Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCPs Calling After Hours?
DaisyMamma 04:47 AM 04-19-2013
It's even in my policies to contact me only during business hours. One parent called me 3 times last night (and of course it was my birthday so this irritated me even more - especially since this same parent called me while I was away in Disney world last month!)
No, I did not answer the phone, but my problem is that even though I know to ignore it to teach them to leave me alone, it still bothers me all night and obviously I'm stilling thinking about it this morning.
This parent is leaving in 6 days, so I'm mostly venting here, but I had another parent recently get texting privileges on her phone and was texting me at night a couple times. Again I ignored it and didn't respond until the right time the next morning. One of the texts was at 10pm!! She actually did get the hint rather quickly.

What are your thoughts?

I feel that if I had a daycare center they wouldn't try to call because I would be closed.
I wonder if it is partially my fault for giving out my cell#? BUT I really prefer simple communications through text. AND it's in my policies to not call/text after hours.
Does anyone have a separate "personal" cell phone? I'm considering getting one and turning off my work phone at closing time since I can't handle seeing business calls come through without getting annoyed. After all, it's only another $10/month for another line. I wonder if I can have my "personal" calls/texts forwarded to my work line during business hours? That might be worth it for $10!! hmmmm
blandino 05:17 AM 04-19-2013
Yes, I have found myself irritated with the same thing. I especially have a problem with calls/texts while I am still getting ready in the morning. Those I have started answering at 7:00, and I think my clients may have gotten the drift, since they seem to have stopped.

I have also thought about adding a line to have a seperate line for the daycare. Also, Marinavanessa has posted about a Service that google has that can give you a number for a business, that still rings through your phone. I believe it is called Google Voice.
DaisyMamma 05:19 AM 04-19-2013
OMG
I just got out of the shower to find her children in my livingroom! DCM nowhere to be found - she left!

DaisyMamma 05:24 AM 04-19-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
Yes, I have found myself irritated with the same thing. I especially have a problem with calls/texts while I am still getting ready in the morning. Those I have started answering at 7:00, and I think my clients may have gotten the drift, since they seem to have stopped.

I have also thought about adding a line to have a seperate line for the daycare. Also, Marinavanessa has posted about a Service that google has that can give you a number for a business, that still rings through your phone. I believe it is called Google Voice.
I actually have something like that already but really need the text option. Phone calls take too much time. Texts you can respond to to when you have time.
I currently have an in town *home* number that I advertise with since its local and It rings on my cell. I could probably change my cell # to that home number, get rid of the cell# I have and get another phone. It will end up costing the same since I can cancel the *home* service.
Ups_and-downs 05:26 AM 04-19-2013
That's crazy and inconsiderate. How could you leave your child alone. How did they get in in the first place? This is why my door is locked at all times. Parents are allowed to come into the dayhome whenever they want, but they need to let me know they are coming.
e.j. 05:32 AM 04-19-2013
Assuming you're not running late (and there's no excuse for leaving her kids without your knowledge even if you are!), I'd be on the phone to her immediately. I would tell her she has 30 minutes to pick her kids up and that a termination letter would be waiting for her. I've never termed anyone and don't make the suggestion lightly. With only 6 more days to go anyway....I'd be done with her now. Unbelievable.
DaisyMamma 05:33 AM 04-19-2013
Originally Posted by Ups_and-downs:
That's crazy and inconsiderate. How could you leave your child alone. How did they get in in the first place? This is why my door is locked at all times. Parents are allowed to come into the dayhome whenever they want, but they need to let me know they are coming.
Funny. I almost locked the door before I showered. Oh well. Like I said, 6 more days.
Patches 05:44 AM 04-19-2013
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
I actually have something like that already but really need the text option. Phone calls take too much time. Texts you can respond to to when you have time.
I currently have an in town *home* number that I advertise with since its local and It rings on my cell. I could probably change my cell # to that home number, get rid of the cell# I have and get another phone. It will end up costing the same since I can cancel the *home* service.
I'm pretty sure you can text through google voice. I had it for awhile on another phone but I can't remember for sure. I have Talkatone on my cell now and you can text through it and it gives you a seperate #. The call quality it sometimes really bad but if you don't use the phone part, it shouldn't be a problem
DaisyMamma 05:53 AM 04-19-2013
Originally Posted by Patches:
I'm pretty sure you can text through google voice. I had it for awhile on another phone but I can't remember for sure. I have Talkatone on my cell now and you can text through it and it gives you a seperate #. The call quality it sometimes really bad but if you don't use the phone part, it shouldn't be a problem
I'm going to do some research later.

