Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Baby Wearing Age Limit?
Unregistered 05:28 AM 07-15-2015
Do any of you wear babies? What is the cut off age that you will wear an infant? I never have and I have a mom who wears her three yearold which is ridiculous! She asked if I would wear the baby when it's born I said I would try it. Three year olds can walk and I will not carry a child once they can walk. What are your opinions on baby wearing???
AuntTami 05:49 AM 07-15-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Do any of you wear babies? What is the cut off age that you will wear an infant? I never have and I have a mom who wears her three yearold which is ridiculous! She asked if I would wear the baby when it's born I said I would try it. Three year olds can walk and I will not carry a child once they can walk. What are your opinions on baby wearing???
Depends on where we're going and the age of the child. Three is too old with maybe the exception of if you're out somewhere and the kid falls asleep. I'd wear him instead of carrying him lol. Give my arms a break!

Other than that, once they're able to walk or they start to fight being contained. I don't wear many babies but if i do, it's because it's more convenient for me to wear them than it is for me to let them walk. I wear the brand new babies for a couple of weeks if they like it.
Blackcat31 05:49 AM 07-15-2015
As a parent, I like the idea of baby wearing.

As a provider I do not.

It is difficult to do in group settings in my opinion. Cooking, tending to other kids, managing the day with an infant attached to you is tough.

I know many will say it can be done but I think the concept of baby wearing is to form a secure bond with the child and I think that can be done in other ways verses wearing them while I do my job......plus, I think that type of bond is for parents-baby.

I also think that as a parent, I would not want my child in a program where the provider wears the baby. I just think it presents a whole different set of issues that I wouldn't normally expect in child care.

I am sure my ideas and thoughts are more on the "old school" side of thinking but honestly, I just wouldn't agree to it. As a nanny, maybe.
As a child care provider with 10-12 kids under the age of 6. Nope. Just not something I would agree to.

I also strongly believe that its wrong to help a child with a task they can do themselves. Carrying a 3 yr old? Nope. If they can walk, I expect them to.
Heidi 05:56 AM 07-15-2015
I am not a fan of "baby wearing". But, if other parents choose to do it, fine; it's their call. Seeing someone wearing a 3 year old would probably put me into a fit of laughter, though.

Now, putting an infant in a carrier or backpack for practicality now and then is another thing. For example, when my son was a newborn, I had to go somewhere on a city bus. I "wore" him that day. I also put them in carriers to go hiking in the woods, for example.

As a childcare provider, I think it's extremely unrealistic to wear a baby. How will you change other children's diapers? Work over a hot stove? Go to the bathroom or help a child in the bathroom? I just don't think it's safe or sanitary.

At some point, too, that baby will be too big or too aware to "wear" while sleeping. Now, you're left with an infant that has never learned to go to sleep under safe-sleep guidelines. Very likely, they're also co-sleeping at home, right? Then, it's the other old argument. Rock to sleep? CIO? Personally, based on my own experiences over the last couple years, I'd steer clear.
Heidi 05:59 AM 07-15-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
As a parent, I like the idea of baby wearing.

As a provider I do not.

It is difficult to do in group settings in my opinion. Cooking, tending to other kids, managing the day with an infant attached to you is tough.

I know many will say it can be done but I think the concept of baby wearing is to form a secure bond with the child and I think that can be done in other ways verses wearing them while I do my job......plus, I think that type of bond is for parents-baby.

I also think that as a parent, I would not want my child in a program where the provider wears the baby. I just think it presents a whole different set of issues that I wouldn't normally expect in child care.

I am sure my ideas and thoughts are more on the "old school" side of thinking but honestly, I just wouldn't agree to it. As a nanny, maybe.
As a child care provider with 10-12 kids under the age of 6. Nope. Just not something I would agree to.

I also strongly believe that its wrong to help a child with a task they can do themselves. Carrying a 3 yr old? Nope. If they can walk, I expect them to.
Several of my parents carry their children in the house every day, and instead of opening gates to put them in or get them out of the playroom, they do that "uppy" thing. These are two year olds. OPEN THE GATE, people!
jenboo 06:09 AM 07-15-2015
I had an infant that I wore only when we were outside. She was 3 months old. I liked it because I was able to get up more and do more with the older kids. She liked it because this was her grumpy time of day .
I stopped once she was 4 months old and and wasn't grumpy outside anymore. Then she went on a blanket on the grass.
Eta: at the time I had two 4 great old, 2 two year olds, one 1 year old and the 3 month old baby.
mommyneedsadayoff 06:58 AM 07-15-2015
I am not a baby wearer either. I think if you are the parent, you can do what you want, but I kind of find all these contraptions for baby wearing to be kind of hilarious, and the best money making scheme in recent history. It used to just be the Baby Bjorn, bot now there are like 30 different types of wraps and devices and they are EXPENSIVE! My one dcm bought 4 of this one type that is like $300 a pop! I asked her why, because she has ONE baby, and she said she just wants to have one for every car and for the people she leaves them with, so she left me one and I have used it once when we went on a walk and I didn't want to bring the stroller.

