Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help with daycare clients and cigarette smoke
khenrikson 01:32 PM 06-14-2009
Hello, I have just started up a small home daycare. I had two kids start 4 weeks ago who smell so badly of cigarette smoke that it is very hard to be around them. The daughter has mentioned to me that her parents smoke in their home and cars all the time and won't stop even though it gives her headaches. She says they get her in trouble when she asks them to stop. Knowing I cannot judge them for what they do in their home, my concern comes from the effect it has in my home. We quit smoking years ago so that when we had children they would not have to be around it. Now when they are here my home reeks of the smell. The diaper bag fills the play room with the smell, and my one year old who plays closely with the boy also tends to start to smell. I have advertised my daycare as a smoke free one and this issue is very concerning to me. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do or whether or not I should ask them to find alternate care?
kitkat 06:27 PM 06-15-2009
I'm sorry, but I don't have an answer for you. This is a very interesting question and I can't wait to hear some of the ideas to solve your problem. It's sad that the little girl has to go through this!
Ms.Sue 02:32 PM 06-16-2009
My first thought about this is, if you are running a business in the economy - the least of your troubles should be your customers 'smell' ........
I don't see it as a serious issue. Spray them with febreeze or have them change into another outfit........

If the parents smoke - it's their business - not ours. It's legal and we don't pay for their heatlh insurance.

And, if you are a former smoker (as am I) do you think we never 'offended' anyone with our cigarette odor??? Sure we did. Just let it go. Be happy you have customers.
Ms.Sue
TTOTS 02:39 PM 06-16-2009
I agree, spray febreeze on them and their belongings. I have done that in the past and just go on about my day. You should not love a child any less.
mac60 03:43 PM 06-16-2009
You have every right to be concerned about the smell of smoke in your home from this family. Your business and your home, and dirty cigarette smoke is just plain yucky.

For the diaper bag....a couple ideas: ask parents to bring items you use on a regular basis and just leave them at your home. You could put them in your own bag...items like changes of clothing, and anything else they might bring daily. You could wash these items and start out fresh and clean and you wouldn't have the dirty diaper bag sitting in your home each day.

Or keep the diaper bag on the porch or other area outside of your home where the smell will not bother anyone.

This is a tough one, and I totally understand how it would interfere with your home. Nothing worse than the smell of stale ciggy smoke. Nasty nasty.

I would add....you may have to ask for a few extra outfits to change the kids over to each morning at arrival, that do not smell of smoke.

I would hate to be in your situation. It is one of those confrontational things I don't like to address and deal with with this job.

Either way, you are going to have to confront the parents, but when you do, give a suggestion or two as to how it can be handled that is acceptable to both parties involved.

Good luck on this.
melissa ann 04:23 PM 06-16-2009
I would not tolerate it. You have a responsiblity to the other children. I have just recently seen where there is now third hand smoke. Which is the smoke that lingers on clothes, hands, etc. It is not healthy to breathe this in all day. Spraying fabreeze is not the answer. Yes, it's the parents right to smoke, but when they bring the smell into your house, it makes it your concern. I'm getting tired of people using the economy as an excuse to accept unacceptable behaviors. Some states even pass laws prohibiting smoking in workplaces, restaurants even in outdoor venues. I live in Pa and at amusement parks there is desginated smoking areas, and there is no smoking in the children's area. If lawmakers don't care about offending smokers by passing these laws, then you shouldn't either when it concerns you,your family and the children in your care. What price are you willing to accept in exchange for potentially doing your harm to the health of everyone in your care?
Ms.Sue 06:01 PM 06-16-2009
You have a responsiblity to the other children. I have just recently seen where there is now third hand smoke.

Oh, come on now......you honestly cannot believe that - the 3rd hand smoke theory...........

The so called 3rd hand smoke issues are not true. Read more on this subject and keep an open mind.
Even if you assume that 1% of this deadly stuff cigarette toxin has been spread on the 10,000 square feet of surface area in a typical 2,000 sq foot house, and also assuming that your method of cleaning is to having your infant lick the kitchen floor clean once a day, the child would have to lick the floor for one hundred trillion days to accumulate a fatal dose. That comes out to about 274 billion years.
So, basically, in reality -- it not "real"

If you are soooooo concerned about a 'child's health' then you probably would have to refuse to feed them.

The additives and toxins in our food supply are so bad -- nobody really wants to address it. It's much easier to blame smokers.

Here are a few for you to think about BEFORE you jump to conclusions.

Acesulfame K
Known commercially as Sunette or Sweet One, sold in packet or tablet form, in chewing gum, dry mixes for beverages, instant coffee and tea, gelatin desserts, puddings and non-dairy creamers. Tests show that the additive causes cancer.

