Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is This Too Short Notice?
familyschoolcare 04:15 PM 03-13-2012
Before, I knew how much DCB weighed I casually mention at pick up if DCB was going to be in a booster seat car seat for kindergarten next year. The

girlfriend told me no I mean he weighs enough but we want him in a three point harness because he is safer. This got me thinking and I checked the

car seat, Parents supply for me to use as per the contract and transportation consent form. The car seat they gave me to use says only to

be used on children weighing 40 pounds or less, DCB weighs 42 pounds. I plan on saying something at pick up today DCB does not come on Wednesdays or

Thursdays, I was thinking of telling the parents that this issue must be resolved before I can pick DCB up from school on Friday. The girlfriend works

in the area and is near-ish to my house on Wednesday and Thursdays so she could bring me a car seat. Is this too short notice?
JenNJ 04:24 PM 03-13-2012
No carseat, no care. End of story. It isn't about notice, it is about safety.
wdmmom 04:27 PM 03-13-2012
Absolutely not! Its unsafe and the liabilityand dangers are far too great! She could get a ticket if she got pulled over!
familyschoolcare 04:36 PM 03-13-2012
That was my first thought also. A big safety issue. Anyway I am sending my daughter to get the carseat in question out of the van so I can show who

ever picks up, at pick up that it says only to be used on children weiging 40 pounds or less, and make her (usually the girlfriend picks up) take the car seat with her.
daycare 04:42 PM 03-13-2012
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...6a5p8ZiA&pli=1

please read this
familyschoolcare 04:52 PM 03-13-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...6a5p8ZiA&pli=1

please read this
I can it will not let me
daycare 04:59 PM 03-13-2012
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
I can it will not let me
how about this one??

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...G_peIlz_QYcoDQ
daycare 05:00 PM 03-13-2012
On Tuesday, October 4, 2011, Governor Brown signed into law Senate Bill 929 which will
require that children riding in any vehicle must be restrained in the back seat in a child
restraint until their 8th birthday. The Livermore Police Department was instrumental in
getting this new law passed. Personnel with expertise in child safety restraint systems
testified before the Senate and Congress at the State Capitol. This new law brings
California up to similar standards that have been in place in at least 30 other states.

Studies have shown that children are far more likely to be restrained in age-appropriate
restraints, such as car seats and booster seats, if State law requires booster seat use for
their age group. Many people rely on state laws to guide them in determining how to best
protect their children.

California’s current child restraint law only protects children that are under the age of 6 or
weigh less than 60 lbs. After January 1, 2012, those vulnerable 6 and 7 year olds will be
required to stay in their car seats or booster seats until they reach the age of 8 years old.

For the complete law that will take effect January 1, 2012, follow the below link.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/..._chaptered.pdf

After January 1, 2012, a violation of this section will be punishable by a fine of nearly
$500.00 and one point on your driver’s record.

The number one killer of children in the United States is vehicle collisions. The Livermore
Police Department wants to help parents best protect their children while they are traveling
in vehicles. Deaths are just the tip of the iceberg. Young children are too small for seat
belts that are made to fit adults, and are subject to severe injury or death if improperly
restrained.

Restraining a child with only a seat belt is putting them at risk for serious injury. If the belt is
across the child's waist instead of across the hips or thigh bones, they could suffer damage
to internal organs and/or a spinal cord injury if involved in a collision.

Booster seats are 60 percent safer than seat belts alone. A booster seat is a child restraint
familyschoolcare 05:06 PM 03-13-2012
On Tuesday, October 4, 2011, Governor Brown signed into law Senate Bill 929 which will
require that children riding in any vehicle must be restrained in the back seat in a child
restraint until their 8th birthday. The Livermore Police Department was instrumental in
getting this new law passed. Personnel with expertise in child safety restraint systems
testified before the Senate and Congress at the State Capitol. This new law brings
California up to similar standards that have been in place in at least 30 other states.

Studies have shown that children are far more likely to be restrained in age-appropriate
restraints, such as car seats and booster seats, if State law requires booster seat use for
their age group. Many people rely on state laws to guide them in determining how to best
protect their children.

California’s current child restraint law only protects children that are under the age of 6 or
weigh less than 60 lbs. After January 1, 2012, those vulnerable 6 and 7 year olds will be
required to stay in their car seats or booster seats until they reach the age of 8 years old.