I kind of get worried when I see some babies in those sling wraps, because they are so curled up and their heads are tucked down, so it makes me worried if they are getting adequate air and stuff, but that is just the worrier in me. I don't do the whole baby wearing all day for infants...they need to gain head control strength and that comes from tummy time, not be constantly carried around. jmo!
KiddieCahoots 08:25 AM 07-15-2015
I'm not fond of baby wearing either. But I'm talking about wee infants, not a 3yr old....they can walk!
As cute as it can be at times to wear an infant, I get too hot (hot flashes are killing me ), not to mention....my back can't handle it.
Jujube835 08:30 AM 07-15-2015
I'm A huge babywearer. Ive worn all of my children (and I still wear my 4 year old ��). I wear my daycare babies, I wear my friends kids.. Lol

My 12mo ds and 3 year old dd have never been in a stroller. I tandem wear them or my 3 year old walks sometimes. I've never brought the infant car seat anywhere.. It just stays in the car. I despise the idea of being separated from my kids (like a stroller). I love that bonding time. What if my child was in a stroller and someone's knee hit his face?!! I don't know how people use strollers at malls and stuff.

My daycare babies do go in the double stroller sometimes.. Because I can't wear them all while walking the neighborhood. But there's nobody else walking near us that could snatch them away or knee them in the face.

Edited to say that my back NEVER hurts. If your back hurts you're using a bad carrier (probably not ergonomic). Something like Tula, Kinderpack, or Lenny Lamb would alleviate any uncomfortable back pain.
KiddieCahoots 08:52 AM 07-15-2015
Originally Posted by Jujube835:
I'm A huge babywearer. Ive worn all of my children (and I still wear my 4 year old ��). I wear my daycare babies, I wear my friends kids.. Lol

My 12mo ds and 3 year old dd have never been in a stroller. I tandem wear them or my 3 year old walks sometimes. I've never brought the infant car seat anywhere.. It just stays in the car. I despise the idea of being separated from my kids (like a stroller). I love that bonding time. What if my child was in a stroller and someone's knee hit his face?!! I don't know how people use strollers at malls and stuff.

My daycare babies do go in the double stroller sometimes.. Because I can't wear them all while walking the neighborhood. But there's nobody else walking near us that could snatch them away or knee them in the face.

Edited to say that my back NEVER hurts. If your back hurts you're using a bad carrier (probably not ergonomic). Something like Tula, Kinderpack, or Lenny Lamb would alleviate any uncomfortable back pain.
I'm not so lucky to have a healthy back. I have chronic back pain, doesn't matter what kind of carrier I use.

I have never heard of a child getting knee'd in the face by another person while in the stroller. Has this actually happened to you?
mommyneedsadayoff 09:15 AM 07-15-2015

Can I ask why you wear your four year old? That just seems odd to me (I really mean no offense!), because I never knew they had carriers for that size? What is the weight limit on those carriers? I have never been concerned with someone kneeing my child in a stroller. If anything, most people see a stroller coming and take a wide path...stroller people can be crazy and have stroller (road) rage
Heidi 09:16 AM 07-15-2015

So, you're saying you walk around with 2 children attached to you, whose combined weight is half yours, and your back doesn't hurt?

Sorry, but I think walking around with a gangly 4 year old attached to you is probably a bigger safety risk than pushing someone in a stroller. I've never even heard of a child being kneed; in 25 years of raising children and watching my friends, children, and dcp's do it. I guess it could happen. Most 4 year olds are more than half your height, though. I could see tripping over their legs wearing them!

To each his own, though. Not picking on you!
mommyneedsadayoff 09:16 AM 07-15-2015

I tried to post, but it said a moderator needs to approve it, but I was just wondering if the carriers have a weight limit? I think the one my dcm left me is a tula, but I can't imagine a 3 or 4 year old fitting it.
Blackcat31 09:39 AM 07-15-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I tried to post, but it said a moderator needs to approve it, .
NO idea why that happened but it was the last 3-4 posters. So you weren't the only one.