Artificial colorings
The great bulk of artificial colorings used in food are synthetic dyes. For decades synthetic food dyes have been suspected of being toxic and many have been banned. Whenever possible, choose foods without dyes.

Aspartame
This sugar substitute, sold Equal and NutraSweet.There problems with aspartame. The first is phenylketonuria (PKU). One out of 20,000 babies is born without the ability to metabolize phenylalanine, one of the two amino acids in aspartame. Toxic levels of this substance in the blood can result in mental retardation. Beyond PKU several scientists believe that aspartame might cause altered brain function and behavior changes in consumers. And many people (though a minuscule fraction) have reported dizziness, headaches, epileptic-like seizures, and menstrual problems after ingesting aspartame.
And, to be on the safe side, don't give aspartame to infants.

BHA & BHT
These two closely related chemicals are added to oil-containing foods to prevent oxidation and retard rancidity. It is carcinogenic to humans, and the State of California has listed it as a carcinogen. Some studies show the same cancer causing possibilities for BHT.

BHT and BHA are totally unnecessary. To avoid them read the label. Because of the possibility that BHT and BHA might cause cancer, both should be phased out of our food supply. To play it safe, phase them out of your diet.

Caffeine
Caffeine is found naturally in tea, coffee, and cocoa. It is also added to many soft drinks. It is one of the few drugs -- a stimulant -- added to foods. Caffeine promotes stomach-acid secretion (possibly increasing the symptoms of peptic ulcers), temporarily raises blood pressure, and dialates some blood vessels while constricting others. Excessive caffeine intake results in "caffeinism," with symptoms ranging from nervousness to insomnia. These problems also affect children who drink between 2 to 7 cans of soda a day. Caffeine may also interfere with reproduction and affect developing fetuses. Experiments on lab animals link caffeine to birth defects such as cleft palates, missing fingers and toes, and skull malformations.

Monosodium Glutamate (MSG)
Causes headaches, tightness in the chest, and a burning sensation in the forearms an the back of the neck. If you think you are sensitive to MSG, look at ingredient listings. Also, avoid hydrolyzed vegetable protein, or HVP, which may contain MSG.

Nitrite and Nitrate
Sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate are two closely related chemicals used for centuries to preserve meat. When nitrite combines with compounds called secondary amines, it forms nitrosamines, extremely powerful cancer-causing chemicals.[/color] The chemical reaction occurs most readily at the high temperatures of frying. Nitrite has long been suspected as being a cause of stomach cancer. Look for nitrite-free processed meats -- some of which are frozen, refrigeration reduces the need for nitrites -- at some health food and grocery stores. But regardless of the presence of nitrite or nitrosamines, the high-fat, high-sodium content of most processed meats should be enough to discourage you from choosing them. And don't cook with bacon drippings.

Olestra
Olestra, the fake fat recently approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), is both dangerous and unnecessary. Olestra was approved over the objection of dozens of leading scientists.

The additive may be fat-free but it has a fatal side-effect: it attaches to valuable nutrients and flushes them out of the body. Some of these nutrients -- called carotenoids -- appear to protect us from such diseases as lung cancer, prostate cancer, heart disease, and macular degeneration. The Harvard School of Public Health states that "the long-term consumption of olestra snack foods might therefore result in several thousand unnecessary deaths each year from lung and ,prostate cancers and heart disease, and hundreds of additional cases of blindness in the elderly due to macular degeneration.

Which is the smoke that lingers on clothes, hands, etc. It is not healthy to breathe this in all day. Spraying fabreeze is not the answer. Yes, it's the parents right to smoke, but when they bring the smell into your house, it makes it your concern. I'm getting tired of people using the economy as an excuse to accept unacceptable behaviors. Some states even pass laws prohibiting smoking in workplaces, restaurants even in outdoor venues. I live in Pa and at amusement parks there is desginated smoking areas, and there is no smoking in the children's area. If lawmakers don't care about offending smokers by passing these laws, then you shouldn't either when it concerns you,your family and the children in your care. What price are you willing to accept in exchange for potentially doing your harm to the health of everyone in your care?[/quote]

Look, that is just a few. Believe me, I used to work for the U.S.EPA in the carcinogen assessment area ---- cigarettes cannot compare to our food and medication.
Chickenhauler 10:00 PM 06-16-2009
The kids reek you say of cigarrette smoke, and some are saying to mind your own beeswax.

While I can see their point of view, how would this differ if the kids came reeking of BO, soggy dog, or pig crap constantly?