For the complete law that will take effect January 1, 2012, follow the below link.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/..._chaptered.pdf

After January 1, 2012, a violation of this section will be punishable by a fine of nearly
$500.00 and one point on your driver’s record.

The number one killer of children in the United States is vehicle collisions. The Livermore
Police Department wants to help parents best protect their children while they are traveling
in vehicles. Deaths are just the tip of the iceberg. Young children are too small for seat
belts that are made to fit adults, and are subject to severe injury or death if improperly
restrained.

Restraining a child with only a seat belt is putting them at risk for serious injury. If the belt is
across the child's waist instead of across the hips or thigh bones, they could suffer damage
to internal organs and/or a spinal cord injury if involved in a collision.

Booster seats are 60 percent safer than seat belts alone. A booster seat is a child restraint
So what was I supposedd to take away from that?
daycare 05:08 PM 03-13-2012
NEW LAW PROTECTS CALIFORNIA KIDS!

Effective January 1, 2012

Children under age 8 must be properly buckled into a car seat or booster in the back seat.

Children age 8 or older may use the vehicle seat belt if it fits properly with the lap belt
low on the hips, touching the upper thighs, and the shoulder belt crossing the center of the
chest. If children are not tall enough for proper belt fit, they must ride in a booster or car
seat.

Everyone in the car must be properly buckled up. For each child under 16 who is not
properly secured, parents (if in the car) or drivers can be fined more than $475 and get a
point on their driving records.

NO

NO

Most kids need to ride in a booster seat until age 10 to 12.

If your child isn’t using a booster, try the simple test below the next time you ride together in
the car.* You may find that your child is not yet ready to use a safety belt without a booster.

The 5-Step Test

1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?
3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the neck and arm?
4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?
5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

If you answered "no" to any of these questions, your child needs a booster seat to make both
the shoulder belt and the lap belt fit right for the best crash protection. Your child will be
more comfortable, too.

For best protection, all children should ride in the back seat. It's twice as safe as the front!

For a list of programs with low-cost car seats, call your local health department at __________________________

For other information: SafetyBeltSafe U.S.A. www.carseat.org 800-745-SAFE (English) 800-747-SANO (Spanish)

Funding for this program was provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety through the National
Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

California Buckle-Up Laws for Parents

Car crashes are the #1 preventable cause of death of children and young adults, as well as a major cause of permanent
brain damage, epilepsy, and spinal cord injuries. A sudden stop at 30 miles per hour could cause the same crushing force
on your child's brain and body as a fall from a three-story building. Fortunately, by buckling up children, we can prevent
most of these deaths and serious injuries.

(V.C. 27360) All children under age 8 must be properly buckled into a safety seat or booster in the back seat.
Exceptions: A child who weighs more than 40 pounds and is riding in a car without lap and shoulder belts in
the back seat may wear just a lap belt. A child under age 8 who is at least 4'9" may wear a safety belt if it fits
properly. Children under age 8 may ride in the front if there is no forward-facing rear seat in the vehicle, the
child restraint cannot be properly installed in rear seat, all rear seats are occupied by other children age 7
or under, or for medical reasons. A child in a rear-facing safety seat may not ride in front if there is an active
passenger air bag.

(V.C. 27360.5) Children age 8 or over may use the vehicle safety belt if it fits properly with the lap belt low on the
hips, touching the upper thighs, and the shoulder belt crossing the center of the chest. If children are not tall enough for
proper belt fit, they must ride in a booster or safety seat.

Consequences for failing to properly buckle up any child under 16
• The parent gets the ticket if a child under 16 is not properly buckled up.
• The driver gets the ticket if the parent is not in the car.
• The cost of a ticket could be more than $475* per child; the fine for a second offense could be
more than $1000* per child. One point is added to the driving record, which could raise insurance
rates. Part of the fine money goes to a special fund to help pay for local safety seat education and
distribution programs.

Related Information
• Older babies and toddlers should ride in a rear-facing convertible seat until they are at least two years
old. Check manufacturer’s instructions for the maximum weight (30-45 lbs.).
• Children should ride in a safety seat with a harness as long as possible (40-90 lbs., depending on the
model).
• Children who have outgrown their safety seats need a booster for proper belt fit (usually until age 10-
12). To find out if a child is tall enough to wear just a safety belt, try the 5-Step Test, available from
SafetyBeltSafe U.S.A.
• Auto insurers are required to replace safety seats that were in use or damaged during a crash.