If it happens again, try logging out (of all devices) and logging back in again. Sometimes clearing your cookies fixes the issues.
Annalee 10:06 AM 07-15-2015
I didn't "wear" my own kids so I sure would NOT "wear" someone else's.
Jujube835 11:03 AM 07-15-2015
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
I'm not so lucky to have a healthy back. I have chronic back pain, doesn't matter what kind of carrier I use.

I have never heard of a child getting knee'd in the face by another person while in the stroller. Has this actually happened to you?
You're right, I'm sorry about your bad back I didn't realize my comment seemed insensitive. Also, I've never had a child kneed in the face but I'm always SUPER nervous for the baby when I see strollers in crowds. Lol

Also, I have no idea how to quote multiple people! Haha so I'll just answer here.
Mommyneedsadayoff - my carriers have a 50 pound weight limit and my 4 year old is only 43-45 lbs. My husband normally wears him if we're at a zoo or amusement park if he (the 4yo) gets exhausted.

Heidi- yes I wear my 3yo on my back and my baby on the front. Haha I get LOTS of comments but we're happy and comfortable so I'm good with it

I don't necessarily encourage my kids be worn. They enjoy it. It's cuddly and high up, so they can see the world.

I tell my dcp at the interview that I will wear their babies instead of let them cry. I really believe that babies need to be carried and cuddled for the first 6ish months. I've noticed they're much more independent when they are down. I think it's because they're recieving the nurturing that they need by being carried, so they're more confident to explore when they are down.

Who knows though. I think we all just run our daycare how we like to. And I like to wear my dcbabies!! Lol
Heidi 11:19 AM 07-15-2015
You're right, I'm sorry about your bad back I didn't realize my comment seemed insensitive. Also, I've never had a child kneed in the face but I'm always SUPER nervous for the baby when I see strollers in crowds. Lol

Also, I have no idea how to quote multiple people! Haha so I'll just answer here.
Mommyneedsadayoff - my carriers have a 50 pound weight limit and my 4 year old is only 43-45 lbs. My husband normally wears him if we're at a zoo or amusement park if he (the 4yo) gets exhausted.

Heidi- yes I wear my 3yo on my back and my baby on the front. Haha I get LOTS of comments but we're happy and comfortable so I'm good with it

I don't necessarily encourage my kids be worn. They enjoy it. It's cuddly and high up, so they can see the world.

I tell my dcp at the interview that I will wear their babies instead of let them cry. I really believe that babies need to be carried and cuddled for the first 6ish months. I've noticed they're much more independent when they are down. I think it's because they're recieving the nurturing that they need by being carried, so they're more confident to explore when they are down.

Who knows though. I think we all just run our daycare how we like to. And I like to wear my dcbabies!! Lol

That's one reason most of us are in this business, right?

My own experience has been different than yours. Most of the "worn" babies I've known have been anything but happy to be put down. BUT, they are also almost always put in group care; something very different from mommy care. So, it's most likely not the wearing that makes them seem needy. It's the disparity of a parent doing one thing, the provider not being able to replicate that. In my case, I can't and I won't. But, if my friend wants to do it, great, as long as she doesn'twant to leave her kiddo with ME 10 hours a day!
Blackcat31 11:24 AM 07-15-2015

If you want to post replies to multiple posts you can select them by clicking the multi quote button (the one with " + marks in it). This button will change to orange to indicate that you've selected it.

Clicking post reply will then bring you to the full editor with all the posts quoted.

You can also find other "how to's" here: https://www.daycare.com/forum/faq.ph...q_vb3_replying

HTH
mommyneedsadayoff 11:59 AM 07-15-2015
NO idea why that happened but it was the last 3-4 posters. So you weren't the only one.

If it happens again, try logging out (of all devices) and logging back in again. Sometimes clearing your cookies fixes the issues.
Okay Thanks BC! I thought I said a bad word or something
Laurel 01:31 PM 07-15-2015
I wouldn't wear babies. The babies/children you carry now might not hurt your back now but after years of doing this it might affect your back as you age. Hopefully not. Just like stunt people who do stunts for years and then pay for it as they age.

Laurel
childcaremom 01:43 PM 07-15-2015
I wore my own but won't wear a dck.
Thriftylady 03:02 PM 07-15-2015

Oh wait you didn't mean my age lol.

I have never worn a child. I never wore either of mine (did people do that 16 years ago?). I am not going to wear anyone else's. Usually if I am where I can't hold a baby, I am doing something where I probably shouldn't be wearing them (cooking, dishes etc.).
happymom 03:09 PM 07-15-2015
My 3 year old CAN be worn. I have a good carrier and have tried him out in it, but I've never seen a reason or need for it. He's way to independent and needs to be walking.

