Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>1st Late Fee!
EchoMom 05:33 PM 08-16-2012
I HATE the enforcing rules side of this business! I don't want to be a mean person, so why do parents force my hand??? I had teacher's kids back today for the first day. Last year I let them (because they were the 1st clients I signed up) have over my 10 hour maximum for free, and I never charged them a late fee ever last year, even though it often happened, and happened more and more...

This year I sent them a new contract and noted new policies and said that they must be within the 10 hour maximum and late fees will be enforced. I must say that I really was surprised that right off the bat on the first day back, pick up was late!!!

So of course since it's day one, now was the time to either enforce, or let it keep happening all year, now or never right? So I did, and I felt horrible and was shaking inside I was so nervous. And dad is a timid guy anyway so I felt bad having to tell him.

Anyway, it was 12 min/$12. Not a huge deal, but that's just it, I don't want the money, I just don't want to work later and later and later.
Sprouts 06:43 PM 08-16-2012

Good for you it gets easier and easier to deal with stuff like this.
juliebug 06:48 PM 08-16-2012
good for you! i sure they will be more on time now!
nothingwithoutjoy 06:58 PM 08-16-2012
Good for you. I hate enforcing that stuff, too, but sure enough, it gets worse and worse if you don't. I made a form to bill for the extra, so that I don't have to talk to them about it. Makes it easier.
EchoMom 07:08 PM 08-16-2012
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
Good for you. I hate enforcing that stuff, too, but sure enough, it gets worse and worse if you don't. I made a form to bill for the extra, so that I don't have to talk to them about it. Makes it easier.
Good idea, what kind of form??? Just like a late fee notice note?
nothingwithoutjoy 12:27 AM 08-17-2012
Yes, a simple fill-in-the-blank form that I use for any extra charges:

Bill for extra hours/services

Please pay ____________ for _______ hours additional care on __________________ .

___ $12/hour additional-hours rate
___ $1/minute late fee rate
___ no fee; included in tuition ( ___ 1st free evening; ___ 2nd free evening)

Please pay ____________ for _______ diapers used this week.
saved4always 04:07 AM 08-17-2012
You definitely did the right thing. The fee has to be hefty to discourage them from being late since you don't want to work that long. Don't feel bad about it. They agreed to the new contract with the changes in it so they need to follow it.
Blackcat31 07:33 AM 08-17-2012
Good job! The best part is ususally once a family gets hit with the consequence of the rule, they rarely re-offend.
NiNi.R. 03:20 PM 08-17-2012
That's great

I just had my first one the other day with a new client. She was supposed to have me paid no later than on Monday at their arrival. She admitted that she had tried to transfer money on Saturday but had trouble with her computer so she would do it later.

I sat in front of my computer for a few minutes trying to decide rather or not I should tack on the late fee or let it slide. Luckily I have minute menu so I tacked on the extra $5.00 emailed her a new invoice. By lunch it was paid in full and not a word was said about it
Tags:backbone, late fee
Reply Up