Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>This Is Why I Don't Like Teachers
midaycare 10:08 AM 12-12-2017
In June I had a current client refer someone to me for September. We had the interview. The dcm is a teacher and they asked about holidays and summers. They were not happy that they had to pay for those times and I would not hold a spot. But they signed the contract.

Fast forward to today...I get notice that they are giving their 2 weeks notice, dcg will be home with dcm over Christmas, and starting somewhere new after the 1st.

They have zero care for how many daycares dcg has been in. It is so not fair to her. She clings to her blanket and hat and everything she brings with her with hands of steel...no wonder!

On the bright side...I kind of saw this coming. I scheduled them in on my calendar as an "extra" client while I was waiting for another current dcm to give birth. She gave birth 2 weeks ago, and baby will be here in 10 more weeks, taking teacher dcg's place.

So I suppose in 10 weeks I would have done the same to them, but seriously, I could smell this move on them coming from a mile away.
Annalee 10:12 AM 12-12-2017
Originally Posted by midaycare:
In June I had a current client refer someone to me for September. We had the interview. The dcm is a teacher and they asked about holidays and summers. They were not happy that they had to pay for those times and I would not hold a spot. But they signed the contract.

Fast forward to today...I get notice that they are giving their 2 weeks notice, dcg will be home with dcm over Christmas, and starting somewhere new after the 1st.

They have zero care for how many daycares dcg has been in. It is so not fair to her. She clings to her blanket and hat and everything she brings with her with hands of steel...no wonder!

On the bright side...I kind of saw this coming. I scheduled them in on my calendar as an "extra" client while I was waiting for another current dcm to give birth. She gave birth 2 weeks ago, and baby will be here in 10 more weeks, taking teacher dcg's place.

So I suppose in 10 weeks I would have done the same to them, but seriously, I could smell this move on them coming from a mile away.
My aunt knows a grandma of one of my dck and the grandma is always talking how the mom is complaining about paying me for my time off. I am to the point I don't even care anymore...it is my business. This client will probably call you back and then you can say "no thank you".
midaycare 10:21 AM 12-12-2017
Originally Posted by Annalee:
My aunt knows a grandma of one of my dck and the grandma is always talking how the mom is complaining about paying me for my time off. I am to the point I don't even care anymore...it is my business. This client will probably call you back and then you can say "no thank you".
Probably I won't hear from them until September. They were pretty clear that would not need me for the summer, which is why I was going to let them go in March. I would have found alternative care for them, but wowzee they are going to the absolute worst center. They must be running out of options.
CityGarden 10:21 AM 12-12-2017
That completely sucks but now you avoid having to term them when the new baby comes and it is the middle of the semester for dcm. Poor child.
midaycare 10:47 AM 12-12-2017
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
That completely sucks but now you avoid having to term them when the new baby comes and it is the middle of the semester for dcm. Poor child.
It worked out but I have yet to have a good experience with a family that has a teacher in it. I know two providers around here that cater only to teachers and I just think... I couldn't stand them.

I say this as someone who was a teacher
Cat Herder 10:52 AM 12-12-2017
dcg will be home with dcm over Christmas, and starting somewhere new after the 1st.

I say this as someone who was a teacher

I have had four calls this week looking for care starting Monday (schools out 2 weeks, most daycares here align with school calendar). I have not returned a single call.
daycarediva 11:14 AM 12-12-2017
I DO NOT like teacher families, either.

I give them TWO contract options. One is a higher daily rate by $5. This lets them take off ONE week for Christmas, ONE week for spring break "free" or pay the regular rate.

I ALWAYS receive notice for summers from them. They pull for UPK/free.
storybookending 10:21 AM 12-12-2017
My SIL is a teacher and my niece is in my dc. She teaches summer school so I have her half days for 6 of the 11 weeks of summer and I charge her full price but I do not charge at all when she is not here. I told her Friday night that I’m not going to be able to afford that when she has another (she’s not pregnant yet but talking about trying again). She said she understood and said that’s even more motivation to quit teaching and get a year round job. She has a masters degree she isn’t currently using. Time will tell.
amberrose3dg 11:09 AM 12-12-2017

That is pretty lousy. To avoid paying you for your vacation time off they term? I have a few teacher families and they are ok. They do not come over summer and I do not guarantee a spot to return to. I usually have openings as my summers are mostly school age that don't come back or only here in the mornings for an hour or so. They do pay every day for the school year including holidays and vacations.

I have a grandma that picks up and is a teacher. She seems to be annoyed each time I tell her they have to pay no matter what. She asked at the interview and kind of expected it yet asked at thanksgiving and now for Christmas. Be lucky that im taking my vacation week during Christmas and not another time. You have to pay for even more time off.
midaycare 11:17 AM 12-12-2017
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
That is pretty lousy. To avoid paying you for your vacation time off they term?
Yes and I knew, I just knew it would happen. At the interview I saw the pattern of daycares trailing behind them and knew I was next.

I only took dcg because I was holding a spot for an infant for months (about 6 months, from the time dcf told me). They were paying for it, but I found dcg to "hold" the spot instead. I'd rather have someone here than an empty spot, if possible.

It's all good, I mean I knew it would happen Still, how about not hitting me up on the day I have a raging sinus infection...
Tags:teachers, teachers as clients
Reply Up