We have used a stroller for him only a handful of times, but it's really parent preference. I HATE pushing strollers and having strollers when we go out (I feel like everyone thinks they can dump their stuff in/on the stroller and I get stuck taking care of it)

But I can understand why a parent would want to wear a 1-2 year old that can walk but maybe not very quickly to get things done. I would never expect or ask my DCP to wear my kid at any age though!
Unregistered 03:28 PM 07-15-2015
Hm. 'ridiculous', 'hilarious' causing a 'fit of laughter', 'expect them to walk'. Your way is not the only way, nor is it the best way. There are many ways to care for children. Many.
happymom 03:52 PM 07-15-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I tried to post, but it said a moderator needs to approve it, but I was just wondering if the carriers have a weight limit? I think the one my dcm left me is a tula, but I can't imagine a 3 or 4 year old fitting it.
There are two different tula's, I believe the standard tula goes to 35# --- I know my almost 3.5 year old still fits it, but he is petite. I believe the toddler tula goes up to 50#, they are designed to carry many sizes of children.
Blackcat31 06:14 AM 07-16-2015
Hm. 'ridiculous', 'hilarious' causing a 'fit of laughter', 'expect them to walk'. Your way is not the only way, nor is it the best way. There are many ways to care for children. Many.
When they are under MY care, they are cared for in the way I am able and willing to.

When they are under the parents care, they are cared for in the way they prefer.

BIG difference. (which is why I always strive to enroll parents that share the same parenting philosophies as I do).

No one said a parent was ridiculous, hilarious or that they caused them fits of laughter for their parenting choices.

What parents choose to do on THEIR time is THEIR right and THEIR concern.

Its when those choices are imposed on child care providers with the expectations that the child is going to receive the same thing from a NON-parent in the context of GROUP care.

Again, BIG difference.

So yes, when the kids are under my care, it IS the best and ONLY way.
MarinaVanessa 10:41 AM 07-16-2015
I enjoy baby wearing ... with my own infants and with other parent's infants. In MPO it makes things easier for me. I use the Moby wrap and I like the comfort and ability of using two hands especially when we're outside or on a trip to a park. I only wear non-mobile babies though. Once they sit up and starts crawling around on their own I like having them on the floor/grass/sand and give them the ability to discover.

Once they are crawling they are also big enough to sit in my Roundabout stroller so I don't need to wear them when we go on walks. My Roundabout stroller seats 4 so the younger ones sit in the stroller and any older kids walk. Infants too young to sit in that stroller (I don't have an infant car-seat adapter) also get worn while on walks which is great because I can push since my hands are free.

I will say though that I will only wear with parents permission and I don't do it all day. I wouldn't want to encourage the infant to always be worn or be held all day long.
Heidi 11:00 AM 07-16-2015
When they are under MY care, they are cared for in the way I am able and willing to.

When they are under the parents care, they are cared for in the way they prefer.

BIG difference. (which is why I always strive to enroll parents that share the same parenting philosophies as I do).

No one said a parent was ridiculous, hilarious or that they caused them fits of laughter for their parenting choices.

What parents choose to do on THEIR time is THEIR right and THEIR concern.

Its when those choices are imposed on child care providers with the expectations that the child is going to receive the same thing from a NON-parent in the context of GROUP care.

Again, BIG difference.

So yes, when the kids are under my care, it IS the best and ONLY way.
No...I DID say "fit of laughter". I do think it would look funny. I probably wouldn't be rude enough to laugh openly, being a grown up and all, but yes, I'd probably get a chuckle seeing someone "wearing" a gangly, long legged 3 year old.

Lucky for her, she probably doesn't base her parenting decisions on my opinion, nor does she based her self worth on my thinking it's wonky to wear a 3 year old. I'm also fairly sure that there there are things I do that make other people role their eyes. So what? I think we're okay here.
Blackcat31 11:50 AM 07-16-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
No...I DID say "fit of laughter". I do think it would look funny. I probably wouldn't be rude enough to laugh openly, being a grown up and all, but yes, I'd probably get a chuckle seeing someone "wearing" a gangly, long legged 3 year old.

Lucky for her, she probably doesn't base her parenting decisions on my opinion, nor does she based her self worth on my thinking it's wonky to wear a 3 year old. I'm also fairly sure that there there are things I do that make other people role their eyes. So what? I think we're okay here.
Oh, I know you said it but I didn't take it as you meant it as making fun of the parent's choices.....I 'read' it as meaning you would find the image of a 3 yr old being worn to cause you fits of laughter.
Heidi 11:55 AM 07-16-2015
Oh, I know you said it but I didn't take it as you meant it as making fun of the parent's choices.....I 'read' it as meaning you would find the image of a 3 yr old being worn to cause you fits of laughter.
Yes, exactly.

