Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Preschool vs. In Home Child Care
JeepGirl6 01:02 PM 02-24-2011
I have been doing my In-Home Child Care for a little over 2 years now. I have my Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education. I teach the children new things every day.

One thing I don't get is why are parents paying for preschool when they bring their children to my home? During interviews I make sure to inform them that I am like a preschool and teach the children everything they need to know before Kindergarten. They are doubling their amount for child care...

I have two parents that send their children to preschool and bring them here the opposite days. I worked in day care centers for three years, I know what to teach the children, I basically do what preschool child care centers do. I just don't understand why the parents just don't bring their child here full time instead of splitting up the children learning methods...
nannyde 01:06 PM 02-24-2011
Are you getting full time pay for their slots?
JeepGirl6 01:12 PM 02-24-2011
No, they pay by the day. Some days they are here between 1-3 days, they only pay for the days they are here.
Cat Herder 01:13 PM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by JeepGirl6:
During interviews I make sure to inform them that I am like a preschool
Someone else convinced them THEY were the best Sneetches on the beaches....
Blackcat31 01:15 PM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Someone else convinced them THEY were the best Sneetches on the beaches....
Do they have stars upon thars?

I LOVE that book!!
nannyde 01:16 PM 02-24-2011
No, they pay by the day. Some days they are here between 1-3 days, they only pay for the days they are here.
Okay that's the problem.

I wouldn't offer care to someone 1-3 days a week. 3 days would be my minimum and the daily rate would be 25 percent higher than the daily rate a full time kid would pay.

CHARGE for it.
daycare 01:20 PM 02-24-2011
I also teach at my house.. my ages are from 2-5 years old only.
here everyone pays the same... its 225 a week.... if you come one day, still the same price...use it one or 5 your choice.

however, the clients times are contracted to the hours that they use.. ex can only use 9 hrs a day and must commit to a time frame that will be the same each day you use it...

ex: if you come monday 8:30-5:00, then its this way always for the rest of the week and it becomes your set time in your contract...
countrymom 01:25 PM 02-24-2011
In ontario we call preschool----junior kindergarten. In lamens terms---free daycare.
nikia 01:25 PM 02-24-2011
Okay holy crap 225 a week, that is more than double what I charge. Oh I how I wish I didnt live in the middle of a corn field and could charge more
daycare 01:30 PM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by nikia:
Okay holy crap 225 a week, that is more than double what I charge. Oh I how I wish I didnt live in the middle of a corn field and could charge more
be happy you live in a corn field.... I live in a smog infested city wishing I had corn around me...lol instead live in the mushroom capital and it smells like dog poo here....lmao not always, but when the wind blows...

225 is actually not that bad either.... I live near SF, once you get into the SF zip code the price goes up even more...

In the end it all weighs out to be the same..
groceries here are high gas is almost $4.00 a gallon....
nannyde 01:33 PM 02-24-2011
You know you love yourself some Iowa
nikia 01:35 PM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
be happy you live in a corn field.... I live in a smog infested city wishing I had corn around me...lol instead live in the mushroom capital and it smells like dog poo here....lmao not always, but when the wind blows...

225 is actually not that bad either.... I live near SF, once you get into the SF zip code the price goes up even more...

In the end it all weighs out to be the same..
groceries here are high gas is almost $4.00 a gallon....
Dog Poo, I have piggy poo here

Yeah I didnt think about that price of living increase. Just saw 225 and was WHOA I Wish
nikia 01:36 PM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
you gotta
Blackcat31 01:38 PM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Someone recently told me that Iowa stands for Idiots Out Walking Around!

I'm kidding Nan! You know I love you!!
daycare 01:39 PM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

lamo so mean............ i need some iowa in my life....lol
nikia 01:40 PM 02-24-2011

LMAO before I moved to Iowa I said the same thing Now im one of the idiots
daycare 01:41 PM 02-24-2011
LMAO before I moved to Iowa I said the same thing Now im one of the idiots
you guys crack me up!! good to have some laughs before Friday..
nikia 01:42 PM 02-24-2011
lamo so mean............ i need some iowa in my life....lol
Daycare Forum meeting in Iowa, Field of Dreams
Cat Herder 01:44 PM 02-24-2011
Can you hear the banjos???..... I swear I hear them all the time...

"You gotta purdy mouth"..... sums up my region.....

