Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm Going To Quit Interviewing For A While. I Keep Bad Interviews/Clients Lately
permanentvacation 06:12 AM 04-02-2012
I have had the worst interviews and new clients lately! I think I will just stick with my current children and parents for a while!

I had a military family hire me about a month ago. I assumed that she would be on time especially since was in the military. BUT NOOO!!! Her child attended for 2 weeks and she was on time in the morning for drop off TWICE! That's it! The other days, she was anywhere from 1/2 hour to TWO HOURS LATE!! I finally fussed about her lateness and she got mad at ME!! UMMM!?!?!?!

Then I had an interview. Now I am licensed for 24/7 care and I don't mind doing the later hours, but I do need to know what each child's schedule will be so I can plan accordingly. So I ask my parents what the earliest drop off time and the latest pick up time will be that they will need. So I got a phone call with the mom saying she needed 7 - 5:30. I said that's fine and scheduled the interview. On the interview, the dad asked me if it would be alright if they were an hour or two late to pick their child up!!?!?!? He honestly wanted to be able to just randomly without notice just show up an hour or two late to pick up the child!!! I told him that I need to know what time to expect to get off work and need to know what the child's hours will be. He promptly got up from the table and walked to the other side of the room. He was DONE with the interview! The wife continued talking with me, but I could tell that he wasn't going to hire me since I wouldn't let them be randomly 1-2 hours late!

Then interviewed and was hired by a family that was supposed to start this morning. They paid me on the interview for their first week. I happened to see them last night at Walmart. I didn't recognize them at first, but the dad called me to them and we talked about them coming to daycare this morning. Then they DIDN'T SHOW UP TODAY!!??? Can you tell me why?? I just don't understand! I called the number that I have for them to ask where the child is. The number is the mom's work number and they said that she called out today. I just don't know why she didn't call me to tell me that she would not be here today. All I can assume is that for some reason they changed their minds and will not be attending my daycare. If they were going to be attending, I would think that they would have called to let me know that they won't be here today and say something like, "We'll see you tomorrow." If they do show up tomorrow, I don't want to have them as clients anyway since they didn't even show up or call on their first day.

So, I think I will stop interviewing for a while and just keep the ones that I have for right now. I just don't know why I've been getting the bad interiviews and clients lately.
MizzCheryl 09:46 AM 04-02-2012
That is pretty rude. Seems like people are so unreliable these days. I had one that was supposed to start a new job today and she had told me many times she would be an hour earlier today. So, I got up and got ready and she never bothered to show or call. SO RUDE!
It happens more and more. I really appreciate parents that will give you a call if something comes up. I don't know how some of these people keep a job.

Don't be surprised if they just pop in tomorrow am like it was nothing.
beachgrl 10:12 AM 04-02-2012
Many people I have found are very rude and inconsiderate when it comes to home daycares, they wouldn't pull that mess with a regular child care center because they don't necessarily have the space and often have waiting lists so they would just kick the fam and move to the next ones who would show up. I have run into so many people scheduling interviews or visits and then never showing, people who were pretty certain that I never hear from again because they found something else and can't be bothered to let me know.

I had one parent who told me they wanted to start possibly a certain week but then did not let me know for sure what day, then showed up very early one am bc their dck would be arriving 15 min earlier than my opening time and my first kids dont arrive until an hour or more after my opening time so I was upstairs and never heard them, I was getting ready and had no idea they were at my home because they did not communicate well.

I just don't know what people think or maybe it's that they dont and they are so entitled they don't consider others at all...I had a parent pop in who I had talked to and interviewed months ago. they seemed certain then but I never heard back from them. She just called me and said she was in my driveway and wanted to come by and talk to me again so I let her come in and basically do another inteview/discuss rates and hours/while I was trying to watch the kids who just wanted to play with us lol...anyway, was supposed to let me know something that evening once her hubby got home. I was willing to work with them on coming an hour earlier in the am then I even open, give them a discount even due to some days they wouldnt be coming regulary all week and yet she didn't even let me know one way or another. Then I got an email notification that a new child care job was listed on care. com...want to take a wild guess who it was?????? omg...I still havent heard anything back from them but I am interested to see if they do call once they see other people arent going to watch two kids for bottom dollar. They want someone ed with early childhood exp and all but want to pay babysitter prices or less it seems to me, either way...have heard nada from them.