Kind of a proportion thing: Like "big man in a little coat"
Attached: data.jpeg (32.1 KB) 
Blackcat31 12:04 PM 07-16-2015
Yes, exactly.

Controlled Chaos 12:39 PM 07-16-2015
Yes, exactly.

Thank you for that lol

And just to throw in my 2 cents -
I wear my own babies and daycare babies until they can walk or until they are happier on the ground. My son loved snuggles as did one little dcg I watched a few years back - I wore them both for about a year (not constantly but for a bit each day). My dds were more independent, only wore for convenience for me. I wore the new dcb here until he was 7 months, once he learned to sit he became content on the ground. I mainly wear them during outside time so I can walk around without needed a pac n play or fence/play yard to keep them safe. I also love strollers Anyone remember that movie "Away We Go?" So great
Baby Beluga 01:01 PM 07-16-2015
I am not against baby wearing, I wore DD when she was a baby. But I would not wear a DCK.

As far as the three year old goes - to each their own My own 3 year old is about 39 inches tall and 40lbs. I myself am only 5 feet. There is no way I could wear her.
Play Care 02:02 PM 07-16-2015
My state considers baby carriers/wraps, etc "containers" the same as car seats, swings, bouncey seats, etc. and it's encouraged to limit use. And frankly, I agree. Maybe it's because I only take infants over 5/6 months but I think once they are that age the majority of their time should be on the floor doing their "work" (learning to pull up, sit up, roll, crawl and eventually walk)
Sugaree 09:03 AM 07-17-2015
I still wear my 2 year-old, but not nearly as much as when he was younger. If I need both hands for something I'll wear him. I actually wore him from the parking lot to his classroom this morning because I needed to bring in a box of diapers and wipes. I also wear him any time that we're going somewhere that he's either likely to fall asleep or run around inappropriately. I'd rather not deal with a stroller on these occasions. He's 32# right now. Since I made my carrier, I'm not really sure what the upper weight limit is, but I suspect we're getting close.
Blackcat31 09:41 AM 07-17-2015
Originally Posted by Sugaree:
I still wear my 2 year-old, but not nearly as much as when he was younger. If I need both hands for something I'll wear him. I actually wore him from the parking lot to his classroom this morning because I needed to bring in a box of diapers and wipes. I also wear him any time that we're going somewhere that he's either likely to fall asleep or run around inappropriately. I'd rather not deal with a stroller on these occasions. He's 32# right now. Since I made my carrier, I'm not really sure what the upper weight limit is, but I suspect we're getting close.
I mean no disrespect whatsoever but can I ask.....

This morning, wouldn't it have been a great learning experience and a big confidence boost for your little guy if you had given him the package of wipes to carry while you carried the box and you both walked in together?

I just see that as an opportunity for a practice session to learning appropriate behaviors so that when you do go somewhere he might be inclined to run around to know the expectations and behave accordingly.

He'll always want to run inappropriately if he isn't always given the opportunity to practice not doing it....kwim?
Sugaree 12:37 PM 07-17-2015
I mean no disrespect whatsoever but can I ask.....

This morning, wouldn't it have been a great learning experience and a big confidence boost for your little guy if you had given him the package of wipes to carry while you carried the box and you both walked in together?

I just see that as an opportunity for a practice session to learning appropriate behaviors so that when you do go somewhere he might be inclined to run around to know the expectations and behave accordingly.

He'll always want to run inappropriately if he isn't always given the opportunity to practice not doing it....kwim?
You're right. The only thing that concerns me is that I'm not sure he could have carried the 10lb box of wipes (I buy the big boxes so I don't have to shop for them as often).

I do like to let him walk (and he prefers to walk most of the time), but there are situations where it's better for everyone if we at least have the option of a carrier. Kind of like taking a stroller even if you're not planning on using it.
Blackcat31 12:41 PM 07-17-2015
Originally Posted by Sugaree:
You're right. The only thing that concerns me is that I'm not sure he could have carried the 10lb box of wipes (I buy the big boxes so I don't have to shop for them as often).

I do like to let him walk (and he prefers to walk most of the time), but there are situations where it's better for everyone if we at least have the option of a carrier. Kind of like taking a stroller even if you're not planning on using it.
Right on...

...I was also picturing a little package of refill wipes, not a 10lb box.
Tags:baby wearing, carry, wearing babies
Reply Up