Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Siblings fighting
TSDaycare 07:36 AM 06-18-2015
How do you all handle? Family of 4 drive each other nuts all day, you would think they would want to play with others but continue to pick at each other constantly!
Play Care 09:04 AM 06-18-2015
They would be completely separated all day long. Set up centers/areas and rotate groups of your choosing through. Same with outside ("Blue group is on swings, yellow group in the sand, green group plays with the ride ons - Mrs T will let you know when we switch!")
They would be on notice that they needed to be kind to each other and any instance of arguing would be and immediate/no warning TO/sit out. I would make sure to plan lots of fun activities here so that they are upset they miss out - it should sting a bit, IMO. "I know you are upset you missed out on sprinklers today, hopefully we will remember to use kind words and try again tomorrow."
Blackcat31 09:41 AM 06-18-2015
I purposely separate siblings.

As the oldest of 6 kids myself, I hated always having to keep an eye on my younger siblings.

My sister (who is one of the youngest) said she always hated having to tag along with me when she didn't always want to.

I purposely separate siblings so they have their own space and can choose activities and playmates based on their own interests and likes.

They can play together at home.
TSDaycare 11:21 AM 06-18-2015
Unfortunately I don't have the capacity of kids where I can seperate them or give them a buddy. They would be forced to play by themselves instead of with each other. I just know they are VERY comfortable here, and they wouldn't act like this at another strange providers home!
Blackcat31 12:44 PM 06-18-2015
Originally Posted by TSDaycare:
How do you all handle? Family of 4 drive each other nuts all day, you would think they would want to play with others but continue to pick at each other constantly!
Unfortunately I don't have the capacity of kids where I can seperate them or give them a buddy. They would be forced to play by themselves instead of with each other. I just know they are VERY comfortable here, and they wouldn't act like this at another strange providers home!
It's clear though that they don't want to play with each other....

Nothing wrong with playing alone if you can't play nicely with the playmates available. Regardless of relation.
childcaremom 01:00 PM 06-18-2015
I have a small-ish group and small-ish space. I have divided the playroom into separate areas so that my siblings are separated. Outdoor space, as well.

If you can't do that, you could give them a specific station, blanket, area and tell them that they can switch in x amount of time. Each to their own area and by themselves. I actually have independent play built into our day already.

Then try to group play again. If they start acting up, separate immediately.

That's what I would do (and do with my own children when they aren't getting along). Hope that helps!
Reply Up