I do have to say our gas hit $3.15 gal yesterday and I am still a bit too sore to sit down after flling up my F-150....
nannyde 01:46 PM 02-24-2011
Daycare Forum meeting in Iowa, Field of Dreams
If you build it they will come.
nikia 01:49 PM 02-24-2011
Sorry Jeepgirl, hijacked the thread. I dont know why parents do that, perhaps they want them to be around new kids and get the feel of how school is different than being in a daycare home? KWIM? Not that its right or not that you are not doing just as good if not better than the preschool, just a thought on why maybe they choose to take them to a preschool. I dont know how your preschools are there, but here they can go to the public school and get it for free half day, everyday.
JeepGirl6 01:59 PM 02-24-2011
It's okay, you all made me laugh!!! Thats the thing, both parents are sending their children to a "daycare center" in my area...so it is no different from what I teach...But maybe thats it, they just want their children to meet other children...I do my best and it makes me feel unappreciated of what I went to school for and what I teach their children...

IMO...I worked in daycare centers for 3 years and the things that I have seen drove me absolutely crazy..When I do decide to have children I honestly don't think I want my child in a daycare center...If I am still doing my In Home Child Care I will care for them and teach them. If I have changed career paths by then I would prefer them be in a home setting...
Blackcat31 01:59 PM 02-24-2011

I do have to say our gas hit $3.15 gal yesterday and I am still a bit too sore to sit down after flling up my F-150....
OMG!! that is too funny!!!.....one summer my DH and our 2 kids took a little trip down south. I had never been there before and my DH had started telling me all about that movie (which I had never seen before) and he had me really freaked out...you know being a yankee and all, plus we had small kids with us and he made it all sound so scary...so anyways we started heading up to Chimney Rock so we can take a look and I realize I have no film in my camera so we stop at this little mom N pop store.
I head in and I see this guy standing by the clerk and he is wearing overalls and no shirt and has no shoes on either. I get my film and start to pay when I hear this guy go "Why that's a mighty purdy....." and that is all I heard! I left that store so fast!! I didn't get film and I have NO idea what he was saying but that was enough for me......
so I saw Chimney Rock but I can't prove it b/c I didn't have any film.

Sorry Jeepgirl...this is waaaay off the thread topic. I am sorry, but Catherder just started me remembering a family trip.....sorry.
nikia 02:04 PM 02-24-2011

no banjos but I do tend to think of Children of the Corn movie when driving to other towns before harvest
Blackcat31 02:05 PM 02-24-2011
It's okay, you all made me laugh!!! Thats the thing, both parents are sending their children to a "daycare center" in my area...so it is no different from what I teach...But maybe thats it, they just want their children to meet other children...I do my best and it makes me feel unappreciated of what I went to school for and what I teach their children...

IMO...I worked in daycare centers for 3 years and the things that I have seen drove me absolutely crazy..When I do decide to have children I honestly don't think I want my child in a daycare center...If I am still doing my In Home Child Care I will care for them and teach them. If I have changed career paths by then I would prefer them be in a home setting...
Are you licensed as a family child careor as a pre-school? Where I live that explains the difference. People sem to be willing to pay for the correct label but not the actual service provided.

I have kids that come and go throughout the day for different recreational activities such as swimming lessons and dance lessons and such and they still pay for their space, even if they aren't in it...kwim?
You also have the advantage because you have seen both sides...home and center and the parents haven't so they may not be aware of all the things going on in the centers you are referring to. I would personally just do what you do, explain what you do during the interview and expect to be paid accordingly.
Cat Herder 02:07 PM 02-24-2011
OMG!! that is too funny!!!.....one summer my DH and our 2 kids took a little trip down south. I had never been there before and my DH had started telling me all about that movie (which I had never seen before) and he had me really freaked out...you know being a yankee and all, plus we had small kids with us and he made it all sound so scary...so anyways we started heading up to Chimney Rock so we can take a look and I realize I have no film in my camera so we stop at this little mom N pop store.
I head in and I see this guy standing by the clerk and he is wearing overalls and no shirt and has no shoes on either. I get my film and start to pay when I hear this guy go "Why that's a mighty purdy....." and that is all I heard! I left that store so fast!! I didn't get film and I have NO idea what he was saying but that was enough for me......
so I saw Chimney Rock but I can't prove it b/c I didn't have any film.

Sorry Jeepgirl...this is waaaay off the thread topic. I am sorry, but Catherder just started me remembering a family trip.....sorry.
I will gladly take the blame!!! That story is too funny!!!

I was born in the "Deep South" but I grew up close to Miami, so I get to enjoy BOTH sides of these stories...
daycare 02:15 PM 02-24-2011
I will gladly take the blame!!! That story is too funny!!!

