Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Advice On Summer Care Situation
Ac114 04:49 AM 05-01-2018
I interviewed a family about a month ago with 2 boys for part time summer care. They are 4 and 8 and will be here 3 days a week. The 4 year old would continue care while the 8 year old went off to school. Now one of my current families asked if I could do summer care for her 3 older boys, full time and for summer only. I’m leaning towards the full time summer only just because it’s more money and i know this family pays on time every week. Anyways- now I feel bad about telling the other family I can no longer offer care to them. We haven’t signed paperwork yet but they do have a start date of June 1st. How should I word an email with the change? And what family would you choose?
Snowmom 06:29 AM 05-01-2018
Has the first family given you any money to secure the spot?
If not, it's not secured without payment and contract.
SO, that's an easy explanation.

Full time always trumps part time in my opinion. Of course, you'll have to consider that you will then have to fill 3 spots in September vs only one spot since the first family has a child staying year-long.
What's more important to you?
Ac114 07:03 AM 05-01-2018
No they haven’t paid a deposit or signed paperwork. We were going to have all of that signed on the first day. I don’t require a deposit but I guess it’s tkme to implement one.

As far as fall, I’ve already had inquiries for August positions so I’m not super worried about filling the spots. I just feel bad telling them I have filled spots with full time care now.
Blackcat31 07:36 AM 05-01-2018
Would you be willing to offer the first family the option of using and/or paying full time to secure the spot?

I know no one has paid anything to secure the space but if the first family was willing to pay for full time, I guess I'd offer them first right of refusal first.

The only thing that would sway me is timely payment.
You mentioned you know the second family pays on time and that's a big thing in this job so if that is the deciding factor, I'd just tell the first family that full time trumps part time and that you are going with the second family.

No requirement for further explanation as that is the beauty of self employment...we get to do what works for us...no matter what.
racemom 12:31 PM 05-02-2018
I would tell the first family that due to unforseen circumstances you need t withdraw your offer of enrollment.
Tags:summer care
Reply Up