Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can a 2 Yr Old DCG Purposely Hold Her Urine?
TSDaycare 08:36 AM 06-11-2015
Started potty training last week, accidents as expected. This week she holds her urine, even at home, for hours at a time. As soon as diaper goes on, she fills it up. I put diaper on to go outside, to the bus, to sleep, and for pick up. She even stays dry at night and won't go in the morning until mom puts diaper back on before they leave house.
jenboo 09:36 AM 06-11-2015
Yes they can.
I would either go cold turkey with the diapers or go back to only diapers.
Play Care 10:01 AM 06-11-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Yes they can.

Heidi 10:39 AM 06-11-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Yes they can.

But, I'd get the parents on board.

Have them get rid of any diapers they have at home, and go cold turkey this weekend. Some water-proof bed protection may be in order.

I planned ahead with my new pt trainer. I made mom ditch all the diapers (and I was bossy about it, too). We started potty training last week, and I think she's 95% there. Oh, and she can completely undress, go potty, wipe herself, redress, wash hands, and turn off the light. She's 2 years 5 months, and I knew she was ready because I'd taught her all the other stuff FIRST.
hope 10:39 AM 06-11-2015
Yes they can and it can be very unhealthy. When the bladder stretches it can cause lesions and she can get a bladder infection or even worse. I have a dcg that always held it. Sometimes all day and she ended up with multiple bladder infections and a blockage.
Heidi 10:44 AM 06-11-2015
Has she successfully gone in the potty (pee or BM) at all yet?
TSDaycare 10:51 AM 06-11-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Has she successfully gone in the potty (pee or BM) at all yet?
I am usually successful getting her to go once a day on the potty so far. She is very excited when she goes. I thought at first she still needed to pick up on the feeling of having to go, then this week I couldn't believe how she was holding it all of a sudden.
Rockgirl 10:55 AM 06-11-2015
Have you tried stepping out of the bathroom when she's on the potty? I've found many times that they won't go if you're right there watching. I usually say, "I'll be right back!" Then step outside the doorway for a minute or two. It really works for some!
Tags:2 year old, won't go potty
Reply Up