Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>TB Shot
Little Star75 08:13 AM 04-03-2013
Can a child return to daycare after they've had the TB shot?
Crystal 08:34 AM 04-03-2013
Yes.
Angelsj 08:36 AM 04-03-2013
There is no such thing as a TB shot. When a person has a Mantoux (TB test), they are testing to see if that person has ever been exposed to TB. Even if it were to come back positive, it only means the person has had exposure, not that they have TB.

Whether you want them in your daycare is up to you, but other than an allergic reaction to the testing material (highly unlikely), there is no danger to you or others.
Little Star75 08:40 AM 04-03-2013
Thank you,,I wasn't sure.
Meeko 09:30 AM 04-03-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
There is no such thing as a TB shot. When a person has a Mantoux (TB test), they are testing to see if that person has ever been exposed to TB. Even if it were to come back positive, it only means the person has had exposure, not that they have TB.

Whether you want them in your daycare is up to you, but other than an allergic reaction to the testing material (highly unlikely), there is no danger to you or others.
There IS a TB vaccination (BCG), but it's not usually given in this country. (BE GRATEFUL!!!)

They give it in high school in the UK. I had it. Awful thing. It is given excruiatingly slowly and then you have to keep the site dry for 6 weeks. It blisters up, is very sore and eventually leaves a scar on the arm. I'm not nervous around needles, but it was a horrible experience.

I didn't think about it when I got licensed to be a daycare provider here in the US and they did a TB skin test. It put enviromental health on our Air Force base into a tailspin when I tested positive!!!

Then the doc says....."Wait! You grew up in England! You probably had the vaccine!" He pulled up my sleeve and said "Yep! There's the scar!"

I was very lucky as it's now in my medical records that I can never have the skin test again or I may lose my arm!!! Not sure why, but I'm not going to take any chances!

Chances are, your DCK just had the skin test. If he DID have the vaccine, he won't be a happy camper and will have a sore arm, but you wouldn't need to exclude him.!
Country Kids 09:59 AM 04-03-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
There IS a TB vaccination (BCG), but it's not usually given in this country. (BE GRATEFUL!!!)

They give it in high school in the UK. I had it. Awful thing. It is given excruiatingly slowly and then you have to keep the site dry for 6 weeks. It blisters up, is very sore and eventually leaves a scar on the arm. I'm not nervous around needles, but it was a horrible experience.

I didn't think about it when I got licensed to be a daycare provider here in the US and they did a TB skin test. It put enviromental health on our Air Force base into a tailspin when I tested positive!!!

Then the doc says....."Wait! You grew up in England! You probably had the vaccine!" He pulled up my sleeve and said "Yep! There's the scar!"

I was very lucky as it's now in my medical records that I can never have the skin test again or I may lose my arm!!! Not sure why, but I'm not going to take any chances!

Chances are, your DCK just had the skin test. If he DID have the vaccine, he won't be a happy camper and will have a sore arm, but you wouldn't need to exclude him.!
I think we do/did have that here in the US. We had it in our left arm (upper) and it would scar. Mine didn't scar fortunatly but I know others did.
Meeko 10:06 AM 04-03-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I think we do/did have that here in the US. We had it in our left arm (upper) and it would scar. Mine didn't scar fortunatly but I know others did.
I just looked it up and they don't give it routinely in the UK now, but it is given if doctors feel there is a need. I guess it's maybe the same here? It was a mandatory shot when I was in high school in England, but it was around 1975 when I had mine done!
Meeko 10:10 AM 04-03-2013
This link is to the CDC web site. Looks like they don't give it routinely here anymore.

http://www.cdc.gov/tb/publications/f...ention/bcg.htm

I am going to ask my doc about the note on my records saying I cannot be TB tested because I had the vaccine. I don't see anything that says it is dangerous at all??? Anyone know????
Country Kids 10:13 AM 04-03-2013
I just looked it up and they don't give it routinely in the UK now, but it is given if doctors feel there is a need. I guess it's maybe the same here? It was a mandatory shot when I was in high school in England, but it was around 1975 when I had mine done!

I looked it up to (I like to learn)-

They will give it to a child here (now) if they are living with someone who has tb from what I understand. So maybe he did have one?

