Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Maybe A Little Early...Christmas Gifts For dcks??
SunflowerMama 12:15 PM 11-03-2010
What do you guys usually do for the dcks for Christmas? This will be my first Christmas with the daycare.

I was thinking maybe memory books from Shutterfly for each of them with pictures from the year and then maybe a personalized ornament.

Then for the parents I was going to get handprints on these stone slabs (size of a coaster) with the child's name and Christmas 2010. When my girls were in preschool last year they did these and they are so cute and super cheap to make. Slabs are about $3/$5 a dozen.

What does everyone else typically do for the kids at Christmas??
DCMomOf3 12:20 PM 11-03-2010
As a parent I loved getting the ornaments. I plan to gift my kids a book along with a doll or similar toy that goes with the book.
Lilbutterflie 12:21 PM 11-03-2010
This will be my first Christmas doing daycare for unrelated children (last year I was taking care of my nieces and nephew); so I'm really interested to hear the responses!
TwinMama, I like the handprint idea...where do you buy the stone slabs? And do you just use regular paint for the handprints?
DanceMom 12:32 PM 11-03-2010
For the parents from their kids - going to just order craft frames from Oriental Trading and put their picture in it and have the kids decorate and put together the frame.

For the kids - I usually shop the dollar section or Target. Having 10 kids here can get expensive if I dont stick to dollar items..they usually love whatever

Target always has cute dollar Christmas things ( small books, cute socks , cute pails or boxes to put the things in )
Unregistered 12:46 PM 11-03-2010
I do not give the kids gifts other than a small treat bag with cookies and homemade goodies. I have the children make ornaments and give them as gifts to their parents.

Do your dc parents give you any gifts at Christmas?
Pammie 01:17 PM 11-03-2010
My dc kids always get a nice hardcover book for Christmas, and a toy/gift that goes along with the book. Last year, they all got "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" and a stuffed caterpillar toy. Year prior to that they all got "The Night Before Christmas" and a fleece Christmas print blanket. Not sure what I'm going to give this year yet.

For the parents, the kids always make handprint tiles (about 47cents/each at Home Depot). I seal the tile with gloss sealant, and they make a very nice gift - I still have the ones that my own kids made, and I cherish those.

For each family, I send home "Christmas Breakfast". Last year was a pan of homemade cinnamon rolls that I froze and gave with instrux on thawing/baking. This year, I'm going to do "pancake mix in a jar".

I have amazing families that I know appreciate all that I give them/their kids. They all are extremely over generous with holiday gifts in return. I'm truly blessed - - and know it
SilverSabre25 01:24 PM 11-03-2010
Some interesting ideas on here!! My plan so far was just to do the hand-print impressions (small, maybe ornament sized, not sure yet) for the parents, but I haven't thought much beyond that yet. My group is all very young (mostly under 2) so I have that to take into consideration.
busymomof2 01:27 PM 11-03-2010
Wow Pammie...I want to be one of your parents. LOL How about an Olivia book with a stuffed pig. Just an idea.
Blackcat31 01:33 PM 11-03-2010
I do NOT give gifts to the children or the families...we give them to others. Every year we pick a new cause and donate to it on behalf of the daycare and the families enrolled. Last year we collected smoke detectors/carbon monoxide detectors and donated to Fire Dept for families that couldn't afford them. The year before we collected supplies for the local animal shelter. We have done food donations for food shelf, care packages for soldiers over seas, phone cards for soldiers and hats/mittens for the crisis nursey and needy families. I ask all my families to contribute, but do not tell them they have to...usually they donate the item asked for or a few $$'s and we buy what we can as a group. I also tell my families that I do not want gifts, but if they feel the need to give, please participate with our cause.
The joy of Christmas and giving is rare and I want my dc kids to learn that giving is a gift as well. In 16 years, I have never had a parent that has not participated or not agreed with what we were doing. Last year, we donated 24 smoke detectors and 13 carbon monoxide detectors. Our best year was the year we bought pre-paid phone cards for soldiers over seas. We were able to purchase/send $430 worth of cards so soldiers could call home for the holidays.
We have a holiday party and the kids get lots of treats and goodies but no gifts or toys are exchanged.
AfterSchoolMom 03:01 PM 11-03-2010
I'm getting mine a little something, but I thought about having them participate in "Operation Christmas Child", and having each family donate an item to put in a box to send to a needy child. My own family does at least 3-4 boxes every year.

Last year I got each child a small toy, and got each parent an ornament for their trees. This year I have a bit more personalized gifts in mind because I have half as many children, and I'm going to have them make ornaments to give as gifts to the parents.
SandeeAR 03:29 PM 11-03-2010
Not sure yet what I'm doing for the kids. But the parents, I'm making a handprint wreath.

Take finger paint paper or poster board cut to about an 11 x 14 size. Use a plate to draw a circle in the middle lightly. Paint the kids hand with green acrylic paint. "stamp" around the circle. You will need to repaint a few times.

Cut a paper bow for the top, and three sets of red berries to glue on when dry.

I have both my daugthers framed and in the hallway of my home.
MarinaVanessa 06:31 PM 11-03-2010
Originally Posted by twinmama:
What do you guys usually do for the dcks for Christmas? This will be my first Christmas with the daycare.
Not early enough for me ... I already have christmas gifts for my DC littles lol. I buy small gifts that right around $5-$10. I went on Amazon and was surprised to see Webkinz for dirt cheap. We're big on Amazon and my fiance has a membership, credit card etc. so he gets free 2-day shipping so I went all out and we got all of the DC kiddos for under $8. I got one for $3!! All of the kids in the family got one too lol.
Lilbutterflie 06:06 AM 11-04-2010
Originally Posted by Pammie:

For the parents, the kids always make handprint tiles (about 47cents/each at Home Depot). I seal the tile with gloss sealant, and they make a very nice gift - I still have the ones that my own kids made, and I cherish those.
I think I'm set on doing this, but what type of paint do you use? Will regular non-toxic washable paint work? And where do you purchase the gloss sealant? I have purchased spray gloss sealant from craft stores before and it just doesn't seem to make it nice and glossy.
SunflowerMama 06:20 AM 11-04-2010
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
This will be my first Christmas doing daycare for unrelated children (last year I was taking care of my nieces and nephew); so I'm really interested to hear the responses!
TwinMama, I like the handprint idea...where do you buy the stone slabs? And do you just use regular paint for the handprints?
I just got the slabs at Lowes and Tempera paint. They come out so cute!
SunflowerMama 06:28 AM 11-04-2010
Originally Posted by Pammie:
My dc kids always get a nice hardcover book for Christmas, and a toy/gift that goes along with the book. Last year, they all got "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" and a stuffed caterpillar toy. Year prior to that they all got "The Night Before Christmas" and a fleece Christmas print blanket. Not sure what I'm going to give this year yet.

For each family, I send home "Christmas Breakfast". Last year was a pan of homemade cinnamon rolls that I froze and gave with instrux on thawing/baking. This year, I'm going to do "pancake mix in a jar".

I have amazing families that I know appreciate all that I give them/their kids. They all are extremely over generous with holiday gifts in return. I'm truly blessed - - and know it
Love your ideas!! Especially Christmas Breakfast! I think I'll do this for the families with pancake mix in mason jars with ribbon and christmas stickers.
Tags:christmas, gift ideas
Reply Up