Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Running
Araem910 10:59 AM 03-04-2020
We all can agree that children need exercise , and have plenty of energy! But do you allow running? I personally do not allow running INSIDE my house and I have one child that can’t sit still alone resist the urge to run while encouraging others to join in, creating chaos ALL day. How do you all deal with this in the winter?
daycarediva 11:00 AM 03-04-2020
other physical activity, heavy lifting, sensory activities, dance breaks, strategically placing furniture to avoid "straight areas" to run in, getting outside regardless of weather, even if it's just 5 minutes.
Ariana 11:24 AM 03-04-2020
I do allow running but there is a time and a place for it. Furniture is pushed back and giant bean bag landing pads are put out. The kids run back and forth to their hearts content. When the daycare is going as usual the furniture is placed in such a way as to not allow running.
Araem910 12:07 PM 03-04-2020
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
other physical activity, heavy lifting, sensory activities, dance breaks, strategically placing furniture to avoid "straight areas" to run in, getting outside regardless of weather, even if it's just 5 minutes.
Thank you! I never thought about lifting , but do have sensory activities, and all the normal indoor toys/games. I just struggle with running and jumping on furniture as the main interest 🤦*♀️
Blackcat31 01:13 PM 03-04-2020
Originally Posted by Araem910:
We all can agree that children need exercise , and have plenty of energy! But do you allow running? I personally do not allow running INSIDE my house and I have one child that can’t sit still alone resist the urge to run while encouraging others to join in, creating chaos ALL day. How do you all deal with this in the winter?
How old is this child?

I don't allow the kids to play while on their feet.
All activities (other than the kitchen center) are done while sitting. This helps eliminate the urge to jump or run.

I also pair up kids so that two rowdy kids that encourage each other to be rough or wild do not ever play together.

Outside time is also a must no matter the season!
I live where it's super cold during the winter but unless it's like seriously below zero outside the kids still get dressed and run for a few minutes daily.

Outside, they are not allowed to sit unless in the sandbox..lol!
topazann 06:29 AM 03-05-2020
My kids usually don't run in the house, but sometimes they get excited or just really wired and end up running/chasing. When they get like that I give them the choice to play something else or crawl instead of run. A few times crawling around the chair instead of chasing the friend by running and they are ready to play something else. It's amazing how quickly the crawling seems to calm them down
Valerie928 07:46 AM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
How old is this child?

I don't allow the kids to play while on their feet.
All activities (other than the kitchen center) are done while sitting. This helps eliminate the urge to jump or run.

I also pair up kids so that two rowdy kids that encourage each other to be rough or wild do not ever play together.

Outside time is also a must no matter the season!
I live where it's super cold during the winter but unless it's like seriously below zero outside the kids still get dressed and run for a few minutes daily.

Outside, they are not allowed to sit unless in the sandbox..lol!
I implement the same things here. There is ABSOLUTELY no running in my home. When my own son was 4, he and his sister were running around. My son fell, feet flew right up under him, he landed on his head. A less than split second accident. He fractured his skull and had a subdural hematoma (brain bleed) which required emergency neuro surgery, we almost lost him. We go outside here as much as possible to run and play.
Blackcat31 07:51 AM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by Valerie928:
I implement the same things here. There is ABSOLUTELY no running in my home. When my own son was 4, he and his sister were running around. My son fell, feet flew right up under him, he landed on his head. A less than split second accident. He fractured his skull and had a subdural hematoma (brain bleed) which required emergency neuro surgery, we almost lost him. We go outside here as much as possible to run and play.
Oh my goodness!! That is crazy! I am so glad your son is okay!

But yes, that is exactly what I am trying to avoid.
So many kids are allowed to use their homes as gymnasiums that injuries WILL happen when all those kids are together in one area.

Liability for me trumps everything else.

A few years back I had just gotten a new playground set.
The slide was HUGE!! We made rules that only specific aged kids would be allowed to play on it.

One of my DCM's with a new 3 yr old was mad her child couldn't play in it. I explained why but DCM was too busy rolling her eyes to actually listen to what I was saying.

FF the next week, she shows up at daycare with her 3 yr old in a cast from her knee down. I asked what happened.

They had gone to the park over the weekend and someone went down a slide that was way too big for them to manage and they broke their ankle.
It wasn't a complicated break and the child quickly but I couldn't resist rubbing it in to DCM how right I was.
rosieteddy 07:52 AM 03-05-2020
I had a great 3 season porch.When it was raining or too cold we would put coats on.There was an oval rug they marched and pulled pull toys around the rug to music.Sometimes we would play like musical chairs only stop the music and they stopped.It helped to give some movement and exercise to their day in a controlled setting.Furniture was set up in other areas to discourage running.On same porch I had 3 large spring horses two small and a jumperoo along with a child size trampoline.We would move to that area for more expending of energy.It worked great when we couldn't go out.
Sunshine69 08:19 AM 03-05-2020
We only run outside. We try to take a walk every day, weather permitting. Running is only allowed in the grass, not on the pavement.

Sometimes we do light exercises inside, if we can’t get out, but that is controlled and supervised like anything else. Most of the time we don’t make it through the whole exercise plan because someone loses self-control and we have to stop.

Bean-bag and marching games are always good. If I don’t already have a headache, I will give them musical instruments and let them have their own parade 😳

Otherwise, jumping, twirling, wrestling, etc. of any kind is not allowed. Once any of it is allowed, it’s just too much for little ones to remember the circumstances under which those things can be done. If I said they could do it only while the babies aren’t walking and crawling nearby, they just aren’t observant enough to know the difference. Just easier for them to remember it isn’t allowed.
Araem910 09:26 AM 03-05-2020
Thank you so much for all the replies. Such great suggestions sometimes I feel like a broken record , constantly telling this child to stop running and it never fails, at some point in the day, a time out is necessary or worse, he gets hurt after falling down not to mention the feeling of chaos and out of controllness. I only have 2 more weeks of childcare ( I’ve decided after 17 years to discontinue- just too much for me to handle anymore). All these suggestions are great and will hopefully make these last 2 weeks easier. Thanks everyone!
Annalee 09:54 AM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
👍one of the first things my mentor taught me was how to set up an inside environment that does not say “run”. My play centers inside have one way in and one way out almost like a “maze” inside. 😊
Snowmom 10:40 AM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by Araem910:
Thank you so much for all the replies. Such great suggestions sometimes I feel like a broken record , constantly telling this child to stop running and it never fails, at some point in the day, a time out is necessary or worse, he gets hurt after falling down not to mention the feeling of chaos and out of controllness. I only have 2 more weeks of childcare ( I’ve decided after 17 years to discontinue- just too much for me to handle anymore). All these suggestions are great and will hopefully make these last 2 weeks easier. Thanks everyone!
Good luck on your next venture.

I have the very same child. He's 4.5, he knows the rules but has to be reminded 10x a day.

He's even lost a tooth at my house from running & falling face first.

Anytime he starts flailing about or running, my mom voice comes out and yells "sit". And he sits. Right where he is. 10x a day.
Hunni Bee 12:07 PM 03-09-2020
I learned the "sit to play" rule from Blackcat years ago. I have a small classroom (12x14) filled with all this furniture and centers I must have for NAEYC and QRIS, and there's 11 of us in here...running is disastrous.
Tags:large motor play
Reply Up