Originally Posted by e.j.:
Assuming you're not running late (and there's no excuse for leaving her kids without your knowledge even if you are!), I'd be on the phone to her immediately. I would tell her she has 30 minutes to pick her kids up and that a termination letter would be waiting for her. I've never termed anyone and don't make the suggestion lightly. With only 6 more days to go anyway....I'd be done with her now. Unbelievable.
She was 50 minutes early.
Yes, ridiculous!
MarinaVanessa 06:30 AM 04-19-2013
Originally Posted by Patches:
I use google voice. I love it and its free. It gives you.a separate phone number which really just transfers your calls to whatever phone number(s) you want It also allows texting but not MMS (no picture or video messaging, which suits me just fine).

I give out my google number and print that number on my advertisements (ads, flyers, business cards etc). Parents call and text that number and I have them transferred to both my house and cell number at the same time (both ring when the number is called) so even if I'm away from home like at the park with the kids I have me cell phone with me and get their calls/texts. If I go out of town or evenings and weekends I can just temporarily disable my cell phone from alerting me of calls and texts.

It works for me and I love it. I don't always turn the alerts off but I don't mind just not answering the calls or texts, they can wait. I don't think I've ever had a client call or text me and then assume that a missed call or unanswered text meant that they could just drop off their kids and then just leave though ???
TheGoodLife 06:48 AM 04-19-2013
Originally Posted by e.j.:
WHAT?! I agree- IMMEDIATE termination! What if something happened to a child, you'd be liable! Not to mention the fact that she entered your home w/o permission! I am so angry on your behalf I'd record the situation, terminate, and call your licensing agent to let them know what happened!!!
allsmiles 07:26 AM 04-19-2013
i have a separate line but so far no problems with them calling after hours.. i had one parent that constantly wanted to PAY after hours..the father picked up the child and she would come 7 or 8 to pay when she got off from work..and TALK..umm dont u wanna get home to ur kids?? i am so glad she had to get family to watch the kids.. i hate that because its our home they can come or call when they want to.. when she asked to pick up her childrens things i said SURE!..between the hours of 6:30am-6:30pm please.. she texted back lol.. like i was being rude or something.. ..never came and got the stuff either.. WHATEVER..
Laurel 07:36 AM 04-19-2013
I have never termed anyone in 16 years but if a parent brought their child in 50 minutes early and left them there by themselves they wouldn't be coming back the next day. I would keep them that day though just to save the hassle of getting them to come right away.

I would be giving them an earful as well as a written statement. Of course, I would do it in a professional way.

Wow, just wow!

I know you are closing but if parents want to bring children early, I would be charging them for that extra time. That usually nips early/late problems.

Laurel
crazydaycarelady 07:47 AM 04-19-2013
I have given all of my dcparents my cell number and I LIKE texting, but like you said: during dc hours, but still texts are better than phone calls.

I have recently started getting about 3 texts from different parents on Sundays. I also got a text on Saturday at 6:39 from a dcmom!

I suppose it is my fault for leaving my phone on but I like it on in case one of my kids needs me.
MaritimeMummy 10:46 AM 04-19-2013
I just wonder what the heck the DCP's thought process was when they dropped their kids off.

"Helloooo? Oh well, in you go, kids".

What the heck? Who does that? You could have been tied up in the next room being robbed...okay stretch ,I know, but still. Wow.

