Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cannot Roll Over?
Ariana 03:33 PM 10-01-2019
I just started a 16 month old that cannot roll over, cannot crawl but can walk. I have never had a child like this before and for some reason it concerns me a little.

Her mom says she started climbing stairs recently but I have not seen it and whenever we do stairs she wants to be carried.

Should I be concerned or is it nothing to worry about?
springv 06:43 PM 10-01-2019
I've heard some kids skip crawling entirely and start walking
jenboo 09:20 PM 10-01-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I just started a 16 month old that cannot roll over, cannot crawl but can walk. I have never had a child like this before and for some reason it concerns me a little.

Her mom says she started climbing stairs recently but I have not seen it and whenever we do stairs she wants to be carried.

Should I be concerned or is it nothing to worry about?
The not rolling sounds pretty weird! I know some kids don't crawl
Ariana 05:02 AM 10-02-2019
She cannot climb stairs at all and is crying non stop all day long!!! Ugh
hwichlaz 06:47 AM 10-02-2019
Neither thing is okay to skip. Not crawling will have a negative effect on learning to read later because she's not crossing that midline.

I'd do an ASQ and see if she's missing other skills.
Blackcat31 06:53 AM 10-02-2019
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Neither thing is okay to skip. Not crawling will have a negative effect on learning to read later because she's not crossing that midline.

I'd do an ASQ and see if she's missing other skills.
My own son skipped crawling and walked very early.
He has always been an avid reader with exceptional reading skills.

I wonder if those kids that skip certain milestones that we consider necessary make up for it elsewhere?

I've had a few kiddos in care that skipped crawling but I have no idea if it impacted their future learning or not.

I know each stage is important and relevant to the next but there are always those exceptions.

@Ariana~ I would do the ASQ for sure but I'd recommend the parent discuss this with their pediatrician and go from there. Maybe you can share some of your observations for the parent to bring with to the Dr's.
hwichlaz 07:01 AM 10-02-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My own son skipped crawling and walked very early.
He has always been an avid reader with exceptional reading skills.

I wonder if those kids that skip certain milestones that we consider necessary make up for it elsewhere?

I've had a few kiddos in care that skipped crawling but I have no idea if it impacted their future learning or not.

I know each stage is important and relevant to the next but there are always those exceptions.

@Ariana~ I would do the ASQ for sure but I'd recommend the parent discuss this with their pediatrician and go from there. Maybe you can share some of your observations for the parent to bring with to the Dr's.
Skipping crawling is different than being unable to. Even kids that skip crawling and go straight to walking will crawl around pretending to be a puppy or a tiger. The inability to do it is what would have me concerned.
Ariana 09:50 AM 10-02-2019
I think skipping crawling is one thing but to skip crawling AND rolling over seems odd to me! When I lay her down she cannot get up. I am not sure how she can possibly climb stairs if she cannot move her body in a crawling motion.

It is her first week here and so far she is really distressed. I am definitely getting a vibe that something is off with her. I will get to know her a bit more before saying anything to the parents at this point.

Thanks everyone!
daycarediva 10:03 AM 10-02-2019
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Skipping crawling is different than being unable to. Even kids that skip crawling and go straight to walking will crawl around pretending to be a puppy or a tiger. The inability to do it is what would have me concerned.
I had one like this and she was a late-r walker. (17 months) at 2 1/2 she still cannot do stairs well, climb and is generally unsteady. Cognitively, she's got great speech and excels in other areas (even doing well with fine motor skills).

She was a 'container kid'. Baby sit me up, bumbo, exersaucer, high chair, walker. (Previous) daycare and at home. Parents know better now and 4 month old sister is already rolling. Pediatrician never mentioned concerns and she JUST doesn't qualify for PT so she gets lots of outside time and they've enrolled her in dance, gymnastics and swim lessons for this winter.
Ariana 01:46 PM 10-04-2019
So parents told me she rolled over for the first time last night. All it took was 3 days at my house
Ms.Kay 06:16 AM 10-05-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
So parents told me she rolled over for the first time last night. All it took was 3 days at my house
Ha!!! We have super powers!!!!
Tags:confinement equipment, milestones
Reply Up