Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Can You Count Your Yard?
ddnanny13 10:20 AM 10-04-2010
When you figure your time space % can you count your yard as apart of it? We play out there everyday. Plus we put in a fence in the back... I know I can deduct the cost of the fence but does the yard count as square footage? If anyone knows I would appreciate the info! Thanks everyone!
SilverSabre25 12:07 PM 10-04-2010
I am 95% certain that the yard doesn't count as square footage because it's not counted in the square footage of the house. The only thing that counts is what's within the four walls of the house.
kitkat 12:14 PM 10-04-2010
The yard isn't part of the house, so I don't see how you can count it. However, you are right that you can deduct part of your fence. However, I think it has to be deducted over a number of years, not just in one year. I'm sorry I can't think of the right word...this pregnancy is sucking my brain cells dry I'm sure someone else can jump in with the right term! If you haven't purchased it already, I highly suggest you purchase Tom Copeland's Family Child Care Tax Workbook. It is an invaluable resource!
Crystal 12:30 PM 10-04-2010
You cannot use your yard in your time space percentage.

You CAN deduct anything that you use in your yard for the daycare....toys, etc. and you can depreciate other larger items. You may elect to take the 179 expense deduction, claiming your T/S% of the total cost of items, such as a fence that is for daycare, in one year if you don't want to depraciate over a number of years. It gives you a larger deduction for the current year, but in the end you claim less than if you depreciate because you get T/S% deduction rather than 100% of the cost of the item deduction.
Tags:time space percentage
Reply Up