Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is This A 2 Week Notice?
Is it bedtime yet? 09:47 PM 03-03-2014
I have a family that has been with me for 3+years that just told me this morning (the 3rd)that the 14th would be their last day. They pay me monthly and the next payment is due this Friday. I was expecting a check for 4 weeks, but now I assume it will just be for 1 week. I am not surprised, but saddened that they waited until the last minuet to tell me. Shouldn't they have told me last Friday?
daycare 09:58 PM 03-03-2014
What does your contract say? If it's two weeks then they owe you for the full 2 weeks and can choose to attend or not.
daycarediva 03:14 AM 03-04-2014
Yup, all goes back to contract. If your contract says two weeks, give them an invoice for the two weeks. If it says four, they are required to pay the four weeks.

If it says nothing, lesson learned and add it in NOW and update all existing clients with a new contract!
cheerfuldom 05:56 AM 03-04-2014
I think that if you require two weeks notice, that is what they gave you. You are being paid this week and next week and know that they will not be returning. If you want longer notice, or notice on a Friday for the full 14 days than you need to specify that in the contract.
Blackcat31 06:26 AM 03-04-2014
Originally Posted by Is it bedtime yet?:
I have a family that has been with me for 3+years that just told me this morning (the 3rd)that the 14th would be their last day. They pay me monthly and the next payment is due this Friday. I was expecting a check for 4 weeks, but now I assume it will just be for 1 week. I am not surprised, but saddened that they waited until the last minuet to tell me. Shouldn't they have told me last Friday?
I require notice in WRITING and WITH payment for the last days.

I require a minimum of two weeks notice, more if there is more than one child in the family that will be leaving.

What does you contract say about withdrawing from care? Do you require written notice for any specific amount of time?
SilverSabre25 06:38 AM 03-04-2014
Honestly I would look at changing your notice policy in the future. If they pay monthly, they ought to give you at LEAST a month's notice.
Is it bedtime yet? 07:31 AM 03-04-2014
My policy states 2 weeks written notice.
SilverSabre25 08:19 AM 03-04-2014
I would say, annoying as it is, that it counts as a two week notice. The two weeks would be up on the 16th anyway.
butterfly 08:24 AM 03-04-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I would say, annoying as it is, that it counts as a two week notice. The two weeks would be up on the 16th anyway.
I agree.
TwinKristi 10:40 AM 03-04-2014
I would tell mom at pickup today that you need to have her 2wks notice in writing and payment through X date. You have to follow your contract!!
Is it bedtime yet? 07:30 PM 03-04-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
It just saddens me that after watching 2 of their kids for 3 years that they didn't even give me quite a full 2 weeks. I am sure that they have known for at least 2-3 weeks before they told me. We have always been on good terms with each other. I really thought they wouldn't have waited until the last second and would have given me more time to find a replacement.
Is it bedtime yet? 07:34 PM 03-04-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
I would tell mom at pickup today that you need to have her 2wks notice in writing and payment through X date. You have to follow your contract!!
She did give it to me in writing. She was already paid up through this Friday when she will owe me her last check.
bloominggenius 08:20 PM 03-04-2014
First of all, you should be charging a deposit for each new family and placing it in an account used for notice. Then your contract needs to include six elements.
1. You need to have the amount of notice required. I require 3 full weeks
2. How it is to be given. I have to have it in writing by Friday for it to begin the following Monday. If they drop it off on Monday it does not start until the following Monday. They can email it, but it has to be time stamped sent prior to 5 PM on Friday to be considered timely.
3. You have to specify when it cannot be given. With the parents who pay monthly I do not budget to spend it until I have it. I plan as if everyone is weekly and then as parents pay ahead I send it to bills. I do not allow notice to be given while I am on vacation, while they are on vacation, or during maternity leave. If notice is given during these times, it is considered delivered as of the first day returning to care. So if they serve me notice while on vacation it does not start until they return.
4. You must specify that fees for the last two weeks are due and payable up front when notice is given, and those fees are payable whether or not they choose for their child to attend for those weeks. If you have charged a deposit up front it can be used from the savings account and then there is no debate about paying. With my clients when they give notice they pay for the following week, and I pull their deposit for the other two. They usually leave after the next week and I get 2 week's of deposit without them using care.
5. Your contract needs to include any exceptions to notice. I allow new families a 2 week probationary period where they can terminate during the first two weeks for any reason without notice. After 2 weeks in care notice is required no matter what the reason for termination is.
6. Your final paragraph concerning notice should read as follows: "There are no exceptions to the above notice policies, they are absolute no matter why care is terminated. If notice is not given, or if fees are not paid in full within 10 days of the last day in care, the client agrees to be responsible for any and all fees incurred to collect this debt, including collection costs, court fees, time off for court and attorney's fees, up to $2000.00."
These are the guidelines in my parent handbook. I hope this helps you with how to handle the issue. The deposit is the best way to go, even if you let them pay it in 3-4 installments when they start. The hard part is not touching it.
Blackcat31 07:07 AM 03-05-2014
It just saddens me that after watching 2 of their kids for 3 years that they didn't even give me quite a full 2 weeks. I am sure that they have known for at least 2-3 weeks before they told me. We have always been on good terms with each other. I really thought they wouldn't have waited until the last second and would have given me more time to find a replacement.
It is hard and I understand why you feel hurt or sad but the truth is, the parent is doing exactly what you asked of them.

They are submitting a 2 week written notice. If you want families to give you more time, YOU need to require a longer notice period.

Even if you are on good terms with them, I can see why they waited to tell you until the last possible day....it is usually pretty uncomfortable interacting those last few weeks and they may have thought you might not be happy about receiving notice so really if I were in their shoes, I would probably have done the same thing.

You also have to remember that although you are attached to this family, families often don't bond with or attach to you in the same way.

This usually becomes evident when the care agreement is ending.

I am sorry you are losing a family and I hope you are able to fill your space quickly.
TwinKristi 07:15 AM 03-05-2014
She did give it to me in writing. She was already paid up through this Friday when she will owe me her last check.
Sorry- must have missed the in-writing part... Either way I think it's rude to not pay you the extra upon giving notice.
KDC 07:39 AM 03-05-2014
I completely see where you are coming from. This is the hard part of the job for me. I get emotionally invested in these children. I hug them, read them books, know their favorite color, know what comforts them, kiss their boo boo's. I understand the parents choose/have to work, but the kids should feel safe and loved, so I feel it's my job NOT to keep a distance. It's just who I am. I've had children for three years, most of my kids I've had for that time I would be REALLY upset if they dropped a bomb is passing like that. I would think "hey, I've poured my heart and soul into your child, you at least owe me something more than "Yo, the 14th's the last day, peace out". They may be feeling bad, not an excuse, but it might be hard for them too?

Financially it stinks, and finding/learning about/extra work with a new child is initially a pain in the tush. It is the job we signed up for, and we can and do suck it up... just doesn't make it any less frustrating. So I feel for you!

Good luck, and hopefully they give you a token of appreciation on the last day. Cards are my favorite.
TheGoodLife 08:01 AM 03-05-2014
If you're looking at the money aspect (since you can't change the fact that they're leaving ) I would let her know that 2 weeks, or 14 days, would put her at the week of the 17th since she gave notice the 3rd. Explain she can bring her that week or pay it without attendance. That is IF you are worried about that last week of a paycheck AND you do weekly and not daily rates. I myself might consider just taking what she gave, but it would depend on my mood and how I felt about DCF
Tags:notice, termination fee, termination form
Reply Up