Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Closing
BrendaJ 07:44 AM 06-15-2011
I am new here and I have been doing home daycare for over 11 years, but due to some medical issues, I have decided to close my daycare at the end of June 2011. The parents were really great about it, knowing what struggles I have been through with my health this year, so I was lucky. My question is should I get the parents and children a good-bye gift. If so, does anyone have any ideas. Money is tight, since I do not have a job to go to just yet, so some ideas would be helpful.
dEHmom 07:50 AM 06-15-2011
what i did is printed a poem that one of the ladies had posted on here once, the one about forever in my heart. I then framed it and gave it to them. on the back with a metallic marker wrote their name, date, and my daycare name.

i think i paid less than a $1 for the frames (because I bought a huge like 20 pack at walmart for 16 bux.
cheerfuldom 08:16 AM 06-15-2011
I don't think you have to feel that you should spend more money just because the daycare is closing. Why would the parents even get a gift? I can understand something small for the kids and maybe a party or special activity that last day.
SandeeAR 08:47 AM 06-15-2011
Have a friend come in and take a picture of you with the group and then a separate pic of you and each child alone. This is something they can look back on and remember your face (they are young and do forget). If you have several pics of the kids, use a cheap photo book. Give each child several pics of daycare times, along with the special group shot and shot with you. If it is in a book, they can carry it and look at it. A frame would no be hands on for the little guys.
MN Day Mom 06:35 PM 06-15-2011
I usually buy a book for kids when they are leaving. I write a special little message in the book and tape a picture of me and the child together and one of the whole group inside the cover.
Auntie 06:39 PM 06-15-2011
I think a photo of you with the kids would be a wonderful idea.
Cat Herder 06:17 AM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by MN Day Mom:
I usually buy a book for kids when they are leaving. I write a special little message in the book and tape a picture of me and the child together and one of the whole group inside the cover.
Same here...

I like to give "Oh, The Places you will go" and write a little bit about who they are right now as kids, signed and dated.

It will be priceless in 30 years.

Now that is $10 a head so I found a idea online you could have them do for much less. Maybe freehand them and add a handprint/photo?
Attached: dr suess pic.jpg (40.6 KB) 
BrendaJ 07:26 AM 06-16-2011
Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. When a child leaves me, I usually do a book and a small stuffed animal for them to remember me by, but with six children leaving at once it would be a little expensive to do, so all your thought are appreciated.
dEHmom 09:51 AM 06-16-2011
you just made me think of something....

as a parent I HATE STUFFED ANIMALS! I can't even comprehend just how many friggin stuffies we've thrown away, donated and given away. some you can wash, some you cannot. most hospitals and donation places won't even take stuffed animals because no one wants someone elses stuffies. and they always just lay around here and there.

I think if you really want something they can cherish forever, i'd avoid stuffed animals. I'm not saying everyone doesn't appreciate stuffed animals. But i think eventually they end up in a closet, under the bed, donated, or trashed.
Tags:closing daycare, goodbye, last day party, parting gift
Reply Up