be perfect. I just don't know what to do. Not sure what the right move is.
Soccermom 12:27 PM 11-06-2012
I too have days when I just want to be a SAHM and do things for my own kids but every day, like you, I do for everyone else's. I was feeling soooooo down these last few weeks.

I find it helpful to put an end date to the whole situation. Example - I plan to close in June. The thought of that helps me get through the days and weeks...knowing that at some point I will be free I may choose to stay open a little longer when that date gets near...maybe I will never close but thinking I have options makes me feel better.

I have also started taking time for myself. I got my hair done the other day. I went out and bought myself new makeup and expensive face cream (for all the wrinkles I am getting from being a DP lol). I went out this morning and bought myself some supplies to do crafts for Christmas with my girl friends on friday night. ( A little thing I planned to help me get some MUCH needed adult time in!) It feels good to spend some of my hard earned cash on myself for once and to have something like a craft night to look forward to.

I now try to take a long hot bubble bath and think about the joy I get from what I do. They are small things but they mean a lot. Things like watching my kids play outside with my DCKS...hearing their laughter and seeing them run all over the yard. Seeing the light in all their eyes when I take out my decorations for a Holiday. Or the homemade card I got the other day that said - I love you because you are so nice to us and I like coming to your house.
Sometimes it is important to take a moment to appreciate the good moments.

Also sometimes you have to revamp your daycare in order for it to meet your needs. Could you take in kids part time ? Just mornings until 2pm or just a few days a week? Maybe just watch SA afterschool? (I have taken my SA kids to one of my DD's events and they were really good..they enjoyed watching the event with me)

**Hugs to you** I know exactly how you feel. You can always PM me if you want to discuss it more.
GrandmaDinasDaycare 01:12 PM 11-06-2012
I too have felt like that a lot lately mostly due to lazy parents and lack of respect. I took a break a couple years ago for 3 years and worked in banking. I have to tell you doll its no better, catty women are worse than these kids any day. You are your own boss for the most part. You may just need a couple of great girls days off to regroup.

Miss Dina (Schaefer)
Owner of Grandma Dinas Daycare
Yreka, California
bunnyslippers 01:43 PM 11-06-2012
I could have written this myself! I have been so down lately. I never want to get out of bed, and I am fighting with everyone. The daycare kids are driving me crazy, there parents are driving me crazy, and my own family is driving me crazy.

I literally JUST decided that I am taking control back. Of everything. Starting tomorrow, toys are being put out only if they are earned. If they aren't treated respectfully (put back properly, handled appropriately) I am putting them away. There will be no more wandering around aimlessly instead of cleaning. Clean up, or you can sit at the table with nothing and clean up when everyone else is done. If you are talking while I am reading a story, then I will wait until you are quiet and begin the story again. If you bring a toy from home, it is going in your bag and staying there.

I am a certified teacher, and used to run an autism program district wide for a huge school system. If I could handle that, then I can get some control back in my own world.

I think as providers, it is easy to fall into the trap that we have to do everything to please our clients. Not true. They need us as much as we need them. I will not be treated like crap anymore!

I just scheduled myself for a paid day off in January, so I can go away with my girlfriends for 4 days. No kids, no husbands. Just girls, pajamas, movies, wine and snacks. For 4 days. And it is only 10 weeks away!

Sorry to hijack your thread. I just can so relate! Hang in there, and try to find your inner strength!
LK5kids 02:58 PM 11-06-2012
Yes, take care of yourself. This is a giving profession! Elementary teachers get just as burnt out. Nurses, counselors, anyone in a giving profession has high burn out rates. I've read that a big % of teachers leave after five years (public school system)

Take some time to refuel. Do those little things that make you happy, whatever they may be. It doesn't have to be a big spa day. Yes, manicures and pedicures are great but small things add up too.

I've decided to subscribe to some magazines like Self, Shape and Glamour so they come in the mail and I can get a little surprise and take some time to read them during nap time.
I like to go and get a light latte about 5:30 a.m. (kids come at 6:30) and chat a little with my bff. I make sure to exercise about 5 days a week if I at all can.
I have a sub come in one afternoon so I can go hang out at the local coffee shop, etc.

Try to take some time for you. The things you do to relax are important!
biglou 06:38 PM 11-06-2012
burn out is true for all professions. dont know the details about your operation, but if it is big enough to generate enough income to pay for an assistant to give you more free time to get a break, you may want to consider it. then decide later if it's time to move on.
Reply Up