Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Okay, Here's A Potty Training Question For You!
Missani 12:07 PM 02-28-2011
Okay, so DCD brought his child in today and said, "DCG went potty all weekend and even told us when she had to go. She's pooping on the potty and doing really well, so we expect that you will work with us and she'll be completely trained in a month or so. Is that a reasonable expectation?"

Umm...sure??? Well, DCG has NEVER gone potty or told me she has to go potty or anything here...because DCG is 17 months old!!!! She can't talk. She can't drink from a cup or stay sitting in a chair for a whole meal time without getting up 25-30 times. She dumps toys all day, is a horrible napper but sleeps in a crib, etc. She's a baby!

I've been potty training kids for a long time, and I'd like to think I'm pretty good at it. I was a toddler teacher for a really long time, a nanny, and I think I've potty trained nearly 175 toddlers. I'm not exaggerating! In my time, the youngest I've ever seen completely trained is 22 months, and that was only once. I have seen a handful under 2 years, but in all cases except one, it was the parents who were trained and not the child.

So how am I supposed to train a 17 month old this month now that I have a "deadline?" I don't know what to say. This morning I told DCD that I was glad she was interested in the potty but to remember that she is still really young. I don't know what else to do. To make matters worse, I have my daycare in my basement, but there is no finished bathroom down here. We are in the process of finishing it, but for now, we are getting by. I have 2 potty trained children currently and both are 4 years old. They are kind of on a "schedule" to make the best of our situation. We go upstairs only to go outside, so I have them go potty before we start getting outdoor clothes on and when we come in (about 1.5-2 hrs. apart). Then, after lunch, I put the littles down for nap and take them up. In the afternoon or if they have to go at "unscheduled" times, I let them go alone. I can hear them, and I can easily get there if they need help. My licensor knows this and is fine with this temporary arrangement.

Anyway, so if I am supposed to train a 17 month old, this will not work. I cannot bring all of the kids upstairs all day (all supplies/equipment/table and chairs for meals, etc.) are downstairs. I obviously cannot leave 5 children 4 and under downstairs for a huge chunk of the day while I potty train a baby, and I know it will involve a large part of the day. Also, the parents do not want her using a potty chair because she should learn on the big potty so she's not confused, so that eliminates the possibility of bringing a potty chair downstairs.

I don't think I can do this, and it's all kind of silly to me. Shouldn't we focus on using a spoon or learning to talk or drink from a cup instead at this age? I finally just took the bottle away from her in January, but she still gets it at home. Maybe wean from the bottle? Or sit long enough for a board book to be read to her before expecting her to sit long enough to go potty? It's a bit hard not to laugh. That being said, I don't want to discourage interest if she is indeed interested in going potty, and I am happy to help with potty training when the time is right.

What do I say to the parents? (And how do I say it with a straight face?)
Tags:potty training
Up