Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What is This - Ringworm?
CedarCreek 10:59 AM 07-24-2014
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I know most of the time we need some sort of a form from our doctor that he tells his secretary to do it and he'll sign it. That may be the case here? (regarding the feminine writing)
Yes, I could see that happening. I was thinking about the signature though.
CedarCreek 11:02 AM 07-24-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
There are initials after the signature. His nurse did this. Still unacceptable.
Yeah, if the nurse is the only one who filled it out and signed it how do you even know she was seen by the doctor?

Mom could have just called and told the nurse she had a eczema flare and needed a note saying she wasn't contagious so the nurse quickly wrote her one without her being examined.
nannyde 11:03 AM 07-24-2014
I would not accept this note. This doesn't give a diagnosis. Did you ask for a return to daycare note?

If it is eczema why the band aid
nannyde 11:05 AM 07-24-2014
Why does the note say seen on 21 but return 23?

If it wasn't contagious it should have been a return that day.
coolconfidentme 11:15 AM 07-24-2014
I called the doctor's office & they said the parents would have to request a new note with a diagnosis. I emailed licensing & waiting for a reply.

ps..., Nobody else here has any signs of this type of rash.
sweet_cakes 11:18 AM 07-24-2014
The way the dates are written on the form and in the comment section of the form do not match up.

Dates written on form are all 07-day-2014

Date written in comment section is 7-23-14

If a doc writes all other dates 07-day-2014, then why write it differently in the comment section?
coolconfidentme 11:19 AM 07-24-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:

I have no idea. I sent an email to licensing with a pic of the rash & note.
KiddieCahoots 11:22 AM 07-24-2014
Yay, welllllll........
Aren't we suppose to notify other daycare parents if there is something contagious in the childcare that we've all been exposed to?
(Sarcasm alert ) What?! Are we suppose to make the diagnoses ourselves?
coolconfidentme 11:25 AM 07-24-2014
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
Yay, welllllll........
Aren't we suppose to notify other daycare parents if there is something contagious in the childcare that we've all been exposed to?
(Sarcasm alert ) What?! Are we suppose to make the diagnoses ourselves?
That is what we have to do in our state. I notified as possible ringworm just in case.
hope 11:29 AM 07-24-2014
Is ring worm treated with over the counter meds? I always thought that was something to be prescribed.
Either way, if dcm truly believes that that ring is only eczema than why would she agree to use meds for ring worm on her kid? None of this adds up. If any other child in your group gets "an eczema ring" you need to term immediately.
KiddieCahoots 11:35 AM 07-24-2014
Originally Posted by hope:
"an eczema ring".
This will now be my new terminology for ring worm, lol!
NeedaVaca 11:36 AM 07-24-2014
Originally Posted by sweet_cakes:
The way the dates are written on the form and in the comment section of the form do not match up.

Dates written on form are all 07-day-2014

Date written in comment section is 7-23-14

If a doc writes all other dates 07-day-2014, then why write it differently in the comment section?
I noticed that too, and the circle in place of a dot over the "i" in the comment section...can't see a Dr's office doing that? Does DCM do the circle?

The whole thing is just ridiculous, ringworm is only contagious for a couple of days once you start treatment! It's the possible lying/forgery that would bother me. I would want to know and term if that is what happened because I wouldn't be able to trust DCM anymore...
lovemykidstoo 11:37 AM 07-24-2014

Not that I'm diagnosing, but after 2 days of treatment, ringworm is no longer contagious. Maybe that's it?
lovemykidstoo 11:40 AM 07-24-2014
So do you think that the dcm never went to the doctor? or that she added the not contagious part? Is dcg with you now?
lovemykidstoo 11:42 AM 07-24-2014
Originally Posted by hope:
Is ring worm treated with over the counter meds? I always thought that was something to be prescribed.
Either way, if dcm truly believes that that ring is only eczema than why would she agree to use meds for ring worm on her kid? None of this adds up. If any other child in your group gets "an eczema ring" you need to term immediately.
You can get ringworm cream at any pharmacy otc. Lotrimin makes one and there are others.
lovemykidstoo 11:47 AM 07-24-2014
I would not accept this note. This doesn't give a diagnosis. Did you ask for a return to daycare note?

If it is eczema why the band aid
I am seriously not defending the dcm. just trying to figure it out all, because it is a mystery, but the bandaid was put on by the OP, not the parent. Wise choice until you figure out what it is.
CraftyMom 04:23 PM 07-24-2014
I realize we are all analyzing now lol but....the "is not contagious" part is not a match to the first part of the sentence. Someone "doctored" that. Honestly, it looks like my 13 year old daughter's handwriting. Very thought out and deliberate, like they were concentrating on making nice neat letters. You can tell it was written slowly. A dr or even a nurse would have been writing quicker, as they are busy and are not thinking about forming perfect letters. Just my observation Oh and the circle above the "i" in is...13 year old girl all day. The entire second line of the sentence is larger than the first line.

Also, people generally make cursive m's and n's the same way. The n's in "not" and "contagious" do not at all match the m's in the first part of the sentence.

Here's my conclusion. DCG has ringworm, needs to be on meds for 2 days before not contagious, thus the note really said "Pt may return to daycare on 7-23-14." Mom or someone else added in the "is not contagious" at the end, not realizing she made the sentence no longer make sense. Why would she have to stay home for 2 days if she's not contagious???

Nice try mom!

