Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Am Starting To Really Dislike This 14-18 Month Age...
SilverSabre25 05:08 AM 01-11-2011
I have two 14 month old's and while one drives me battier than the other, neither is much of a walk in the park. I've had 14 month old's before and recall most of this same stuff with each of them. I think that I just don't like this age group.

They both have picked up screeching, they both get into what the other kids are doing, they both just scatter toys or chew on them rather than playing (one worse than the other about this), they both freak out if I go into the kitchen or bathroom or down the steps to answer the door. They are half the reason I am so stressed out and upset the past couple days. They are 90% of the reason I can't do diddly squat during the day (no cleaning, no tidying, nothing). I have to be in the playroom playing peacekeeper between the bigs and littles and between the littles themselves.

I would consider terming the newest girl but for three things: 1) her parents are best friends of one of my favorite families, 2) I need the money, 3) I know if I am patient and stick it out she will learn to do things our way. The last "annoying" kid I had, who was the same age when she started, had totally settled in and mellowed out just as her parents pulled her to be babysat by her lame uncle.

*sigh* I'm glad I have someplace to get this crap off my chest. I'm stressed and hormonal and not coping very well right now...and as a result, my patience is a LOT lower than it would usually be for this stuff.
sahm2three 05:35 AM 01-11-2011
Watch out saying stuff like that, it makes the trolls come out full force!

Really, I understand! I have decided that if an age group has a ring leader, it is the ring leader we have to zone in on. I have that on Tues thru Fri. A 2 year old ring leader. He is the oldest of the 2's and makes the other kids go bananas! So, I just have to figure out how to deter the ring leader. Sounds simple enough, but we shall see today. Hang in there!
SilverSabre25 05:39 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
Watch out saying stuff like that, it makes the trolls come out full force!

Really, I understand! I have decided that if an age group has a ring leader, it is the ring leader we have to zone in on. I have that on Tues thru Fri. A 2 year old ring leader. He is the oldest of the 2's and makes the other kids go bananas! So, I just have to figure out how to deter the ring leader. Sounds simple enough, but we shall see today. Hang in there!
lol i know, i am a glutton for punishment though, lol. Good luck with your ring leader!
MommyMuffin 05:53 AM 01-11-2011
I am having so much trouble with my 16 month old dcb. He is going to be coming more often now too.

I have a 4 month old who takes a lot of my time so I cannot be constantly taking toys out of dcb mouth, picking up all the toys he throws. I do it when I can.

I wish I could split apart the room with a gate and put things just for the 16 month old to play with, minimize the mess and keep him from ruining the older kids projects and play. I cannot do this obviously but does anyone have any advice on how to handle the difficulties of the 12 - 20 month olds?

They dont listen or understand when I say no throwing toys...they walk right up and eat the older kids snacks...suck on every toy I own...comletely destroy a room in seconds...
Francine 06:00 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
I am having so much trouble with my 16 month old dcb. He is going to be coming more often now too.

I have a 4 month old who takes a lot of my time so I cannot be constantly taking toys out of dcb mouth, picking up all the toys he throws. I do it when I can.

I wish I could split apart the room with a gate and put things just for the 16 month old to play with, minimize the mess and keep him from ruining the older kids projects and play. I cannot do this obviously but does anyone have any advice on how to handle the difficulties of the 12 - 20 month olds?

They dont listen or understand when I say no throwing toys...they walk right up and eat the older kids snacks...suck on every toy I own...comletely destroy a room in seconds...
I have this kid at my house too, EXACTLY!! I would love to hear what others have to offer.
lvt77 06:26 AM 01-11-2011
you need a tall glass of wine and a full body massage...ughh this is why i only do a preschool program now 2.5-5...lol The younger kids are the reason I have a bathroom closet full of hair dye..................
Keri'sKids 06:29 AM 01-11-2011
I hear you on the two yrold ring leaders. After 22 yrs experience I have cut it all down to a minimum. I extended my meal times and for instance I gibe the ring leader one of her favorite toys to ply with during snack then at the end of snack for the "first shift" I then have them go play while I give snack to the "2nd shift" along with a mellow or older kid or 2. Then while they are snacking I set up a play yard (the kind where the walls snap together and if you have more than one set you can make it as big or small as you want) and call it "the creative play center" (I make it an honor to be invited in so they want to go in) and put in toys that are favorites but I rotate them out so they are always happy to finally see them again. i put him in with a friend if he wants and let them play. This keeps them in one confined spot, very happy and we have peace. When the others feel the peace and see who is in for the moment they are happy not joining them. No one fights about it so far, I've done this for over 5 years now. It works great!
MyAngels 06:37 AM 01-11-2011
You could try this: http://www.amazon.com/North-States-S...4759016&sr=8-1

They have extension panels, too, if you wanted to make it bigger.

I have one of these that I've used from time to time when I have a super rowdy toddler, I actually bought it at Petco.
kitkat 06:51 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
*sigh* I'm glad I have someplace to get this crap off my chest. I'm stressed and hormonal and not coping very well right now...and as a result, my patience is a LOT lower than it would usually be for this stuff.
We're here for ya I've noticed with this pregnancy that my patience is down also. I've also given myself a break and I don't care right now if we don't do the activities I had planned, if the kitchen is a disaster, etc. My kiddos are older, so it's different annoyances and stuff. I've also decided there are certain age groups that I don't like and that's life. It's better to know that and do something about it, if you can, than to not be able to admit it. Good for you for realizing and admitting the truth! Not everyone can. Sorry if that was really rambly!

Originally Posted by lvt77:
you need a tall glass of wine and a full body massage...ughh this is why i only do a preschool program now 2.5-5...lol The younger kids are the reason I have a bathroom closet full of hair dye..................
Oh my gosh, YES! Go get a massage! I just had a prenatal one on Saturday and it was HEAVEN! I usually get one when I'm pregnant and they are soooo worth the money. Mine was $25 for 30 minutes. I honestly would have paid to just lay on the table letting my big ol' belly hang out the preggers cut out. If you take time off to re-organize, then try to see if you can squeeze in a massage on that day since you would be kid free!
Greenshadow 08:01 AM 01-11-2011
I am trying to come to an agreement with my dcb who is 14 months old. When he gets extra fussy because I have to leave his sight, which is alot because he's not the only one in my care, I put him in his pnp. For some reason unknown to me, it comforts him when he cant see me. He has his special blanket in there and his little bear and he does fine. When I come back, I take him out and all is right with the world again. Sounds strange but its working for me (and him). Maybe you can try different things like that too and something will work. I know how frustrating it is when they scream and cry and you cant make them stop except to sit on the floor and never leave their side but take some time to really think about what would resolve the problem. The pnp works for me. I just tried putting him in it when I left the room and it worked! If I go into the kitchen sometimes, I pick him up and take him with me and set him down on the floor in the dining room where he can see me. When I leave the kitchen, I scoop him back up and take him back to wherever we're going. It seems to work. The one place he hates is the high chair unless Im standing right there. If I leave to answer the door or something, he screams bloody murder and wont calm down until I come back - even if he can see me, he screams. Its crazy. So maybe just try different things. Something will work.
Tags:14 month old, overwhelmed
Reply Up