If it really bothers you, take it up with the parents, and if continues to bother you, you are free to decide that you no longer wish to continue to service this client.
mac60 02:34 AM 06-17-2009
I think she may be trying to find a way to nicely bring it up to her clients and still be able to keep the kids as part of her dc family. There are ways to handle this, unfortunately, it will be very uncomfortable for the provider, but doable.
Unregistered 12:35 PM 06-17-2009
I am not and have never been a smoker. I have had children in my classrooms in centers that smelled so strogly of smoke, they were hard to be near. I do not see the point of view of these people who say "spray fabreeze and deal with it". That is rediculous. This is not just some building you work in...it is your home and you have the right to address it as an issue. Uncomfortable situation for sure...but if it is that bad it deserves to be addressed. The change of clothes idea and leaving the bag outside could work but only with the parents knowledge of the issue at hand. It is likely they wont feel comfortable with bringing their kids after something like this is brought up. However, they may understand your concerns and work with you to find a solution.
Good Luck!
melissa ann 03:13 PM 06-17-2009
I can not change what is in foods. I don't consume caffeine. Yes, I believe in 3rd hand smoke. I have a few relatives who smoke. Not around me, but the stench of their habit lingers on their clothes and is quite nauseating. I would not treat the child different than the others, however, I still would not tolerate the smell of cigarette smoke in my house. There are so many health hazards that we can not avoid. For some, we have a choice on what we want to accept for ourselves and family. We will have to agree to disagree on this.
Unregistered 06:50 AM 07-09-2009
I would approach the subject by saying that one of the other children or yourself is allergic to to cigarette smoke, and that when they are in contact with it, they have allergy symptoms all day. They ask if they could bring you several changes of clothing for you to change into as to limit the childs exposure to it. As for Ms. Sue, you are totally rude with your answer. I have never been a smoker, but my parents were while I was growing up. I have a grandfather who picks up sometimes and he reeks of smoke everyday. It is all I can do to get him out of my house as fast as possible so I don't have to endure his nasty habit. Fortunately, the kids don't smell of smoke, but their diaper bag has in the past. When it did, I simply left it outside all day. When the mom got here for pick up, she asked me why it was outside, I had to be honest with her and tell her that due to growing up around smoke, I just can't handle the smell of it and the bag smelled that day. The mom apologized for the smell and washed it that night. I have had her children for 3 years, and have not had a problem since. (this happened 2 years ago). I think she may have been a bit insulted, but it is my home, and I don't want that smell in it. As for Ms. Sue, if you had been a smoker, your smelling senses are probably dulled and you cannot smell it as strongly as a non-smoker. Even if there was no evidence of 2nd hand smoke causing cancer, would you want to risk it? The gov't hides alot, so I wouldn't trust everything you read. If smoke has carcinogens in it, then why would you want it anywhere near you????
mac60 05:55 AM 07-15-2009
So, how did you end up handling the situation. I hope all went well and that the issue is resolved. Unfortunately, in this business, we are put into situations that we really don't want to be in.
Former Teacher 05:06 PM 07-15-2009
many years ago about this one family. For the lack of better words, this family didn't have proper hygiene. This family had a baby who everyday would be carried in his carrier. This boy was carried in his carrier until his 1st birthday. Yes he was oversized and didn't fit in it. However again for the lack of better words, they were living off the state.

Anyway, this carrier's stench was so bad it reeked in our infant room. No matter how many times we sprayed. It only covered up the smell. It never took it away. Since I was Assistant Director, I would hear the caregivers complaints etc. Finally I had enough. I personally took the carrier out and placed it outside on our porch.

His mother came in and was furious because his carrier was outside. She wanted to know why. I have dealt enough of these kinds of people who take advantage of system IE state. I flat out told her because her carrier needed to be washed. I explained to her since it was late in the day she didn't have to do it that night but she was to leave the carrier outside until she does. Perhaps I was rude. However she did washed it that night.

Not to get off of the subject: but this mother was totally ungrateful for anything we did. Once her son (same baby only older) had accidentally leaked his diaper at nap. I went to get some clean clothes out of diaper bag and there 2 outfits nicely folded. First one was totally stained up. Second one had graham cracker crumbs all around the collar. Like I said, these were folded! So I grabbed the only thing I could find and that was a pink shirt with purple shorts. Funny I know but I really couldn't find anything else.

