Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daily Notes Content
Josiegirl 02:35 AM 10-12-2017
I find mine boring and have asked dcps what else they'd like to know about their child's day but parents aren't real big on giving their input. I have places to check things such as meals and what/how they ate, how naps went, their moods, certain things we did and if they need to bring anything or special notes about the day. But I feel like I'm constantly on repeat and parents probably don't give them much of a glance. So any suggestions of what I can add? I don't have lots of time during the day to add written comments, unless I do it at that exact moment, such as a specially difficult time, something funny s/he said, etc. How do you make them more enjoyable? Also, when I check what we did, it's listed like block play/arts and crafts/dollhouse and farm play/puppet play/, etc. Maybe change some of those choices? For instance, we've been doing lots of cutting paper and gluing lately but I simply check arts and crafts for that type of thing.
Plus another question, I have infant notes and then notes for the other dcks. At what age would you kick them up to the other kids notes? I have a just barely 1 yo who no longer uses bottles, but doesn't participate much in the other stuff, as a normal 1 yo would be. Is there a go-between note?

Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks!!
DaveA 04:05 AM 10-12-2017
I'm not much help- I hated notes home. I prefer to have a quick "how the day went" discussion at pick up. I only do notes home for under 1 y/o.

If I think parents aren't paying attention to the notes I start having some fun with them. I'll send home comments like:

DCK established contact with the local K9 population and is attempting to communicate in their native language.

DCK organized the Little People into battalions and laid siege to the land of Leggo.

Over a round of Similac DCK and the other infant had a spirited debate over the efficacy of bicameral legislative bodies.

I once did this for over a week before DCPs noticed.
HappyEverAfter 06:00 AM 10-12-2017
I don't do written notes home to parents. Just a quick verbal report at the door at pick up. I do make written notes for myself of any injuries or things like that. I only have 3 kids though so that makes verbal reports easy.
storybookending 06:09 AM 10-12-2017
So you do notes for every kid in your care? I would eliminate them entirely for children over the age of 1. For infants I let the parents decide when they don’t want them anymore. Some quit after a few weeks. My 10 months old mom just said this week she doesn’t need them anymore.
Snowmom 06:09 AM 10-12-2017
I wish I could be more help.

I used to do "How was my day" notes until I constantly found them littering my driveway and street. :/

Now I just write on my communication board and write on the parent website. I know they check that (they have to log on to view it).

Besides the vitals (eat, poop, mood, activity), I don't know what else they'd really want.
Blackcat31 06:43 AM 10-12-2017
I too, hate notes home. No one reads them.

I don't do the chit chat up-dates at the end of the day except for the littler ones I have that don't speak.
But I only have 2 of that age.

Lately, when parents pick up and ask me "How was Sally's day?" I usually just say "Ask Sally."
Ariana 09:32 AM 10-12-2017
I stopped doing them because no one even took them out of their bags ag the end of the day. I was sick of doing the work. I then switched to a private FB page with relevant info like pictures of our day and menu. No one bothered to pay attention to that either and every day I would hear “what did they have for lunch”

Now I say nothing and do nothing unless asked!
Leigh 11:20 AM 10-12-2017
I think that you're not getting input because, as others have mentioned, parents don't want that information. They already trust that their kids are getting what they need and that they're safe and happy.

People who write our regs LOVE these kinds of things. They're the only ones who do. Providers don't like filling them out, parents don't read them. If you're set on doing a daily sheet, I'd suggest letting parents opt-in to them. Send home a note that you're no longer providing them (not that parents will read this note, either!) unless they opt in by returning the signed request. I rarely have a parent that wants to discuss their child's day. When they do, they ask questions.

I don't think it's that parents don't respect you or what you do, but that they trust that things are fine and that you're doing what you said you would at the interview.

What I do for parents is when their child does something that I would want to hear about, I'll tell them about it or even make a scrapbook type page to send with them (like when they do something amazing or when they say something so cute or funny that I would want to add that to my child's scrapbook).
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 01:56 PM 10-12-2017
I started using the Brightwheel app (after reading so much about it on here). It was fun at first, now I just detest it (but I detest most monotonous things). However, its great for the infants and I have a dcb 2.5 that we were trying to figure out some food sensitivities for awhile and it was great for that. It serves its purpose well enough, parents can look or not look.
The things I do enjoy:
-Being able to go back myself and look at histories which as been helpful when working on sleep with the infants.
-Being able to share pictures, which satisfies most of the parents that want a little "extra something" with their daily report.
-My families like it.
Josiegirl 03:14 PM 10-12-2017
One of the arenas I need to maintain for Stars is communication and they highly encourage daily notes as one form of a communication strategy. I believe it's overkill but nobody asked me. Anything to waste a providers' time....cause we have sooo much.
I used to do notebooks back and forth with parents, but that was much more of a time-suck and I found the parents mostly didn't write anything.
Leigh 06:04 PM 10-12-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
One of the arenas I need to maintain for Stars is communication and they highly encourage daily notes as one form of a communication strategy. I believe it's overkill but nobody asked me. Anything to waste a providers' time....cause we have sooo much.
I used to do notebooks back and forth with parents, but that was much more of a time-suck and I found the parents mostly didn't write anything.
I understand (as we all probably do!). Would Stars be satisfied it you offered the notes on an opt-in basis? That's still offering a service to the parents, you're still WILLING to do it-maybe the offer is good enough? I swear, I feel so much for those of you who have to deal with Stars and other programs like it. When it hits my state, my license is going in the trash can. The state controls my life and my business enough now as it is.
CityGarden 07:40 PM 10-12-2017
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
I started using the Brightwheel app (after reading so much about it on here). It was fun at first, now I just detest it (but I detest most monotonous things). However, its great for the infants and I have a dcb 2.5 that we were trying to figure out some food sensitivities for awhile and it was great for that. It serves its purpose well enough, parents can look or not look.
The things I do enjoy:
-Being able to go back myself and look at histories which as been helpful when working on sleep with the infants.
-Being able to share pictures, which satisfies most of the parents that want a little "extra something" with their daily report.
-My families like it.
I agree initially I loved Brightwheel but I found updating multiple children on my iPhone not as quick as updates on my laptop and they don't really have a easy way to do updates on my laptop. I like Brightwheel for billing but that is it and honestly I am fazing out of Brightwheel for billing because Chase Quick Pay works as do checks.
CityGarden 08:14 PM 10-12-2017
As mentioned above I started off with Brightwheel and my initial two out of three families loved.... but I did not like the time it took.