I have got where I just expect that people will be no shows or "forget" or whatever and don't actually count anyone until they sign up and their kids show up in my house. Even the ones I got recently only attended for a week before I lost them due to them being sick and mom not being able to continue school.

It has been so hard to get the last two kids!!!!
permanentvacation 02:42 PM 04-02-2012
I think that since we work in our home, some people think they don't have to be as professional with us as they would with a center. They also think that since we're home late in the evening, that they can just pop up at any time day or NIGHT!! Whereas a center only has employees there during their business hours.

I called my friend who also does daycare to tell her about the new client that didn't show up or call me today and she said that she had someone do the same thing to her today!!! It was two different families - mine had a 3 year old boy and hers had a 2 year old girl.

I had a lady hire me, came to daycare for about a week or so then dropped off the face of the earth. A few days later, I saw an ad from her offering babysitting!! Here you are required to be licensed to operate a childcare out of your house. So I turned her in!!
MizzCheryl 05:33 PM 04-02-2012
In NC if you have more than 2 w/o a liscence it is a felony.
MarinaVanessa 05:55 PM 04-02-2012
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:

I had a lady hire me, came to daycare for about a week or so then dropped off the face of the earth. A few days later, I saw an ad from her offering babysitting!! Here you are required to be licensed to operate a childcare out of your house. So I turned her in!!
Sorry, just had to laugh
SunshineMama 05:07 AM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by Clueless:
In NC if you have more than 2 w/o a liscence it is a felony.
Does that include your own kids?

Just curious bc I know ppl there.
DaisyMamma 10:37 AM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:

DaisyMamma 10:45 AM 04-03-2012
I just had a call last night, at 8pm for a 2.5 yo boy.
I returned the call at 10:30am and we had a great conversation, she sounded like a sure thing. Said she would be here about noon or earlier for an interview... no show!!!
It's SO RUDE. You have a phone, so use it!
I should have known...who calls at 8pm???

BTW, I don't consider it as a family hiring me. I don't work for the family. I offer a service and if they choose to buy that service they follow the policies I provide, period.
Also, if I feel the family is not a good fit I don't let them enroll. I had a very upset woman the other day because I felt a different family was a better fit, so I told her sorry, the spot has been taken. She actually asked me to call that family back and tell them she was there first! seriously??? I don't want a DCM like that!!! No, I will do no such thing, lol.
Mary Poppins 10:51 AM 04-03-2012
I had a call a while back at 9:00 pm from a grandma who was calling for her son about a 15mo little girl who is apparently in the middle of a nasty custody dispute. They needed PT care for her every other week since she would be going to her mom inbetween.

Yes, that sounds like a perfect fit. Not!

This is why I am afraid to fill my last spot. I have it way too good right now with the dcf's I have!
DaisyMamma 11:18 AM 04-03-2012
9:00! What's with people?

The "no show" from earlier just showed up : 2:00! NAP TIME !
She comes in and says "it's nap time?" Well, duh, yes!
meanwhile my dogs bark and a 1 year old wakes up...... thanks lady.
Mary Poppins 11:42 AM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by lymemomma:

Send her a bill!!!

Mary Poppins 11:44 AM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:

I was curious too and did some investigating. All I could find is that it is a misdemeanor in NC to operate any sort of cc facility without a license. If it is a felony, that would be... extreme!!
wdmmom 11:44 AM 04-03-2012

I don't do arrivals or departures during naptime.

I would have sent her packing.
permanentvacation 01:06 PM 04-03-2012
I got a call from the mom of my new boy that was supposed to start yesterday but didn't call or show up. She called this morning and apologized for not calling yesterday. She said he woke up yesterday morning and got sick all over the place which continued all day. So she was busy tending to him and didn't even think to call daycare. She has never put him in daycare before, so I can believe her about that. She said his dad stayed home with him today and if he's better, they hope to be here at daycare tomorrow. So, at least I found out what happened and I expect that he is going to be attending my daycare.