I have parents emailing me, texting and calling past my hours. I mean, it's my fault and I'm pretty casual about it, but nothing irks me more than to be out after supper with my kids to come in and have a voice mail from a DCP asking me to "call them right away" and then have it be about something stupid like "oh did you forget to pack DCG's container back in her bag?"

I even have one parent who is so freaked out about her business that she flip flops between withdrawing her daughter, keeping her with me, increasing her hours, reducing her hours that I get an "intense' phone call from her at least once a month right at my kid's bedtime. One phone call lasted an hour of her threatening to take her daughter out come fall because my daughter will be going to preschool then, and her DD will miss my daughter too much and be "too bored" at my place without her. Okay, fine. So do what you want, but why tell me now? Why do you NEED to call me at 8pm on a Wednesday night??! We're talking about September, and it's April now!

Just recently I've stopped returning calls. I answer long, drawn-out texts with a one or two word answer. Emails...unfortunately I can't avoid answering them because it's sent through Facebook and they can always tell when I have read the message. ;
canadiancare 10:50 AM 04-19-2013
I don't mind if they are phoning to say "hey I just took them to emerge and they have an ear infection so we won't be in tomorrow" or "did we forget her snow pants?" so they know if they need to find them at home or can get them here the next day but all my parents know I check my email last thing before going to bed and first thing after I am ready in the morning so if they need to give me an attendance message that is the most efficient way.
daycare 11:13 AM 04-19-2013
I have not had the chance to read all of the replies, but I wanted to share with you that I too had this issue for sometime.

Here is how I dealt with it.

I told everyone our hours are operation are M-F from 6am to 6pm. Any phone calls or emails placed during those hours will be returned the same day.

Should you need to contact me after hours or on weekends, your emails and phone calls will be returned the next business day.

No text, phone calls or emails will be returned outside our normal business hours.

If it is an emergency, please leave me a message and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Thank you for respecting this policy.

Believe it or not it worked. I do get irritated sometimes when I still see them calling, but then realize that maybe it is on their mind at that time and if they don't call me at that time they will otherwise forget.

Or you can always attach money to it. Before or after hours calls will be considered overtime at the rate of $5,000 a minute.....lol
KnoxMom 11:38 AM 04-19-2013
I actually use a service called Callture that I LOVE. I thought the website was mediocre but took my chances anyway. I'm so glad I did. I have an automated greeting "Thank you for calling "My Daycare" where "My Motto". We currently accept children from 6 months - 5 years old. Please leave a message and your call will be returned as soon as possible. If you are a parent, please hang up and dial the Parent Direct Line. Thanks again for choosing "My Daycare". I think it makes me sound professional and although it might sound fancy, the "Parent Direct Line" is simply my cell phone :-D

It immediately sends me an email (which also goes to my phone) so I can listen to the message and it has a place where I can see the phone number, date and time I received the call as well as an option to add notes and contact information. It helps me keep up with prospective clients and label telemarketers. For example, if the message says "I'm Sally White and I'm looking for care for my 2 year old daughter who will be ready to start in 2 weeks". I then add her name and put any phone call notes as well as anticipated start dates into her file. I get to check my openings before I call and I have EVERY SINGLE phone number whether or not they actually leave a message. Nice, right? It's not free though. I pay $9.95 flat monthly but I think it is SO worth it. I know this doesn't exactly answer your question but it does filter calls from other providers asking about rates, parents of SA children and companies trying to sell me something. To get back on topic: I think you are 100% correct; if it were a center, there wouldn't be anyone answering the phone at 10 PM! I believe you should invest in a separate line if your budget allows it.
Blackcat31 12:34 PM 04-19-2013
I allow parents to text me if necessary after business hours but only until 8 PM.

For every text sent after 8 PM, I charge a fee of $5 per text.

The texts all have the times on them so the parent can't really argue with me.

I just show them my phone the next morning and add the fee to their next invoice.

I have an answering machine at daycare, they are welcome to use it 24 hours a day.

Problem solved.
KnoxMom 01:03 PM 04-19-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I allow parents to text me if necessary after business hours but only until 8 PM.