I have settled on two different forms of communication that I like!

Daily Written Notes
I give a daily written note.... it's 1/2 a sheet of paper per child - most is pre-filled out in advancr. I have been using the template from Play to Learn Preschool but decided to customize my own.

This link will take you to the version from Play to Learn Preschool and below is a picture of theirs.

Daily notes help bridge the gap between what my students can verbalize and what we actually do and to me it helps parents see the value in what I do with their child. I even had a dad send a hand written thank you for them as it helped him feel connected and engaged in discussion during dinner...... this was a dad I have never met since dcm did all drop off and pick up. There is one family who never read them but always want to know how to dcb's day, did he nap, how was he with using the potty.... I tell them it's all included on the daily note.

I have a M/W/F group and a T/TH group of children some days I wish I did weekly newsletters / notes instead of daily ---- just because with children 2+ and a solid rhythm / routine it feels very repetitive at times.

Shutterfly Classroom Site
This is a very easy user friendly option that is not nearly as much work as a blog or website. I use it for calendar reminders, volunteer sign ups, photo sharing, etc. This is great for the "group" and build community among the families. I love how easy the Shutterfly Class Site is and have noting bad to say about it but it's not for daily individual notes. I do try to post photos of the children each night though. I think a picture is worth a thousand words and the Shutterfly Site App makes uploading photos from my phone and laptop easy. It also makes end of the year books a breeze.
Attached: playtolearn.jpg (197.3 KB) 
Meeko 06:54 AM 10-13-2017
Notes home just become floor liner for their cars.

After sending home a few trees worth of paper that didn't get a glance...I stopped. Luckily, our licensing regs don't require it.

If a parent wants to know, they can ask. Simple.
Blackcat31 07:04 AM 10-13-2017
Our stars program has offered a subscription text service for parents. The weekly texts provide parenting tips and advice etc for common issues parents face now days.

Getting parents to sign up for this FREE subscription service satisfies our requirement of parent/program/provider communication.

https://www.thinksmall.org/about_think_small/texts/
flying_babyb 05:31 PM 10-13-2017
Originally Posted by DaveA:
I'm not much help- I hated notes home. I prefer to have a quick "how the day went" discussion at pick up. I only do notes home for under 1 y/o.

If I think parents aren't paying attention to the notes I start having some fun with them. I'll send home comments like:

DCK established contact with the local K9 population and is attempting to communicate in their native language.

DCK organized the Little People into battalions and laid siege to the land of Leggo.

Over a round of Similac DCK and the other infant had a spirited debate over the efficacy of bicameral legislative bodies.

I once did this for over a week before DCPs noticed.
IM SO doing this!! mabey this way our parents will actully bring supplies
Josiegirl 03:08 AM 10-14-2017
Thank you everybody for the suggestions and links, and support!

I don't know how many dcps actually read the notes in private But I know 2 parents always glance at theirs to see if there are written notes along with the checked boxes. Maybe I should add DaveA's ideas lol. I just don't always have time to write a bunch of things and when I do have time, my mind goes blank.
Justjoy 06:08 PM 10-15-2017
Josiegirl....I hear you, hon! I write detailed daily sheets for every child. It gets to be extremely time consuming, and like you said, it's hard to come up with something new and exciting every single day. I actually stopped my daily sheets about 6 months ago, and had complaints from the parents. I started back up with them, but left a few things off the sheet.....again the parents...not enough info....so I guess I'm one of the daycare providers whose parent's read the sheets word for word. It does make me feel good, but it does take a lot of time.
Lissa Kristine 06:16 PM 10-22-2017
I think daily sheets are pointless after a certain age. Little Johnny isn't going to have a daily sheet coming home with him when he gets off the Elementary school bus. I think they should be standard for kids under a certain age to record vitals such as diapers, naps, and feedings. It may still be beneficial to jot down notes for your own records so you can give details if a parent asks how long her child slept.

That being said, I've been in situations where, say, diapers weren't being changed on a regular basis, and I suspect that having daily sheets to keep track of things like that would help (though, I also suspect those who aren't changing diapers would probably just lie on the daily sheets, so I doubt that would make a difference.

Older kids (say, those who are potty trained on up) would probably be fine with a weekly overview and a copy of the menu, etc. Anything more than that would be for special circumstances.

(I also hate those apps that give you options like "Some, most, all" for snacks. That doesn't mean anything. A child could eat a full cup of mac and cheese that was served or half a cup. If it was all that was served, then you'd put "all.")
Tags:daily reports
Reply Up