I was born in the "Deep South" but I grew up close to Miami, so I get to enjoy BOTH sides of these stories...
lol love it...
I had a southern experience as well... when I graduated HS I decided to drive from CA to Miami still not sure why, but I can say it was an adventure of a life time...

I went to a liquor store in lousiana I asked where I could get a cup for the soda fountain.(coke) The lady said we dont sell soda here... I said yes you do I see it right there... she said mam we dont sell soda here, try the grocery store..... so I was getting really frustrated and I said well then what is this, as I pointed to the soad machine. She said thats pop do you want some. UUUMMM yes thats what i have been asking from this whole time.... lol so after that I asked her how to get back on the freeway, she says we aint got one...........WTH.... finally after a bit of conversing she says oh you mean the highway 10................YES lady the freeway.........lol she ended up getting really mad at me becuase I kept finishing her sentences... i was young and impatient, but she ended up kicking me out of the store....lmao

love the difference from coast to coast and everything in between
Cat Herder 02:21 PM 02-24-2011
lol love it...
I had a southern experience as well... when I graduated HS I decided to drive from CA to Miami still not sure why, but I can say it was an adventure of a life time...

I went to a liquor store in lousiana I asked where I could get a cup for the soda fountain.(coke) The lady said we dont sell soda here... I said yes you do I see it right there... she said mam we dont sell soda here, try the grocery store..... so I was getting really frustrated and I said well then what is this, as I pointed to the soad machine. She said thats pop do you want some. UUUMMM yes thats what i have been asking from this whole time.... lol so after that I asked her how to get back on the freeway, she says we aint got one...........WTH.... finally after a bit of conversing she says oh you mean the highway 10................YES lady the freeway.........lol she ended up getting really mad at me becuase I kept finishing her sentences... i was young and impatient, but she ended up kicking me out of the store....lmao

love the difference from coast to coast and everything in between
Yep.... if you ever come back just ask for a Coke. They will ask you what flavor and THEN you say what brand of soda you want...

Sorry Jeepgirl.... blowing off political "pre-school" steam, I guess...
happykidschildcare 02:30 PM 02-24-2011
I teach preschool to my age 2 and ups and i also have parents that talk about putting there kids in preschool. I charge $150 wk fulltime and preschool's no extra charge. I find myself dumbfounded when a mom talks about putting lil ____ in preschool at age 4 and paying lots more then what they are paying here and I do just as much with the kids here then they will get at a bigger center and my ratio adult to child is way better too. IDK I guess it kinda insults me, like Im not doing a good enough job.....

I'm a firm believer in allowing kids to be kids and not pushing them, kids all learn at thier own paces no matter the resources or money paid for fancy schools. I have taught plenty of kids up until kinder registration and they have all done well.

Like Nanny I have a min requirment of 3 days a week whether parents use the 3 days they still pay and the pt rate is more then the ft daily rate. I have to make up for the 2 days I lose for that space. I currently dont take anymore pt kids I have 2 right now and lose out $ with those empty days. And filling a 2 day a week slot is impossible, at least here.
daycare 05:08 PM 02-24-2011
Originally Posted by happykidschildcare:
I teach preschool also to my age 2 and ups and i also have parents that talk about putting there kids in preschool. I charge $150 wk fulltime and preschool's no extra charge. I find myself dumbfounded when a mom talks about putting lil ____ in preschool at age 4 and paying lots more then what they are paying here and I do just as much with the kids here then they will get at a bigger center and my ratio adult to child is way better too.

I'm a firm believer in allowing kids to be kids and not pushing them, kids all learn at thier own paces no matter the resources or money paid for fancy schools. I have taught plenty of kids up until kinder registration and they are all done well.
I think some parents just enjoy the status of saying such in such goes to _____ school. It doesnt mean they are learning anymore. Just means their parents are PAYING more.....

Like Nanny I have a min requirment of 3 days a week whether parents use the 3 days they still pay and the pt rate is more then the ft daily rate. We have to make up for the 2 days we are losing for that space. I currently dont take anymore pt kids I have 2right now and lose out $ with those empty slots. And filling a 2 day a week slot is immpossible, at least here.
I have sold the one on one vs preschool for my preschool program.. I save work and videos to show the parents that their 3yr old can write their name and so on and so on. Children will NOT have one on one lessons in a preschool and will not have this advantage.
Tags:inhome daycare, preschool, preschool vs home care
Reply Up