Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kid Causing Neck Pain
MomBoss 01:42 PM 10-20-2017
I had a new child start last week, 16 months, and hes a BIG kid. Ever since he started Ive had to go to the chiro twice for severve neck pain. Has anyone had a child that caused them pain to where they needed to see a chiropractor frequently? I try not to pick him up unless i have to. I wish i could tell his dad at drop off “can you please have your child walk through the gate insted of passing him off to me to hold? Hes killing me.” Lol
Blackcat31 02:07 PM 10-20-2017
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
I had a new child start last week, 16 months, and hes a BIG kid. Ever since he started Ive had to go to the chiro twice for severve neck pain. Has anyone had a child that caused them pain to where they needed to see a chiropractor frequently? I try not to pick him up unless i have to. I wish i could tell his dad at drop off “can you please have your child walk through the gate insted of passing him off to me to hold? Hes killing me.” Lol
Doesn't the child walk?

Why can't you tell the dad to have him walk instead of handing him over?

I tell all my parents that one of my goals is school readiness and that since that starts early, walkers walk. I don't carry or hold kids that are capable of walking.

They can sit in my lap etc during different activities through out the day but holding a child capable of walking isn't happening.

I'd have to become a chiropractor because after 2.5 decades in the business it visits would be too expensive or costly to afford! lol!
MomBoss 02:14 PM 10-20-2017
For some reason i get the impression that parents dont like you rejecting holding their child if they try to pass them off to you lol. Why do parents feel like you need to hold their child?
They carry their child in my house so i guess they expect me to do the same. Idk lol
But yes its a lil annoying having to pay $3 (copay) everytime i hold this kid..-_-
Blackcat31 02:21 PM 10-20-2017
For some reason i get the impression that parents dont like you rejecting holding their child if they try to pass them off to you lol. Why do parents feel like you need to hold their child?
They carry their child in my house so i guess they expect me to do the same. Idk lol
But yes its a lil annoying having to pay $3 (copay) everytime i hold this kid..-_-
...because they don't want them to cry!

No, seriously I just say it very light heartedly....

"Hey Joe, I know Billy will only be this young once but for me I will have many 14 month olds in my care over the course of my career and if I held every one of them I'd have some serious back issues so I understand mom and dad want/needing to hold Billy all the time I can't. It would be better for me and for Billy if you encouraged him to walk in on his own rather than just handing over to me. Thank you! I knew you'd understand!"

If he balks or doesn't get it....start requesting a day or two off every month and say it's so you can visit the chiropractor.
e.j. 03:01 PM 10-20-2017
Years ago, I was a passenger in a car that was T-boned. I ended up with a bad case of whiplash. Ever since that accident, I've experienced muscle spasms in my neck/shoulder area any time I enroll an infant. I think it's the way I sit and tilt my head as I feed and hold them. I usually end up in a lot of pain and can't hold my head up without a neck brace. A muscle relaxer and pain killer at night helps. After a couple of days, I'm good to go. In my experience, the parents understand, especially if you tell them you have to be careful so you don't make the injury worse and end up having to close the day care for a day or two.
Tags:back pain
Reply Up