My friend who also had a child not show up or call yesterday - what was supposed to be her 1st day there told me that she called the mom and the mom told her that she simply decided to stay home for the day. But she didn't even bother to call my friend and let her know that they would not be showing up on their first day of daycare! However, they did show up today. My friend made sure to tell the mother that she has other people that would love to take her space in the daycare!! The mother now knows to call if she's not going to go to daycare that day! So I guess things will work out.
littlemisssunshine 01:28 PM 04-03-2012

story of my life ... lol rude unreliable people nowadays...
MizzCheryl 06:23 PM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:

No not your own kids or any kids related to you. If they are related in any way the state has no say. But if they are not related and you have over 2 you can get into trouble.
With a liscense we can keep 5 under the age of 5 and 3 school age. You can keep more schoolage but the take a preschool slot. No more than 8 total.
If your own kids are under the age of 5 thae count as one of your daycare spots. When they go to school you do not have to count them as a DC kid.
If you live in a single wide trailer I think you can only keep 3 preschool (might be 2) and 2 school age
MizzCheryl 07:06 PM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by Mary Poppins:
I was curious too and did some investigating. All I could find is that it is a misdemeanor in NC to operate any sort of cc facility without a license. If it is a felony, that would be... extreme!!
http://nrckids.org/STATES/NC/nc_110_2012.pdf
I was just going on what I was told. It could just be a misdemeanor.
They may not throw the book at ya but they like to scare people.
If ya say the kids are related to you I am not sure there is much they could do. But heaven forbid a child gets hurt and you don't have a license you could go to jail!
At least thats what they tell us.

This is awful wordy.
I pasted some of it below.
110-98.1. Prima facie evidence of existence of child care.
A child care arrangement providing child care for more than two children for more than four
hours per day on two or more consecutive days shall be prima facie evidence of the existence of
a child care facility.
110-99. Possession and display of license.
(a) It shall be unlawful for a child care facility to operate without a current license
authorized for issuance under G.S. 110-88.
(b) Each child care facility shall display its current license in a prominent place at all times
so that the public may be on notice that the facility is licensed and may observe any rating which
may appear on the license. Any license issued to a child care facility under this Article shall
remain the property of the State and may be removed by persons employed or designated by the
Secretary in the event that the license is revoked or suspended, or in the event that the rating is
changed.
(c) A person who provides only drop-in or short-term child care as described in G.S.
110-86(2)d. and G.S. 110-86(2)d1., excluding drop-in or short-term child care provided in
churches, shall register with the Department that the person is providing only drop-in or
short-term child care. Any person providing only drop-in or short-term child care as described in
G.S. 110-86(2)d. and G.S. 110-86(2)d1., excluding drop-in or short-term child care provided in
churches, shall display in a prominent place at all times a notice that the child care arrangement
is not required to be licensed and regulated by the Department and is not licensed and regulated
by the Department.
110-103. Criminal penalty.
(a) Any person who violates the provisions of G.S. 110-98 shall be guilty of a Class 1
misdemeanor. Violations of G.S. 110-98(2), 110-99(b), 110-99(c), and 110-102 are exempted
from the provisions of this subsection.
(b) It shall be a Class I felony for any person who operates a child care facility to:
(1) Willfully violate the provisions of G.S. 110-99(a), or
(2) Willfully violate the provisions of this Article while providing child care for
three or more children, for more than four hours per day on two consecutive
days.
(c) Any person who violates the provisions of this Article and, as a result of the violation,
causes serious injury to a child attending the child care facility, shall be guilty of a Class H
felony.
(d) Any person who violates subsection (a) of this section, and has a prior conviction for
violating subsection (a), shall be guilty of a Class H felony.
§ 110-
Tags:interview - circus, interview - from hell
Reply Up