Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice On Closing My Business
Unregistered 10:11 AM 04-23-2013
Loggin in unregistered as I have parents that sometimes go on here.

I have done fcc for 20 years. Loved it, but as my children have gotten older, feel that it is time to move on. I have looked in to some things, but no solid job offer yet.

In thinking and planning ahead. How do you go about telling parents and when??
I want to do it in a kind manner as I have known these families for years and don't want to have anyone upset with me.

I won't tell anyone I am looking in case things don't pan out, if I do get another job want to be prepared with how to handle things here.
Thanks for the help!
MarinaVanessa 10:29 AM 04-23-2013
My advice is that you unless you don't mind your clients leaving you long before you actually find an alternative job then I wouldn't notify them until you absolutely had to and according to what you policies say. If your policy says you have to give a 2 week notice then give that. Regardless of whether or not you are closing 2 weeks is enough time for them to find someone else. Some people give 4 weeks notice. Either is sufficient time enough.
AmyKidsCo 11:36 AM 04-23-2013
I agree, I wouldn't say anything until I had a job lined up. Depending on the job offer, you may be able to negotiate for a later start date so you can give your families more than 2 weeks' notice. And if you're sure you're done with daycare I wouldn't enroll any new families unless you really need the income.
Unregistered 12:44 PM 04-23-2013
Yes, I have the 2 week notice in the contract.
So what would you say to the families? I assume I would tell them in person. Just trying to figure out what to say.

I have a couple of interviews!!
MarinaVanessa 04:18 PM 04-23-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Yes, I have the 2 week notice in the contract.
So what would you say to the families? I assume I would tell them in person. Just trying to figure out what to say.

I have a couple of interviews!!
I'd type a generic 2 week notice of termination letter and then I'd personally tell them all as I am handing them the letter that due to unforeseen circumstances you will no longer be doing daycare and leave it at that.

No need to delve into an explanation.
Unregistered 06:13 AM 04-24-2013
I will def let them know what is going on. That I am going on to a new venture. I reall do care for these families and feel I owe them that. I will also give them some names of providers with openings to try an help them find care.

Nothing against the kids or families just time to move on!
MyAngels 12:48 PM 04-24-2013
Maybe something like this:

Dear families,

It is with mixed emotions that I write this note today. As you know I have been providing care for over 20 years now and I have loved every moment of it, but I have reached a time in my life when I feel it is time for me to explore other opportunities outside of the home.

I have decided to close my daycare business on (whatever date). I am enclosing some information that may help you in your search for a new provider.

Thank you.
Heidi 01:02 PM 04-24-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:

Dear families,

It is with mixed emotions that I write this note today. As you know I have been providing care for over 20 years now and I have loved every moment of it, but I have reached a time in my life when I feel it is time for me to explore other opportunities outside of the home.

I have decided to close my daycare business on (whatever date). I am enclosing some information that may help you in your search for a new provider.

Thank you.

I would personally try to tell them in small groups. Start with "Well, I have some news..." Then, ask group A not to tell group B and so on until you've told everyone. The letter is a formality to me.

2 weeks. That's all your contract says, so that's all I'd give them. It's hard but it's the only way, and as wonderful as your clients are, it is what every one of them would do. You know it.

Maybe you could have a goodbye potluck on your last day? Give them all a little token gift. Find something on pintrest, or get everyone a book and put a picture of yourself holding the child inside, along with a note. Don't forget something for the older sibs that have graduated, too.
TheGoodLife 01:15 PM 04-24-2013

Dear families,

Thank you.

Love this!
mema 01:20 PM 04-24-2013

Dear families,

Thank you.

I may need to print and stuff this away!
Tags:closing daycare - how to
Reply Up