Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Baby That Won't Drink
Lyss 02:47 PM 01-08-2013
I have a 13mo old DCG and since being weened off the bottle she barely drinks anything.

DCPs aren't doing milk due to a family history of dairy allergies (they haven't actually tried milk) and for awhile they brought "toddler" formula that I would put into a sippy but she'd barely drink any. Now they don't bring anything. So my only option to give her is water or juice (which DCM doesn't approve of...). Anyway, I can get her to drink about 4-6oz of water/juice over the course of the day but at home she won't drink anything, maybe 2-4oz in a day.

I leave a sippy cup out for her with water at all times and then she gets water/juice at meals. I suggested giving her the sippy 1st (before meals) and giving her foods with liquids (cereal, soups, oatmeal...)

Any other ideas?
Blackcat31 02:51 PM 01-08-2013
Not to sound jaded or skeptical but are you 100% sure she was weaned off the bottle or is it just at your house?

Seems the case is usually the child doesn't or won't drink anything at child care because they are holding out for the bottle at home.
ashleyh 02:55 PM 01-08-2013
When ours was little we kinda bribed him with juices and sweeter drinks..it sounds horrible but after a little while of getting a "reward" drinking from the new cup we slowly integrated milk or water. We were careful with the milk because my family has a history of milk allergy as well so it was given in small increments until we knew he was ok. Some days he refused water or milk so then we tried pediasure. Thankfully he liked it so it helped during the transition.

Would mom be on board with things like Pediasure, Pedialite, or even an almond or soy milk?
countrymom 03:01 PM 01-08-2013
so what is she suppose to drink all day if they don't do milk or juice. I would give her juice and call it a day she needs to drink. Just because there is a family history doesn't mean that she is allergic to it. And I second the bottle.
Lyss 03:01 PM 01-08-2013
When DCD came in after their Christmas break and told me they were off the bottle I was completely surprised. I literally expected this DCG to be on a bottle til 18mos or so (at home anyway).

DCPs are freaking out because DCD threw out the bottles and now she won't drink anything at home. According to DCM the 4-6oz I get down her is double what they can. DCM says they can only get 2-4oz max at home down her. I do know that DCM is still breastfeeding but only right before bed.

I change a wet diaper every 2-3 hours and she's acting fine (no splotchy skin or tiredness) so I think she's doing ok but DCM says at home sometimes she dry for 4-6 hours.

I told DCM to bring in the lactaid milk they are using or soy but neither appear.
cheerfuldom 03:06 PM 01-08-2013
I would absolutely NOT provide care until they provide something appropriate for you to offer this child. I understand that baby might refuse it but it is your responsibility to offer this child something! they need to keep trying stuff until something works, not just give up! who sends their baby to daycare with no formula or milk options?

she may be totally tanking up at home during that evening breast feed though.
Lyss 03:07 PM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
so what is she suppose to drink all day if they don't do milk or juice. I would give her juice and call it a day she needs to drink. Just because there is a family history doesn't mean that she is allergic to it. And I second the bottle.
My concern is they are just offering her water, no milk alternative or juice. They said she wouldn't take the lactaid so obviously they tried it but I don't know if they are continuing to offer things. DCM is wishy washy with her answers.

Honestly I thought about giving her some regular milk and see how it goes.
Lyss 03:17 PM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I would absolutely NOT provide care until they provide something appropriate for you to offer this child. I understand that baby might refuse it but it is your responsibility to offer this child something! they need to keep trying stuff until something works, not just give up! who sends their baby to daycare with no formula or milk options?

she may be totally tanking up at home during that evening breast feed though.
I plan to have a talk with mom that she needs something more. I provide milk but they don't want her to have cows milk. I don't provided soy/lactaid so i told mom to bring some in. She eats really well, she'll eat double what my 13mo eats (sometimes as much as the 2yr olds) but the more I think about it the more I'm beginning to wonder about what she actually is offered food/drink wise at home.

