Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Call Me AFTER He Gets Everyone Sick!!
MsMe 05:41 AM 03-30-2011
This has always bothered me. A parent comes in in the morning very visably ill. "Oh, I have this terrible virus/flu/fever/ect. I am going home to rest." All I hear is "Good Morning! Here are my kids that prob have what I have but don't have any symptoms yet so call me when they get sick!! The parents leave the kids stays and it never fails the illness spreads or at the very least their kids get sick.

I have never found a health policy that requires parents to keep kids home when they are home sick themselves so I don't think I can require it, but doesnt it just make sence that you wouldn't go around exposing everyone you know? Esp when it is usualy that parent who are first to call when their kids get sick and ask who else is sick at Daycare. I love to tell them "We havent had anyone sick here in weeks you must have picked it up soemwhere else!!"

Do any of you ask kids to stay home with sick parents? require siblings stay home if one is ill and at home with Mom/Dad? or am I being too harsh?
laundrymom 06:02 AM 03-30-2011
Make your own policy. It is your business. You aren't a government ran public store. You are a small private business owner and if you require purple shoes on tuesdays and parents sign up knowing that then go for it. I require the ss numbers of my parents. They either agree or find somewhere different.
squareone 06:04 AM 03-30-2011
I understand your concerns. Depending on the illness, I may require the sibling of a sick child to stay home too. As much as I would like to, I wouldn't require a sick parent to keep their well kids home.

There were one or two occasion that I sent my well kids to daycare when I was too sick to go to work. I knew that I couldn't give them proper care in the conditon that I was in, nor would I be able to get any rest with my kids there. So, I sent them to daycare where I knew they would be properly spervised. I was also thinking that since my kids were not sick, I was reducing their exposure to my germs by sending them to daycare.
cheerfuldom 06:05 AM 03-30-2011
I think you are being too harsh. If I had my kids in daycare, I would send them if I was sick just to get some rest. Some people have a half dozen siblings and adults in the house and they can't afford to keep their kid out of daycare every time someone else is sick. The only time I would ask their kid be kept home is if they got something extremely awful and contagious....not like the flu and colds and stuff.
Meyou 06:15 AM 03-30-2011
I ask that parents keep a sibling home ONLY if they have something highly contagious that spreads like wildfire like stomach flu or pink eye that will either run its course quickly or no longer be contagious with treatment after a day or so. I've never had a parent complain about this policy since in other circumstances it's their child I'm protecting from germs.

I never ask them to keep the kids home if the parent is ill. An adult can wash their hands and take other measures to prevent it spreading to the kids so I give them the benefit of the doubt and give them a day to rest.
Lilbutterflie 07:38 AM 03-30-2011
I don't require kids to stay home when siblings or parents are sick. They are paying for Well Child Care. If they have a well child, I figure they should be able to utilize what they are paying for.
boysx5 07:45 AM 03-30-2011
its a tough part of this business. I had a mom who had strep last week and yes you guess it one of my son's got it now her baby has it and who knows who else will get it. If I told every parent that came her sick or who had sibling that was sick to stay home I would never have kids
Live and Learn 08:01 AM 03-30-2011
My sick policy is exactly the same as the public school's sick policy.

It would be impossible to run a school or daycare if every time a household member got sick all family members were required to stay home. ...... -even-if-they-are-symptom-free-themselves.

Ridiculous in my opinion.

Having said that...... I strictly enforce my sick policy. (Where are the snot, puke, diah, fever icons when I need them?!)

I have a lot of kids of my own and there are many times when one kid or my hubby gets sick and nobody else does. I rarely get sick myself.....too mean I guess!
tulip1969 08:19 AM 03-30-2011
Do you have children in school? If so, do you keep them home when you yourself are sick and they are well? In my opinion the same holds true for daycare as for school. If I am paying for my kid to attend daycare and I am sick you bet I would send them in so I can get some rest. Sorry but that is my opinion.
BentleysBands 08:44 AM 03-30-2011
I know how u feel! And then when we get sick parents complain cuz we close...but I do have in my policy that if one child stayed home then the others do as Well.never had a problem with it cuz my parents live so far they would rather not drive lol
daycare 09:08 AM 03-30-2011
I know that we all wish we could say if someone in your house is sick, please leave your children home. But then that would sound more like. Please leave your children home so they can get sick too. lol

Everyone has different immune systems. My Daughter is always getting sick, but my boys hardly ever get sick. Same with hubby and I . He always gets sick and I never do, even though he kisses me almost daily.

I think it would only be necessary to exclude if it were something highly contagious like the others said... like chickenpox, pink eye, and etc.

But we all know that usually when someone is sick in a house hold, it's only time before everyone else will also be sick.
Tags:bad parent, contagious, sick policy
Reply Up