Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Picky Eater and Mom Packs Her Snacks
Unregistered 05:51 AM 08-10-2018
I have a six year old who claims she doesn't like most foods. Sometimes she does change her mind if she tries it, but most of the time she eats the unhealthy snacks her mom packs her. I didn't mind at first (less work for me) but now the other kids are getting jealous of her snacks and it's just causing general disharmony.

She will soon be going to school so her mom will obviously pack her lunch for that, but what do I do for the meantime/when she's not at school?
Blackcat31 05:58 AM 08-10-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a six year old who claims she doesn't like most foods. Sometimes she does change her mind if she tries it, but most of the time she eats the unhealthy snacks her mom packs her. I didn't mind at first (less work for me) but now the other kids are getting jealous of her snacks and it's just causing general disharmony.

She will soon be going to school so her mom will obviously pack her lunch for that, but what do I do for the meantime/when she's not at school?
I would focus on teaching others that not everyone has the same things. (snacks)

Being able to manage those feelings of envy over someone else's belongings/personal items is a good character trait to have.
rosieteddy 08:29 AM 08-10-2018
I agree with blackcat,but only if everyone brings food.Is this child allowed to bring snacks because she doesn't like what you serve?Then I would stop it .She is getting preferential treatment.If you don't want to fight it I would tell mom she needs to send enough for everyone.I knew a provider who had parents take turns sending approved snacks.Cut way down on her budget.You must know what things the parents typically send.Pick what you approve of and ask her to send the box, you choose what everyone gets that day.Why should child dictate snack when yours is a food included program.
LysesKids 09:35 AM 08-10-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

I finally just broke a new moms habit of this... I just explained that I didn't want the littles (all are under 18 months), wanting someone else food; some of it is because of allergies... her response, BUT I WANT blah blah blah... exactly; what mom wants - won't fly here. It's what I expect and this provider wants everyone to eat the same food everyday. I don't cater to snowflakes... her child just turned a year old Wednesday & she refuses to give up the formula until 15 months also... One issue down, another to follow soon ( little one will drink milk for me, but not for her lol)
MarinaVanessa 09:52 AM 08-10-2018
I don't allow food from home unless it aligns with the food program standards so as long as the child is getting a balanced meal and snack with appropriate serving sizes then I'm fine with it. So I use the fact that I serve healthy meals to steer junk food away from my daycare. You can go that route or just focus on teaching the others that we don't always get what we want like some of the other ladies pointed out. My worry would be that then the other parents might want to start bringing their kids their own snacks and meals and then the group (or most of) will have unhealthy snacks and food. But then again, you might be able to transition away from providing meals altogether this way.
It just depends on how you feel about it and what you're ok with.
coloradoprovider 10:01 AM 08-10-2018
Since I'm on a food program and I personally aim to serve whole grains, low sugar, lots of organic fruits and vegetables etc. I highly discourage snacks from home. Occasionally I allow a less than nutritious snack (usually a birthday sweet) if it's shared and if they have the healthy snack first. I won't allow a child to bring in junk and eat it in front of the other children. It goes home with the parent right away. I think teaching the child that they won't get preferential treatment is more important than teaching the other children to accept that it's okay for another to eat junk while they are expected to eat healthy food. This appears to be a choice, not a food allergy (in which case, nutritious alternatives would be served).
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency, food from home, food from outside
Reply Up