I may be completely wrong of course
coolconfidentme 04:32 PM 07-24-2014
I told DCM DCG is excluded from DC until the state licensing can approve the note or I get one with a diagnosis.
lovemykidstoo 04:36 PM 07-24-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
I told DCM DCG is excluded from DC until the state licensing can approve the note or I get one with a diagnosis.
That's a good idea, so you can make sure. How did she take it?When is her daughter supposed to be there?
coolconfidentme 05:02 PM 07-24-2014
That's a good idea, so you can make sure. How did she take it?When is her daughter supposed to be there?
DCM asked what can she do. I said, "Get a note with the diagnosis or wait it out the state. She will be here Tuesday for my annual inspection." She just said ok.
craftymissbeth 07:18 PM 07-24-2014
Do doctors offices keep copies of these in a persons medical file? I'm just curious because I'd want to ask them so badly if their copy had the "she is not contagious" part written in.
coolconfidentme 05:05 AM 07-25-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
Do doctors offices keep copies of these in a persons medical file? I'm just curious because I'd want to ask them so badly if their copy had the "she is not contagious" part written in.
I called them & mentioned it stated she wasn't not contagious without a diagnosis. The doctor's office said they cannot give me info, only the patient can or patient's parent in this case.
Crazy8 05:26 AM 07-25-2014
dr. office SHOULDN'T tell you anything, I'd be pretty concerned if they did. Our dr office has a return to school form as well but it does say the child was seen in our office for ______ so it would give the diagnosis before going on to say when they can return. I also require dr. stamps on all medical forms - not just signatures.

You told mom the form needs to say she is not contagious so when dr. note didn't say that she added it.

Having 2 boys who wrestle I have seen ringworm a few times, and yes, your pic looks like a classic case. Most do say its no longer contagious 24-48 hrs after treatment begins. So if treatment began on 21st its logical the dr. would say she can return to daycare the 23rd. Is the mom flat out saying it is NOT ringworm?? What point does that serve? Just admit its ringworm and the dr. says its no longer contagious not that it was never contagious???
lovemykidstoo 05:46 AM 07-25-2014
I called them & mentioned it stated she wasn't not contagious without a diagnosis. The doctor's office said they cannot give me info, only the patient can or patient's parent in this case.
Most definately they cannot tell you one single thing. It's HIPA laws. They could get sued bigtime.
KidGrind 06:14 AM 07-25-2014
It's an actual form from them. Should I send it to licensing along with the pic or ask the doctor if ringworm was diagnosed?

(I cropped the note)
Fake!

It’s why I state in my policies re-admittance is up to the discretion of the provider.
nannyde 06:54 AM 07-25-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
dr. office SHOULDN'T tell you anything, I'd be pretty concerned if they did. Our dr office has a return to school form as well but it does say the child was seen in our office for ______ so it would give the diagnosis before going on to say when they can return. I also require dr. stamps on all medical forms - not just signatures.

You told mom the form needs to say she is not contagious so when dr. note didn't say that she added it.

Having 2 boys who wrestle I have seen ringworm a few times, and yes, your pic looks like a classic case. Most do say its no longer contagious 24-48 hrs after treatment begins. So if treatment began on 21st its logical the dr. would say she can return to daycare the 23rd. Is the mom flat out saying it is NOT ringworm?? What point does that serve? Just admit its ringworm and the dr. says its no longer contagious not that it was never contagious???
She doesn't want the provider to be right. She said eczema and she was challenged with ringworm. She doesn't want the end game to be ringworm because she wants to stay with the provider made a big deal about nothing. The only thing she can't get past is the two day exclusion.
lovemykidstoo 11:27 AM 08-11-2014
Was curious as to what the outcome of this situation was.
daycare 06:36 AM 09-25-2014
Me too. I'm dealing with this now
coolconfidentme 03:43 AM 09-26-2014
The state’s Chief Nurse Consultant replied:
Physician only needs to release and note not contagious. This is what was done. The note shows that the guardian received treatment/prevention instruction. Giving a diagnosis to persons unknown to the physician could be considered by some a HIPAA violation. The photo shows an area that fits the description of Ringworm. However, lesions may continue to look this way even after treatment has begun for a while. The lesion is not on hands, arms or an area that could be easily touched by someone else; and according to the note is under treatment. The childcare should not exclude.

I replied:
Concerning the thread below, how do I legally notify other parents their child(ren) may have been exposed to something contagious if I do not know what the diagnosis is? I'm also unclear of what HIPPA violation is here. The note was given directly to the parent, not to me.

The state’s Chief Nurse Consultant replied:
Some medical providers feel sometimes that specifically naming a diagnosis is more information than necessary when they give a “safe to return to school” note to parents. HIPAA leaves it up to the provider to disclose only what they deem is the necessary information.

Just post a notice stating that a possible case of ringworm has been identified in a particular classroom. Ringworm is a fungal infection that is spread by direct contact with a lesion. It can be transmitted from person to person and also from pets. Treatment recommendations include the use of over the counter anti fungal creams. It is not necessary for children to be excluded from school.

That should do it.
coolconfidentme 03:49 AM 09-26-2014
She stated twice, It is not necessary for children to be excluded!

Fast forward..., I ended up terming DCK. Parent brought her in & she threw up within 1/2 hour. It was pink & smelled like Pepto-Bismol. DCP tried to say it was strawberry milk. Loved the girl, couldn't deal with or trust the parents.
Tags:ringworm
1 2
Reply Up