Now, I would have had mine as a baby? (late, very late, extremely late 60's-) because I really don't remember getting shots till entering 7th grade (my first memory of shots even though my parents vacinated me). Unless the one I got in 7th grade was it but I remember people with the "scars" before that.
Meeko 10:17 AM 04-03-2013

They will give it to a child here (now) if they are living with someone who has tb from what I understand.

Now, I would have had mine as a baby? (late, very late, extremely late 60's-) because I really don't remember getting shots till entering 7th grade (my first memory of shots even though my parents vacinated me).
In the UK it was given around age 14-15 in high school (high school starts at age 11/12 in the UK) That's why I remember it so well! We all dreaded it!
Little Star75 10:41 AM 04-03-2013
Here in California it's required when they are going to start kindergarten or move to another county/school.
Reason I asked if it was ok, was because of the shots itself. My rule is if any child gets vaccinated they can't return to daycare until 24 hours but it sounds like the TB test is totally different.
Little Star75 10:42 AM 04-03-2013

They will give it to a child here (now) if they are living with someone who has tb from what I understand. So maybe he did have one?

Now, I would have had mine as a baby? (late, very late, extremely late 60's-) because I really don't remember getting shots till entering 7th grade (my first memory of shots even though my parents vacinated me). Unless the one I got in 7th grade was it but I remember people with the "scars" before that.
I was required by licensing when I applied for the license. I had mine done last year.
Meeko 11:35 AM 04-03-2013
Originally Posted by Little Star75:
I was required by licensing when I applied for the license. I had mine done last year.
The vaccine or the skin test?
rmc20021 11:45 AM 04-03-2013
That was the small pox vaccine they did years ago...I can still remember the entire ordeal of mine from the moment I got it, to watching it blister, scab and fall off...even how it felt as it was drying up. Funny how some memories just stay with you.
seebachers 11:48 AM 04-03-2013
Yes....it was for the small pox. I have the same scar on my upper left arm, but my sister who is 8 years younger than I did not have to get it. I was born in Sep of '70. She was born January of 79.
rmc20021 11:54 AM 04-03-2013
I'm not sure when they discontinued giving the small pox vaccines. My son was born in January 71 and I don't think he got one...I know for sure none of my other kids have had it though and daughter was born in 72.

As for tb shot...never heard of it. I used to be certified to read tb tests and that is just a small amount of the serum placed under the skin to check if you've been exposed. Even if it comes back positive doesn't mean you were actually exposed...it can be a false positive. Then you have to go for chest Xrays.

In MI, all providers and assistants, as well as any other members in the household of a home daycare have to have a tb test done prior to licensing. This is NOT a shot, but just the test.
Meeko 12:06 PM 04-03-2013
Originally Posted by rmc20021:
I'm not sure when they discontinued giving the small pox vaccines. My son was born in January 71 and I don't think he got one...I know for sure none of my other kids have had it though and daughter was born in 72.

As for tb shot...never heard of it. I used to be certified to read tb tests and that is just a small amount of the serum placed under the skin to check if you've been exposed. Even if it comes back positive doesn't mean you were actually exposed...it can be a false positive. Then you have to go for chest Xrays.

In MI, all providers and assistants, as well as any other members in the household of a home daycare have to have a tb test done prior to licensing. This is NOT a shot, but just the test.
A skin test is required here to get licensed too. I had a chest x-ray done instead as I can no longer have the skin test.
itlw8 05:26 PM 04-03-2013
That was for small pox and they stopped doing that in the mid to late 60's mine never took had it 2 x little sis was born in 60 so never had it.finished reading posts why would some states be later?
Little Star75 10:04 PM 04-03-2013
The vaccine or the skin test?
Skin test
Angelsj 05:06 AM 04-04-2013

My apologies, I worded that wrong. In the US or Canada, where most of the members of the forum are from, that shot is not used (ok rarely, though in reality I have never seen it even offered). But you are correct, there is a shot. (For the record, I would NEVER let my kids get that)
Poor thing! Ouch!
Blackcat31 07:50 AM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by rmc20021:
I DID get the small pox vaccination....born in 1968.

DH did NOT get it.....born in 1969.

Don't know if it varies by region of the US but both DH and I were born in same town.
QualiTcare 08:11 AM 04-04-2013
Yes, there is no reason at all they wouldn't be able to come to daycare after having a TB test.
Tags:shots
Reply Up