Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New 20 MO Old Boy SCREAMS During Nap Time
Greenshadow 08:49 AM 08-17-2011
I have a set group of kids here that I've had for over a year. I decided to take in one more so I now have a 20 month old boy. He has only been here for three days but Im at my wits end when it comes to nap time for him. I tried putting him in a pack n play downstairs where the other two boys sleep but he screams so blood curdling loud that it keeps them up. He literally will not lay down in the pack n play. I have stood there and put him down when he stands up over and over and he will not lay down. I know his mom said that they rock him to sleep but Im not rocking him to sleep. Sorry. My other option was to put him upstairs in the bedroom in the pack n play. He does not sleep. He just screams like a wild rabid animal for as long as I keep him in there. His parents say he naps at home but they rock him to sleep. What else can I do here? The house is a wreck because he is keeping everyone up!!! I know its only been three days but its been hell at naptimes for three days!!
cheerfuldom 08:57 AM 08-17-2011
I would and have termed for a kid doing that at my house. Doesn't work for me and I am not listening to crying for 8 weeks in hope that it gets better. You know the parents may be holding him the whole nap time right?
Greenshadow 09:08 AM 08-17-2011
I have only had him 3 days. Not 8 weeks. I am sure dad is holding him. I know that mom is a doctor and works night shift and sleeps day shift. So it's dad. Regardless, Im sure he is being held and I've already told dad already that I can not hold him and rock him during naptime. That's understood. Im just not sure how long to hold out to see if he gets better. A week? Two weeks?
cheerfuldom 09:11 AM 08-17-2011
oh I know about the 3 days, I am just saying that a lot of providers have probationary periods of 2 to 8 weeks and would wait it out for awhile but for me, I don't do screamers period. If he is almost 2 and been held for naps since he was a baby, then this could be a loooong transition. If you really need to keep him, I would give it 30 days. Talk to the parents and let them know that the transition will be easier for him if they transition at home as well. They probably won't listen but it is worth a try. Has he ever been in daycare before?
Greenshadow 09:27 AM 08-17-2011
No he has never been in care before. Maybe I will say something about them doing at home what Im doing here. Good idea.
Unregistered 10:32 AM 08-17-2011
Most likely the parents have continually responded to his negative behavior at home.
Respond to it and he will keep it up. For sure put him in the pack n play upstairs, not fair for everyone to have to put up with that. It might take awhile but eventually he'll figure out, that dog and pony show won't work.
Unregistered 11:28 AM 08-17-2011
At my house the other kids would vote him off the island, lol. They would tell me to put him upstairs! Sometimes you have to separate a child like that from the other ones and let them cry it out. At that age he doesn't need to be rocked to sleep imo, thus the problem.
Cat Herder 11:57 AM 08-17-2011
Have you tried a nap mat?

My DCK's would be upset, too, to be put in a pnp at that age.

Maybe that is what he is responding to, not the nap itself?

Where does he sleep at home?
Unregistered 12:11 PM 08-17-2011
He's a 1 1/2, a pnp is totally appropriate for that age.
Cat Herder 12:43 PM 08-17-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
He's a 1 1/2, a pnp is totally appropriate for that age.
Technically, this is not true according to manufacturers recommendations.

Read all instructions BEFORE assembly and USE of product.
KEEP INSTRUCTIONS FOR FUTURE USE.
Lire les instructions d’assemblage soigneusement.
GARDEZ CES INSTRUCTIONS POUR USAGE FUTUR.
Lea todas las instrucciones ANTES de armar y
USAR este producto.
GUARDE LAS INSTRUCCIONES PARA USO FUTURO.

Using the Playard
• The playard is for playing or sleeping. When used for playing, never
leave child unattended and always keep child in view. When used for
sleeping, you must still provide the supervision necessary for the
continued safety of your child.
• Always keep the playard away from hazards in the area that may
injure your child.
• When child is able to pull to standing position, remove large toys
and other objects that could serve as steps for climbing out.
Stop using this product when your child reaches 35 inches (89 cm) in
height, weighs more than 30 pounds (14 kg), or is able to climb out.

• Do not modify playard or add any attachments that are not
listed in the owner’s manual, including an add-on bassinet.
• Child can become entrapped and die when improvised netting or
covers are placed on top of a playard. Never add such items to
confine child in playard.

The question I was asking was had she tried anything else BESIDES a pnp to resolve her situation.

Just offering a possible solution from experience
Mom_of_two 12:46 PM 08-17-2011
I would use CIO method for two weeks and reassess. Mine all sleep in pack and plays, and with in two weeks even the screamers sleep. It is just hard at first. Good luck!! I agree that a pack and play is appropriate- the majority of 20 month olds I know are still in cribs.
Cat Herder 01:04 PM 08-17-2011
Originally Posted by Mom_of_two:
I agree that a pack and play is appropriate- the majority of 20 month olds I know are still in cribs.
For the record, again. I did not say they were not.

My State did.

The Manufacturer did.

My personal opinion is irrelevant.

I was offering a possible solution.
KBCsMommy 01:10 PM 08-17-2011
I have an 8 mth old that does that too or should I say did that.
Im her first daycare provider.
She would scream blood curdling screams at nap time and no one could sleep.
I finally moved her pnp to a bedroom where she is by herself its dark and no one can wake her.
Its been 3 weeks and know she goes right down. I kept her on a schedule, I put her in her pnp, tell her night night and close the door.She might cry for 2 minutes but she goes right down.
I also have a pt dcb who just turned 2. When he first came his mom said she cant get him to take naps he just falls asleep from sheer exhaustion. The first day screamed for 45 minutes and finally fell asleep for an hour. Second time he came same thing.
Hes been coming twice a week for 3 months , now he cries because he doesnt want to nap for about 5 minutes, then gives up and goes to sleep.
Today he threw a huge fit and wouldnt even lay on his mat, I walked out of the play room and went back in a few minutes later and he had fallen asleep on the tile!!
If you seperate him and give him a few days it might work out.
SandeeAR 04:59 PM 08-17-2011
Don't count on parents letting him CIO and not holding him and rocking him.

My screamer, 17 mos, has always screamed at nap time. She cried usually 10 min and falls asleep. Will wake up cry again for about 10 min and then sleep again. She NEVER wakes up quiet, she ALWAYS wakes up screaming. I have had her since 8 weeks.

Mom has ALWAYS rocked her to sleep. Even knowing I won't do it here and knowing her child cries herself to sleep each day. When she started fighting Mom on the rocking, Mom put her in bed with her and let her fall asleep and then moves her to her bed.

All of that is to show you, parents are going to do what is easiest for THEM, not always what is best for the child. They don't have to hear the child scream every day at naptime, so to them, it isn't happening.
Unregistered 06:41 PM 08-17-2011
I would continue to try the pnp for a week to 10 days, in a room by himself, preferably darkened. Don't give in to him. If you absolutely can't tolerate him, then I would terminate. You shouldn't have to put up with that.
cheerfuldom 06:10 AM 08-18-2011
Have you checked the pnp label? He may be close to 30lbs at that age but possibly not.
Tags:nap - supplies, naptime - screamer, naptime routine, screamer
Reply Up