Mom came and she made a big deal about how she was going shopping and she is just so embarrassed and I should be ashamed that I dressed a boy in pink etc. Then she turned around and quite nasty said, THERE ARE CLEAN CLOTHES IN HIS BAG. I said 'oh really?' I grabbed the stained shirt and I said do you call this clean? and I grabbed the cracker crumbed and I said is this clean? I then turned around and said sweetly " I would be more embarrassed him wearing these clothes than him wearing those" She got her son and left
Chickenhauler 08:30 PM 07-24-2009
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
many years ago about this one family. For the lack of better words, this family didn't have proper hygiene. This family had a baby who everyday would be carried in his carrier. This boy was carried in his carrier until his 1st birthday. Yes he was oversized and didn't fit in it. However again for the lack of better words, they were living off the state.

Anyway, this carrier's stench was so bad it reeked in our infant room. No matter how many times we sprayed. It only covered up the smell. It never took it away. Since I was Assistant Director, I would hear the caregivers complaints etc. Finally I had enough. I personally took the carrier out and placed it outside on our porch.

His mother came in and was furious because his carrier was outside. She wanted to know why. I have dealt enough of these kinds of people who take advantage of system IE state. I flat out told her because her carrier needed to be washed. I explained to her since it was late in the day she didn't have to do it that night but she was to leave the carrier outside until she does. Perhaps I was rude. However she did washed it that night.

Not to get off of the subject: but this mother was totally ungrateful for anything we did. Once her son (same baby only older) had accidentally leaked his diaper at nap. I went to get some clean clothes out of diaper bag and there 2 outfits nicely folded. First one was totally stained up. Second one had graham cracker crumbs all around the collar. Like I said, these were folded! So I grabbed the only thing I could find and that was a pink shirt with purple shorts. Funny I know but I really couldn't find anything else.

Mom came and she made a big deal about how she was going shopping and she is just so embarrassed and I should be ashamed that I dressed a boy in pink etc. Then she turned around and quite nasty said, THERE ARE CLEAN CLOTHES IN HIS BAG. I said 'oh really?' I grabbed the stained shirt and I said do you call this clean? and I grabbed the cracker crumbed and I said is this clean? I then turned around and said sweetly " I would be more embarrassed him wearing these clothes than him wearing those" She got her son and left
Good-sometimes you have to call an idiot and idiot, many times they are too much of an idiot to realize they are an idiot.
SimpleMom 11:05 AM 07-29-2009
I had a situation similar to this once. I sprayed Lysol or Febreeze on the bag to lessen the smell. If their blankets were really smelly and seemed like they needed a wash I just washed them in time for nap. Sometimes, I put the bags in the closet to help as well.

As an ex-smoker myself I can understand. I think it's harder to smell that scent after you've quit than if you never started. Different situations and such like this are common. Sometimes it's easier just to work with it and not against it.
ConcernedMotherof2 07:21 AM 07-30-2009
As a parent who smokes, I thought I ought to chime in and maybe provide a little bit of insight. Sometimes it's difficult to say anything to someone with a problem such as this. It can make you feel as though you are telling someone that they are dirty or taking care of their child improperly.

However, I have to agree that these children and their belongings are in YOUR HOME and you have every right to address this issue. No provider ever said anything to me about my children smelling like smoke and I never noticed it because I am the smoker, but my step-mom is the one who brought the problem to my attention. I nearly cried when I realized that my children were walking around in daycare and at school being the "stinky kids" and I took steps to ensure that they don't suffer because of my habit.

Hopefully you will be able to come to an understanding with the parents of these children. I am not suggesting that you tell the parents how to run their home, but I have lessened the smoke smell on my children and myself by only smoking in my living room and kitchen when my children are not in the room, folding my laundry in my bedroom, (which is always closed and I never smoke in any of the bedrooms) and regular cleaning of the entire house aimed at ridding the area of odors. I also make sure that my children shower in the morning, thouroghly wash their hair and I don't smoke until after I drop them off at daycare.

I hope this helps a little.
Unregistered 07:03 PM 07-31-2009
i guess i'm much different than most. at interviews appearance and cleanliness are #1 to me. If i noticed that horrible or a smell , cigarettes or something else, I wouldn't have signed them. parents not only choose ME but I choose THEM. i never allow a parent sign at the interview. i always say i will contact them with in 24hrs and discuss things. I will NOT tolerate nasty smelly children in my home. Its sad that parents do not care for their children properly sometimes. but this is my home and i will ONLY accept clean children. who wants to love all over a stinky kid? i know i can't.
Unregistered 12:07 PM 08-18-2009
Hi I am a license child care provider, and I do not smoke my dad use to smoke and I can understand your concerns. I would just post a memo on board about the safety of kids hygeine and mention about smoke and the concern for children that are in your care that have allerglyies even offer brochures for everyone to read so that your not just pointing the finger at one individual.
Reply Up