For every text sent after 8 PM, I charge a fee of $5 per text.

The texts all have the times on them so the parent can't really argue with me.

I just show them my phone the next morning and add the fee to their next invoice.

I have an answering machine at daycare, they are welcome to use it 24 hours a day.

Problem solved.
Wow, have you actually had to enforce that fee??
Blackcat31 01:16 PM 04-19-2013
Originally Posted by KnoxMom:
Wow, have you actually had to enforce that fee??
Once.

Well twice but same family.

I understand that communication is important but in 20+ years of doing this job, I have only really had 1 REAL emergency where a parent HAD to call after hours. Otherwise, it's usually stuff that can definitely wait until the next day.
MarinaVanessa 01:42 PM 04-19-2013
Originally Posted by KnoxMom:
I actually use a service called Callture that I LOVE. I thought the website was mediocre but took my chances anyway. I'm so glad I did. I have an automated greeting "Thank you for calling "My Daycare" where "My Motto". We currently accept children from 6 months - 5 years old. Please leave a message and your call will be returned as soon as possible. If you are a parent, please hang up and dial the Parent Direct Line. Thanks again for choosing "My Daycare". I think it makes me sound professional and although it might sound fancy, the "Parent Direct Line" is simply my cell phone :-D

It immediately sends me an email (which also goes to my phone) so I can listen to the message and it has a place where I can see the phone number, date and time I received the call as well as an option to add notes and contact information. It helps me keep up with prospective clients and label telemarketers. For example, if the message says "I'm Sally White and I'm looking for care for my 2 year old daughter who will be ready to start in 2 weeks". I then add her name and put any phone call notes as well as anticipated start dates into her file. I get to check my openings before I call and I have EVERY SINGLE phone number whether or not they actually leave a message. Nice, right? It's not free though. I pay $9.95 flat monthly but I think it is SO worth it. I know this doesn't exactly answer your question but it does filter calls from other providers asking about rates, parents of SA children and companies trying to sell me something. To get back on topic: I think you are 100% correct; if it were a center, there wouldn't be anyone answering the phone at 10 PM! I believe you should invest in a separate line if your budget allows it.
Google Voice does this for free:
It's great that you found something that works for you!! If you or others are thinking about a free option, Google Voice does the job
MyAngels 02:14 PM 04-19-2013
OMG
I just got out of the shower to find her children in my livingroom! DCM nowhere to be found - she left!
I would have been tempted to send her a text after her normal arrival time: "Hi there PITA DCM, I thought you guys would be in today? Enjoy your day with the kids!"

OK, so I wouldn't actually do it, but I'd be tempted, for sure
e.j. 03:38 PM 04-19-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I would have been tempted to send her a text after her normal arrival time: "Hi there PITA DCM, I thought you guys would be in today? Enjoy your day with the kids!"

Funny!
DaisyMamma 03:41 PM 04-19-2013
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
WHAT?! I agree- IMMEDIATE termination! What if something happened to a child, you'd be liable! Not to mention the fact that she entered your home w/o permission! I am so angry on your behalf I'd record the situation, terminate, and call your licensing agent to let them know what happened!!!
Originally Posted by MyAngels:

LOVE THIS!
Cradle2crayons 05:08 PM 04-19-2013
I use a program called textfree on my iPad... It's free and you get a local number just for texts... And you can pictures through it too.. It's great and I just cut the sucker off after hours lol
Lyss 07:40 PM 04-19-2013
OMG
This is such a phobia of mine!!! For this reason I always lock my door (sometimes I forget at night but always double check in the am) and let the dog out into the DC area in the am. She's got a loud scary bark if anyone tries to open it (even though she's hiding behind the couch like a chicken )

Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Google Voice does this for free:
  • Text messaging (no photo or video, just plain text)
  • Free phone number (the number that I give out to my clients, businesses etc.)
  • Free voicemail box that records voicemails. You can play them through their smart phone app or have them transcribed.
  • Customized greetings for certain numbers. My clients hear "Thank you for calling [daycare name] ...", my DD's father (not my DH) hears a generic "You have called [phone number] ... " etc. Or send certain numbers (like a hovering parent) straight to voicemail or screen/block blocked callers.
  • Completely free for or all uniformed military personnel with valid United States Military (.mil) email addresses to call the United States using Google Voice.
  • Free transcription of voicemail messages that are left (sends them either as email or as a text, whichever you prefer).
  • You can block phone numbers for free such as pesky past clients, abnoxious exes or uncolisited business calls). Blocked numbers hear "Neer, neer, neeeer. The number which you have called is no longer in service ... "
  • You can set whichever phone you want to receive the calls. Have to have at least one connected at all times but can have as many as you want and they ALL ring at the same time.
  • Send calls from Santa to whoever you want. You can fill out some simple info and a call is placed to anyone you want with a cute call from Santa. I send calls to my daycare kids that says "Ho ho ho. Hello [child's name]. This is Santa Clause. I just spoke with your daycare provider Vanessa. She told me you have been a very good girl and that this year you would like [toy]. Well, my first stop is your house in [State]. So don't forget to leave me some milk and cookies and be sure to go to bed early so I can bring you a surprise! But no peeking! All right little girl. Santa has to pack up the sled with presents and comb my beard. Merry Christmas!". I send the calls after making a craft of what they want most for Christmas.

It's great that you found something that works for you!! If you or others are thinking about a free option, Google Voice does the job
Beyond the Santa call, I didn't even realize they had all this!
TheGoodLife 10:21 PM 04-19-2013
So I'm curious what happened when you spoke to mom...?
DaisyMamma 03:43 AM 04-20-2013
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
So I'm curious what happened when you spoke to mom...?
When I said the kids were in my living room, I forgot to specify that DCKs are not allowed in my living room. Lol but the door was open and I'm sure DCM left them in the playroom.

Despite the early arrival, the only thing I was upset about was her leaving them unattended. She comes two mornings a week early and left 3 messages when calling the night before - for some reason my phone didn't let me know she had left any messages. So obviously she didn't have confirmation that is was OK, but she does know I'm ok with it.

Anyway I called her immediately when I got out of the shower. I said did you tell me you were coming early and I forgot because I was in the shower. She said she left messages. I basically told her she cant assume its ok and that she certainly can't leave children unattended in my home, that some areas are off limits for a reason and that's where I found them, how did she know iI was even home, etc etc etc.

Long story short the door will now be locked.
Believe it or not I wasn't that upset about it. So our conversion wasn't heated. Had she been a client who wasn't leaving there would have been some more significant consequences. I'm just so glad those kids are leaving as they are off the wall crazy, but need the last week's check, so whatever.

I'm going to look into the Google phone# now and either do that, or get another cell today
TheGoodLife 09:31 AM 04-20-2013
When I said the kids were in my living room, I forgot to specify that DCKs are not allowed in my living room. Lol but the door was open and I'm sure DCM left them in the playroom.

Despite the early arrival, the only thing I was upset about was her leaving them unattended. She comes two mornings a week early and left 3 messages when calling the night before - for some reason my phone didn't let me know she had left any messages. So obviously she didn't have confirmation that is was OK, but she does know I'm ok with it.

Anyway I called her immediately when I got out of the shower. I said did you tell me you were coming early and I forgot because I was in the shower. She said she left messages. I basically told her she cant assume its ok and that she certainly can't leave children unattended in my home, that some areas are off limits for a reason and that's where I found them, how did she know iI was even home, etc etc etc.

Long story short the door will now be locked.
Believe it or not I wasn't that upset about it. So our conversion wasn't heated. Had she been a client who wasn't leaving there would have been some more significant consequences. I'm just so glad those kids are leaving as they are off the wall crazy, but need the last week's check, so whatever.

I'm going to look into the Google phone# now and either do that, or get another cell today
Well, I'm glad it worked out for you! have a nice weekend, only a few more days with them, right?!
DaisyMamma 09:48 AM 04-20-2013
5 days and counting!
Reply Up