Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Vomit
SquirrellyMama 06:59 AM 07-25-2013
Do you ever not send home when a child vomits? I feel a little bit bad. I know I shouldn't . If he isn't ill anymore today I will feel like I sent him home prematurely.

Kelly
Blackcat31 07:05 AM 07-25-2013
Nope. I don't care if they vomit simply from coughing too hard. I can't take the chance that it COULD be something else.

A lot of kids just get the 24 hour bug so he could very well be perfectly fine the next day but I exclude for a FULL 24 hours after a vomit incident so he still wouldn't be returning the next day.

I also use the 24/48 hour rule so in my case, he'd be home for 48 hours rather than just 24.

I don't care why a child has a symptom, I am only concerned with the fact that they have a symptom...kwim?
williams2008 07:12 AM 07-25-2013
Nope...I always send them home.
Scout 07:20 AM 07-25-2013
why would you feel bad? 2x I had tp pick up ds for this and i wasnt mad at all. I would rather he be home with me...and both times he only got sick there!
mema 07:22 AM 07-25-2013
Don't feel bad. No matter the reason, they should be home. My ds threw up once at dc and was completely normal after, but I'm glad he went home with me-just in case.
Brooksie 07:23 AM 07-25-2013
SEND HOME. I wouldn't take the chance. Other wise tomorrow you might have 4 sick kids throwing up and you could be too. Doesn't matter why. Risk is too high.
Familycare71 07:23 AM 07-25-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Nope. I don't care if they vomit simply from coughing too hard. I can't take the chance that it COULD be something else.

A lot of kids just get the 24 hour bug so he could very well be perfectly fine the next day but I exclude for a FULL 24 hours after a vomit incident so he still wouldn't be returning the next day.

I also use the 24/48 hour rule so in my case, he'd be home for 48 hours rather than just 24.

I don't care why a child has a symptom, I am only concerned with the fact that they have a symptom...kwim?

SquirrellyMama 07:29 AM 07-25-2013
He is going home. I let mom know right away. I think I will always feel a little bad since everyone had their day interrupted. I was just asking in case I was missing a reason to let him stay.

I get stomach bugs too easily.

Kelly
KIDZRMYBIZ 07:37 AM 07-25-2013
I have NOT sent home when a child vomits that first time, when they are not running a fever and seem to be playing well, and then totally regretted late in the day (usually right after nap). Then they spike a horrendous fever, completely empty the contents of their stomach in several locals of my carpet, and I had to deal with the worst of their 24 hour bug.

So, no, you did nothing wrong. I think it's best to err on the side of precaution. Besides, in this day of age, dcm's and dcd's take all kinds of personal days while the kids sit in daycare, so they can use one of those days for an instance like this.
JenNJ 07:43 AM 07-25-2013
I always send home. It is not my job to deal with vomit. That is part of being a PARENT. Kids are disruptive and inconvenient. Welcome to parenting!
SquirrellyMama 07:57 AM 07-25-2013
Dad came and got him. He was sleeping when dad picked up so I think he probably needs some rest. These parents are really good. They often take days off to spend with the kids so I can't complain about the family. I think maybe that is why I feel bad when I send their kids home. They are a super family

If they were rotten I wouldn't feel so bad

Kelly
mom2many 08:18 AM 07-25-2013
It had been a really long time since I had to call a parent to come pick up a sick child...in fact I don't even remember when it had happened last! But this past Tuesday 1 1/2 yo dcg arrives and literally 15 min later, she projectiles on the kitchen floor. (I was so thankful it was there and not on my carpet!) I texted dcm and she was picked up 10 min later and was actually acting fine after getting sick, but I was not about to take any chances!

She returned this morning and dcm said she had "suspicious" diapers the rest of that day, so something was definitely wrong! I was really glad I'd sent her home!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:52 AM 07-25-2013
I use to have a kido that would get car sick and some mornings he would vomit within minutes of getting here out of the car. I would lay him down for a bit and see how he felt. His mom was really good though and kept him home if any of her kids had anything. He was just a car sick kid.
So in answer to your question, yes I have but I knew that about this kid.
Otherwise, they vomit they go home! Even if they seem to feel better afterwards. You did good.
Cradle2crayons 07:16 PM 07-25-2013
Originally Posted by mom2many:
It had been a really long time since I had to call a parent to come pick up a sick child...in fact I don't even remember when it had happened last! But this past Tuesday 1 1/2 yo dcg arrives and literally 15 min later, she projectiles on the kitchen floor. (I was so thankful it was there and not on my carpet!) I texted dcm and she was picked up 10 min later and was actually acting fine after getting sick, but I was not about to take any chances!

She returned this morning and dcm said she had "suspicious" diapers the rest of that day, so something was definitely wrong! I was really glad I'd sent her home!
Oh wow... Here they would have had to stay home one more day lol..

I have very lax illness policies compared to some... But vomit is an immediate phone call.. As is suspicious diapers
cheerfuldom 08:37 AM 07-26-2013
Originally Posted by SquirrellyMama:
He is going home. I let mom know right away. I think I will always feel a little bad since everyone had their day interrupted. I was just asking in case I was missing a reason to let him stay.

I get stomach bugs too easily.

Kelly
you aren't interrupting their day. you are requiring them to be parents and that means that a sick child IS the priority for that day. thats more urgent than work. if you dont provide sick care, you don't provide it. the parents should not be surprised when a child gets sick or when you enforce your sick policy. there is nothing to feel bad about!
Unregistered 10:35 AM 07-26-2013
I have a foster kid in my care who sometimes vomits after returning from forced parental visits. The visits are out of control, the kids get upset, and one vomits after returning. This is the only time I don't send a kid home for vomiting.
Tags:sick policy, vomit
Reply Up