Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do When You Only Have 1?
pfund2233 09:25 AM 03-29-2012
Today I only have 1 DCG 2yrs old. In stead of doing the norm we went to my mother's house for breakfast and then some shopping at the mall. Getting ready to have lunch now at a fancy resurant with my mom then home for a nap. Do you think this is okay to do? Or should I have stayed on routine? She seems to be loving it and all the attention!
Country Kids 09:45 AM 03-29-2012
I would have done the same thing! Make it a very special day for her. There are days I long to go back to just having one or two but financiallyl its not the right time anymore-
Breezy 09:46 AM 03-29-2012
That sounds wonderful! I wish my parents were ok with little field trips like that (though I have never asked) it would be so much fun to go walk around the mall to get out of the house during the day every once in a blue moon. I would need a double stroller though, hehe
GrannyJ 09:51 AM 03-29-2012
Sounds like an awesome day and she probably got more out it and the bonding then if you had stayed home an on routine.
frugalmama4 10:08 AM 03-29-2012
I love it...you rock!!!

I have three here today plus one of my own...I'm totally taking them out to the park today.

It makes such a difference when you only have one or two...or in my case THE CRIER IS OUT TODAY!!! YEAH
MizzCheryl 10:13 AM 03-29-2012
I have done special outings with mine if I only had 1 or 2 and it was great for me and the kids.
wdmmom 10:21 AM 03-29-2012
If the parents permit you to transport, I say do whatever you want to do.

If that's hitting up a movie, the mall or beating the weekend crowd to get groceries, so be it.

I wouldn't go too far out of routine though. Breakfast, lunch and nap at the regular time and maybe even permit a 30 minute cartoon in the afternoon.

I had 1 last Friday. I don't transport so I spent the day sanitizing toys, door handles, light switches, wiping down the fronts of cupboards, sweeping and mopping while still keeping DCB entertained with an assortment of toys I don't normally get out and I let him watch his favorite show, "Team Unizoomi".
SunshineMama 10:25 AM 03-29-2012
Originally Posted by pfund2233:
Today I only have 1 DCG 2yrs old. In stead of doing the norm we went to my mother's house for breakfast and then some shopping at the mall. Getting ready to have lunch now at a fancy resurant with my mom then home for a nap. Do you think this is okay to do? Or should I have stayed on routine? She seems to be loving it and all the attention!
It's ok as long as the parents are ok with it. Forget the routine for a day

I only have 1 daycare girl (2.5 yrs) today. All the rest are sick. I also have my friends dd (2.5), because my friend went into labor yesterday. My oldest dd is at her grandmas, and I have my youngest dd too. We did a girls spa day. I did their hair, painted their nails, made sparkly flowers, played house outside, etc.

By far the best daycare day ever!

I wish I could open up a girls only daycare. Today was peaceful, quiet, FUN, and did not feel like work at all.
Country Kids 10:28 AM 03-29-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
It's ok as long as the parents are ok with it. Forget the routine for a day

I only have 1 daycare girl (2.5 yrs) today. All the rest are sick. I also have my friends dd (2.5), because my friend went into labor yesterday. My oldest dd is at her grandmas, and I have my youngest dd too. We did a girls spa day. I did their hair, painted their nails, made sparkly flowers, played house outside, etc.

By far the best daycare day ever!

I wish I could open up a girls only daycare. Today was peaceful, quiet, FUN, and did not feel like work at all.
I'm with you on that one! My girls play so well together and entertain themselves most of the day without me having to "Referee" at all! I love those days!
My3cents 10:29 AM 03-29-2012
I don't do field trips or transport-

I would have done a lot of one on one but mostly stayed on routine.

My routine can go out the window any day no matter how many kiddo's I have
Sunchimes 10:41 AM 03-29-2012
I loved my all girls era. I had 3, all within a month of each other in age. I was so looking forward to them getting a little older (they are 19-20 mo now) so that we could do some really cool things. Then one of the mom's got pregnant and now I have a baby boy. All of the great plans I had for this spring are out the door now. Even if I wanted to take an infant, I'm not sure whether I could get 3 car seats in my car.

It's the first time I've ever felt confined by this job. Before, on the 2 kid days, I threw them in the car and we did what needed done. I have great families when it comes to trusting me. Now I sit home.
safechner 10:43 AM 03-29-2012
If I have one daycare kid during the day and I would take her out to have some fun like going to shopping, out eat for lunch, and doing something like that. Sometime, we stay home to clean up the house and the dcg loves to help me everything.

