Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nannyde or any Nurse
nikia 06:09 AM 03-03-2011
I have a question about a dcb. Mom said he pulled a 13 inch tv down and it hit his head last night. He is acting normal, except he says his stomach hurts and has had 2 loose bm. Are loose bm's a sign of anything after a head injury? I get so nervous with head injuries in my own children let alone daycare kids. Any advice on what I should do? Was thinking I should just call mom and have him go home because of more than one loose bm anyway.
Little People 06:12 AM 03-03-2011
Aww poor little guy. How old is he? Did he have any bumps on his head?
nikia 06:14 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by Little People:
Aww poor little guy. How old is he? Did he have any bumps on his head?
He is two, his eye is swollen bruise across his nose, and a gash on his forhead, bump on the top by hairline
nannyde 06:14 AM 03-03-2011
I wouldn't have taken him without a Doctor's note giving specific supervision directions.

If he requires any additional supervision based on the head injury he would not be able to attend.

Call the Mom and tell her you must have a doctors note with instructions before he can return AND the instructions need to be given BEFORE she brings him back so you can determine if you can care for him.
jen 06:14 AM 03-03-2011
Yikes, did he see the doctor?
nikia 06:16 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I wouldn't have taken him without a Doctor's note giving specific supervision directions.

If he requires any additional supervision based on the head injury he would not be able to attend.

Call the Mom and tell her you must have a doctors note with instructions before he can return AND the instructions need to be given BEFORE she brings him back so you can determine if you can care for him.
Well thats the thing they didnt take him to be seen, so I have other questions banging in my head. I will call mom Thank you
nikia 06:17 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
Yikes, did he see the doctor?
Nope they didnt take him, so she sent me a text asking how bad I thought it looked and I said that with a head injury I think he should be seen, she said Ill see what I can do and let you know.
nannyde 06:26 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by nikia:
Nope they didnt take him, so she sent me a text asking how bad I thought it looked and I said that with a head injury I think he should be seen, she said Ill see what I can do and let you know.
I wouldn't allow her the choice. She doesn't have to take him in... I just would want the Dr's instructions. She and the Doc can discuss whether or not he needs to come in to get those to you.
nikia 06:30 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I wouldn't allow her the choice. She doesn't have to take him in... I just would want the Dr's instructions. She and the Doc can discuss whether or not he needs to come in to get those to you.
Okay thank you, is there anything else I should watch for before she gets here? He is playing and acting normal, I am worried about the stomach sick feeling, but that could be something else too, so I just want to make sure I am looking for the right things. He didnt eat breakfast either. So either way with the loose bm by my sick policy he has to leave for that.
Cat Herder 06:41 AM 03-03-2011
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/907273-overview
Mrs.Ky 07:42 AM 03-03-2011
I'm not a nurse but a Mom and my Son when he was 2 tried to climb the dresser and it fell on him it was a tall heavy dresser and he went to the ER right away he only had bruises and a nose bleed everything turned out fine. He also one time was climbing outside and fell and hit his head he had a minor consussion he had rapid eye movement, couldnt walk straight, confused, etc he went to ER also that time. The Mom should of taken him to get checked out and I agree with Nan the Mother needs to call the doctors and get advice on what to do.
DCMomOf3 07:53 AM 03-03-2011
Another mom story: My DS was 9 months old and was pulling up on furniture. I had my laptop on a small table and he pulled the table over and the laptop caught him right above his ear. He acted fine but I noticed a squishy bump forming after about 10 minutes. He had gotten a skull fracture from the laptop, which is a lot lighter than a TV. I am glad you called the mom, I hope it's not as bad as my son's injury was, but if you are concerned, I'd make sure to get a doctor's note.
nannyde 08:26 AM 03-03-2011
How's he doing now? Did Mom come and get him?
nikia 09:31 AM 03-03-2011
Yes she did come and get him. She took him to doc and they said just to watch for the next 24 hours.
laundrymom 09:36 AM 03-03-2011
(((()))) poor guy. I had a new to shoes 10 mo old trip and get a bump this morning, I can't imagine a tv falling on one.
daycare 10:13 AM 03-03-2011
this happened to one of my DCB a few months ago. He some how knocked the tv down in his room and it hit him on the head/eye.

The moms boyfriend dropped off the kid in the morning with a huge blackeye and a bandaid going accross his eye and forehead. I could not belive me eyes it looked so horrible.. I asked if they took him to the doctors and she said for what?? I was in shock.

My husband has a medical background, so he looked him over and said he looked ok, but made the mom take him back home...

in the end, nothing was medically wrong with the child, but I wasnt taking any chances..

sorry you have to deal with this, its stressful and sad..
QualiTcare 10:37 AM 03-03-2011
generally if there is a serious injury there will be signs right away and not signs that you can ignore - meaning their eyes rolling back in their heads or blood coming from their ears.

i took my son to the ER way before i even thought about becoming a nurse bc he hit his head and a HUGE knot popped up like the size of an egg. the doctor didn't seem concerned and i asked how to know when i should bring him in bc i suspected it wouldn't be the last head injury.

he did have a couple more scares and i just called the "ask a nurse" hotline and kept an eye on him. i had always heard not to let kids sleep after they hit their head too, but it turns out that's another myth.

honestly, i wouldn't have taken him to the doctor either - JMO.
Tags:head injury
Reply Up