I also wondered about the evening breastfeeding being a belly filler.
daycarediva 03:19 PM 01-08-2013
eeeeeek! I would try an open cup. Sip at a time to start and see how she does. I had a dcb drinking out of a cup at 10m without spilling (much anyway) because he refused sippies completely & dcm exclusively breastfed so he was never offered a bottle. They started a regular cup at 6m and he did great with it!
sharlan 03:40 PM 01-08-2013
I just went through this. Others won't agree with my solution but it's the only one that worked for us.

I tossed away my bottles when the youngest turned 1 in November. We tried milk in a sippy cup, but she wouldn't drink it for me. I did put milk on her Cheerios or in her baby cereal. Mom gave her milk in a bottle a couple of times and both times she ended up with diarrhea.

My little one went 3 weeks without taking a drop of liquid out of a sippy cup. I would squirt a bit of milk, juice, or water in her mouth and she wouldn't swallow it, just spit it out. I held out knowing she would give in and take the sippy cup. I even tried using a spoon.

Everyday she was scratching Mom up trying to get her shirt off to nurse the second she walked through the door. The baby would get hysterical trying to nurse. Mom still nurses at home. (I was changing 2 wet diapers a day. I knew she wasn't getting enough fluid.)

I gave up. Mom provides me with Capri Sun V and that's what she drinks here. I still put milk in her cereal, but don't give it to her to drink.

Mom says she will drink water at home, but I really doubt it. She has never drank a sip here. If I put it in her sippy cup, she will spit it out, not swallow it.
Lyss 03:57 PM 01-08-2013
I'll try the cup and see.

This DCM gets annoyed every time she see's we had juice so I know the capri sun wouldn't go over well. But no judgment, the spitting liquid out is excactly what this DCG does if you tried to spoon/squirt it

Ps: sorry if the spelling/formatting is all messed from here out the dog just caught my computer cord running to bark at the UPS guy across the street and sent my computer flying and cracked the screen beyond repair.
countrymom 04:39 PM 01-08-2013
have you tried giving it to her with a straw. Water down juice would be fine, but she needs some liquid.
kitykids3 05:07 PM 01-08-2013
I'm having the same problem here. However, USDA food program says I have to offer milk at breakfast and lunch. I offer, if she refuses then nothing I can do. I try to offer other fluids also, but she doesn't drink much. At first she got to the point she was dehydrated. We had to revert back to formula/milk mix. I guess mom is getting enough fluids in her now, even though we've weaned her totally to milk.
I'm surprised she thinks dcb should go without any type of milk/alternative.
Scout 06:38 PM 01-08-2013
You can serve foods like applesauce or other fruits to make sure she gets fluids that way as well as what you already said. Popsicles?? Or sugar free jello would be yummy.
Lyss 09:12 PM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
have you tried giving it to her with a straw. Water down juice would be fine, but she needs some liquid.
We tried this, DCPs even bought a new sippy w/straw and those curly straws (plus the regular ones), but it was a no go.

Originally Posted by Scout:
You can serve foods like applesauce or other fruits to make sure she gets fluids that way as well as what you already said. Popsicles?? Or sugar free jello would be yummy.

She's a great eater so I think the fruit is a good option. Popsicles and jello are also good ideas! Thanks!
MamaG 09:14 PM 01-08-2013
If she wets her diaper then there's nothing to worry about. She will drink when she is thirsty.
Meyou 01:11 AM 01-09-2013
Originally Posted by MamaG:
If she wets her diaper then there's nothing to worry about. She will drink when she is thirsty.
I agree with this.

I also disagree that you need to offer juice to get her to drink. I don't even buy juice and all of my kids are a-ok and don't miss what they don't have. In fact I bought orange juice for Christmas morning and my kids (teens) looked at me like I had 5 heads.

I might be inclined to try a watery smoothy if I was really desperate with her.
Tags:won't drink
Reply Up