Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ugh!!! A Neighbor Vent...
KEG123 11:15 AM 06-08-2011
So apparently my neighbor thinks that the children in my daycare are not allowed to play and act like dogs. At least, that's what she implied.

So the kids (4 total, 18m-3yr)were all running around having fun, yipping and barking and just having fun. Then, through my back yard I see a lady peeking through my bushes.

She goes "WHAT IS THAT?!" (REALLY snotty like)

So I replied, "They're children."

"Well WHAT are they doing? It sounds like someone is strangling a dog back here"

(Jaw on the floor) "Uh.... they're playing, pretending they're dogs."

"Are they all yours?!"

(How is that HER business???) "Well, one of them is... The others aren't."

Then she huffs and puffs and goes "Ughhh.... whatever"

WTF OLD BITTY! Mind your own business! My kids are trying to have fun, and YOU ruined it!! (Because that distracted them, and then they all went off in different directions because she scared them)

I just couldn't believe her attitude. Looking at me and them like scum. Wtf...
heyhun77 11:23 AM 06-08-2011
Is the daycare or the neighbor new? My neighbors absolutely LOVE when the kids are pretending and will sit out on their patio to listen. Some come over and chat with the kids but most will just listen and smile while we are outside playing. Maybe your neighbor just needs to be on the receiving end of a really cute card, some artwork or to hear some cute songs in the backyard while you are outside.
KEG123 11:25 AM 06-08-2011
Technically, yes. But my neighbor also does daycare and she's been open 20+ years.
DBug 11:52 AM 06-08-2011
Reminds me of my grumpy neighbour ...

I was letting the kids outside one at a time while getting them ready for the bus stop (big sliding glass door, I can see the whole fully-fenced yard, so everyone's safe when I do it this way). So I'm on the inside of the screen getting the next kid ready when I hear a strange voice and see my dc kids at the top of climber with shocked expressions on their faces. I step outside and hear my neighbour yelling at them to be quiet . I was pretty shocked myself, and said "I'm sorry, are we being too loud?" trying not to sound sarcastic. He say "YEAH, just a BIT!" and goes back in. I festered about it all day. Totally ruined my groove. I just couldn't believe he would yell at kids that aren't his own.

So anyway, later on in the evening, his girlfriend comes over. I'm thinking she wants to either apologize for his behaviour, or tell me that she agrees with him and that we need to keep quiet (yeah, right!).

Nope, she wants a daycare space .

Um nope, sorry, all full!
KEG123 12:18 PM 06-08-2011
See I wouldn't have minded if she said we were being too loud, (But um, hellooooo we're OUTSIDE!!) it was just the WAY she said it. She was so snotty I wanted to go over there and wipe her nose. (lol)

Seriously, just a grumpy old lady.
Michelle 01:25 PM 06-08-2011
next time tell her that you are waiting for the mother ship to take you all back to mars !!!
Then memorize that look on her face when you need a laugh
wdmmom 01:40 PM 06-08-2011
I haven't had any problems with my neighbors. I had one ask a few years back (when I first started) why there was so much in & out traffic at 7am. I told him I provide in-home daycare and I've never heard another word from any of my neighbors.

I live directly behind a center. They also toss toys over. My puppy loves that!
Kaddidle Care 02:17 PM 06-08-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
I see a lady peeking through my bushes.
Next time have a loaded super soaker ready. You can hit her from clear across the yard! Tee Hee! Better yet - keep some handy for the kids to get her!

I get after the kids if they are squealing full tilt boogie because if it hurts my ears, it's probably annoying the neighbors.
Normal outdoor chatter from kids is kind of a nice sound though.

Maybe she's just annoyed because it sounds like YOUR kids are having more fun than hers.
KEG123 02:29 PM 06-08-2011
her kids are her pets, one of which I'm sure is pooping in my yard. GR!
daycare 02:58 PM 06-08-2011
This is what i do.
SO on each side of me are older people. They are both retired and both are home most of the time. They were not crazy about the DC at first and one of them came over to say that the noise level at outside play time was just too much. At first I was a little shocked, but i said sorry and I would do my best to control it, however, they are kids and they need room to be kids...

So the next day the kids and I made chocolate covered strawberries and took them to both neighbors, even thought the other did not complain. We made a card and said thank you for letting us be our loud crazy silly self when we play outside.

at christams time we went and sang xmas carols and we brought them eggs at easter. We tend to try to bring them stuff every holiday. They love us now, but the old lady will still say from time to time....Boy oh boy you guys are loud. But it's in a nice way........I know now this is her way of asking us to quiet down.....

Kill her with kindness....the last think you want is to annoy her in anyway and have her call LIC or state on you. I have found that old people who have nothing better to do with their time will find ANYTHING to do wtih thier time even if that means she spends all of her time complaining about you.
sharlan 03:13 PM 06-08-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
This is what i do.
SO on each side of me are older people. They are both retired and both are home most of the time. They were not crazy about the DC at first and one of them came over to say that the noise level at outside play time was just too much. At first I was a little shocked, but i said sorry and I would do my best to control it, however, they are kids and they need room to be kids...

So the next day the kids and I made chocolate covered strawberries and took them to both neighbors, even thought the other did not complain. We made a card and said thank you for letting us be our loud crazy silly self when we play outside.

at christams time we went and sang xmas carols and we brought them eggs at easter. We tend to try to bring them stuff every holiday. They love us now, but the old lady will still say from time to time....Boy oh boy you guys are loud. But it's in a nice way........I know now this is her way of asking us to quiet down.....

Kill her with kindness....the last think you want is to annoy her in anyway and have her call LIC or state on you. I have found that old people who have nothing better to do with their time will find ANYTHING to do wtih thier time even if that means she spends all of her time complaining about you.
That's a good way to handle it.
KEG123 03:13 PM 06-08-2011
Well the thing is, she lives BEHIND us, aka there is a little wooded area between our yards. Really I have no way to get to her house unless I walk through the thick bushes (like she almost did) or else walk around the block to get there. She also lives on a private drive so I don't want to go over to tresspass. Maybe if she was a direct neighbor, it'd be different, but I'm not going to go way out of my way to be nice to her when she was VERY rude to me.
daycare 03:22 PM 06-08-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
Well the thing is, she lives BEHIND us, aka there is a little wooded area between our yards. Really I have no way to get to her house unless I walk through the thick bushes (like she almost did) or else walk around the block to get there. She also lives on a private drive so I don't want to go over to tresspass. Maybe if she was a direct neighbor, it'd be different, but I'm not going to go way out of my way to be nice to her when she was VERY rude to me.
lol trust me I know what you mean....these neighbors of mine are no where near kind. they are grumy, they complain about just about everything every person in our neighbor hood does and so on.... I know what you mean....Maybe you yourself can deliever something that the kids make for her.....Take the higher road

Old people can be a pain, I hope to god I am not like this when i get older..... Maybe she just needs somone to bring her alittle bit of happiness... take the higher road
KEG123 03:50 PM 06-08-2011
Maybe I'll give her a present of her own cat poop.
SandeeAR 04:41 PM 06-08-2011
Since you can't walk to her, why not let the kids do a flower pot with handprints, make a nice card. Go to the local florist and ask them to place a plant in the pot and deliver it for you? Be sure to add a smile face balloon!
Tags:neighbor issue, vent
Reply Up