I am so lucky that my parents are awesome that they are allowed me to take the daycare kids to go somewhere whatever it needs to.
Blackcat31 10:44 AM 03-29-2012
relax!!! Sounds heavenly!
Heidi 10:51 AM 03-29-2012
I have made it part of my policy that we can do impromptu field trips when numbers are low. (I can only fit 3 littles in my car safely). I just text them and let them know (forms are already signed). It doesn't happen often, because 4 of mine are from one family, and one of those goes to preschool until 11.

Last time it did, we went to the Wildlife Refuge. It was fun! Of course, older brother fussed a little when he got back and realized we'd gone out without him....

Occasionally, I only have my one other dcb, and then we always go shopping and have lunch somewhere. We usually go to the Salvation Army and find toys or other dc stuff.
Zoe 10:51 AM 03-29-2012
All of my daycare parents know that our days vary significantly depending on who's here, what the weather is like, if school is out, etc. Naps and meals are the same time every day, I have strict rules, but that's about it for structure. We like to mix it up!

I have permission from all the parents to transport the kiddos for whatever. Sometimes if it's just one dck and my son, we'll go to Target and look at toys, or go grocery shopping. We'll go for a walk down to my mom's house and chat with her in her yard. Next week we're going on a field trip to a local zoo with only state-wide animals since my schoolagers will be with us. I love the freedom!

I say if you have the ok from the parents, do something out of the box! The kid will appreciate the special time with you.
countrymom 11:00 AM 03-29-2012
I had one today, it was so nice. So we went to tim hortons in the morning and dropped off coffee for dh, went to my sisters house for a while and then I took her to mcdonalds and brought dh some lunch, now we are home and its nap time. I rarely get one child but it was so nice and i know she had so much fun today.
Crazy8 11:37 AM 03-29-2012
I don't transport kids, so whether it is 1 kid or 5 we pretty much stay in our routine, although I have allowed a little tv watching when its just one child for the day.

In interviews I have found parents do not want providers who take their kids out with them on errands and stuff so even if I did transport kids I would have asked the parent if they would be ok with a trip to the mall.
mema 11:42 AM 03-29-2012
It depends on the child I have. I have one that will go anywhere and do anything and behaves. I have 2 others, not so much. I took them to the movies once and out for ice cream after-never again.
My kiddos have off school next week, so I am hoping to be able to get somewhere. Mondays are usually my lightest day and next Fri I have extras, so we'll see. The week after tho I have only 1-3 ALL WEEK!! Coffee and a zoo trip will be in order then!
Zoe-if you don't mind my asking.....where in MN are you? We have a little zoo/park thing that sounds just like yours! Has deer, buffalo, turkeys, otters, etc! Kids love it there and I do to because it is small enough to get thru quick if need be, but can slow down and make it last too!
Lucy 12:38 PM 03-29-2012
Similar for me. FIRST, I hint to the mom that the kid might be bored today because there's no other kids. Some will say "oh, let me have my sister watch her then", some will not take the hint. But anyway, I will go visit my mom - she LOVES seeing little ones, as she lives in a seniors only area - then we'll go to the grocery store, maybe McDonald's for lunch so she can play on the play structure, things like that. Just busy stuff. Home in time for a nap, definitely. I wouldn't change her nap time more than 30 min at the MOST. We just generally have fun.
renodeb 04:39 PM 03-29-2012
I think its great. Im sure the child loved it. Its good to break from routine for once. Today and tomorrow I just have 2 kids,today we went to an indoor play place and they played and played. Not sure what we are gonna do tomorrow. Sometimes with just 1 or 2 I take them to lunch. I have the parents permission and they love it. I always keep them on there nap schedule though.
Debbie
Kaddidle Care 06:06 PM 03-29-2012
I used to watch just one child - my neighbor's daughter. Her parents were both Teachers. My son went off to Kindy and we'd go shopping, etc. I treated her like my own. I was Mom away from Mom. But... unlike with boys, it was FUN to shop with a little girl! Wheee!

Night and day difference and I am happy I got to enjoy both since God saw fit for me to only have boys.

Now that one is grown and the other is halfway there, I see the troubles my friends have had with their girls and I repeat very often: "I love my boys, I love my boys!"
countrymom 06:11 PM 03-29-2012
so when the mom came and got the dcg, all the dcg could talk about was how she went to mcdonalds today. She's so funny, she is one of those kids that belongs to my family, she fits in so well.
jojosmommy 06:25 PM 03-29-2012
Celebrate!!!!

I just had one kid (two out sick) the other day and I did all the inside work I could think of. He and my son play great together, so I got lots done!

I think if the parent signed a transportation form then take them out. Sounds lke you had a great time, and dck enjoyed it.
Tags:one child alone
Reply Up