(V.C. 27315) Drivers and passengers 16 or older must be properly buckled up in vehicle safety belts.
The driver may be ticketed for not wearing a belt and for each unbuckled passenger. Fine is more than $140*
per person.
Passengers also may be ticketed for not being properly buckled up.

(V.C. 23116) Pickup truck passengers also must be properly buckled up.
The driver may be ticketed for letting passengers ride in the back of a pickup truck.
Passengers also may be ticketed for not being properly buckled up.
The cost of a ticket could be more than $200* for each unbuckled adult. No exemption for camper shells.

Other Laws to Protect Children
• Children left in vehicle (V.C. 15620): A child 6 years old or less may not be left alone in a vehicle if the health or
safety of the child is at risk, the engine is running, or the keys are in the ignition. The child must be supervised by
someone at least age 12. The cost of a ticket could be more than $475.*
• Smoking in a vehicle [Health and Safety Code 118948(a)] is prohibited if a child under 18 is present. The cost of
a ticket could be more than $475.*
• Helmets (V.C. 21212, 21204, 27803): Children under age 18 who are skating or riding on a bicycle, scooter, or

skateboard must wear a properly fitted and fastened helmet. All drivers and passengers on a motorcycle must
wear a helmet that meets federal standards, fits correctly, and has the proper label.

* Fine amounts shown include penalty assessments

SafetyBeltSafe U.S.A. P.O. Box 553, Altadena, CA 91003 www.carseat.org (800) 745-

SAFE

This document was developed by SafetyBeltSafe U.S.A. and may be reproduced in its entirety.
Important: Call to check if there is a more recent version before reproducing this document.
#630CA Pg. 2, 12-12-11
daycare 05:09 PM 03-13-2012
sorry I thought you said that the parents dont want him in a car seat and I was providing this for you so you could show them that he has to be in one still.

Sorry a booster seat, not a car seat..
familyschoolcare 05:15 PM 03-13-2012
Daycare

Thank you, for the information. The thing that confused me was you did not tell me anything I did not already know and the sistuation is not wiether or

not DCB should be in a car seat just which kind. DCB is in a "big" car seat the kind that inside the seat has a three point harness and the lablel on the seat

say "useonly with children who weigh between 20 and 40 pounds and whose height ..." (brought the seat in the house and double checked the exact

wording) and the child was more than 40 pounds. Therefore, I will make the parents supply me with a different car seat.
daycare 05:20 PM 03-13-2012
Daycare

Thank you, for the information. The thing that confused me was you did not tell me anything I did not already know and the sistuation is not wiether or

not DCB should be in a car seat just which kind. DCB is in a "big" car seat the kind that inside the seat has a three point harness and the lablel on the seat

say "useonly with children who weigh between 20 and 40 pounds and whose height ..." (brought the seat in the house and double checked the exact

wording) and the child was more than 40 pounds. Therefore, I will make the parents supply me with a different car seat.
lol...Sorry... I need to learn to understand English writing better....Hey I tired..lol
familyschoolcare 05:25 PM 03-13-2012
lol...Sorry... I need to learn to understand English writing better....Hey I tired..lol
It is great information.

Maye you could start a new post..

Up date on ca seat law ...

maybe not everyone is aware of the new law...

I new of it but was not totoaly sure on the guidlines. Now I will be able to update my transportation concet from accordingly.
daycare 05:27 PM 03-13-2012
It is great information.

Maye you could start a new post..

Up date on ca seat law ...

maybe not everyone is aware of the new law...

I new of it but was not totoaly sure on the guidlines. Now I will be able to update my transportation concet from accordingly.
lol.... I am never really sure how to respond to a lot of the post.. I think my thinking is way out in left field....lol I am very simple minded, yet complex at the same time....
familyschoolcare 05:28 PM 03-13-2012
lol.... I am never really sure how to respond to a lot of the post.. I think my thinking is way out in left field....lol I am very simple minded, yet complex at the same time....
You must be very bright.

Two of my children think that way and they are both very bright.
daycare 05:35 PM 03-13-2012
You must be very bright.

Two of my children think that way and they are both very bright.
lol no I wouldnt say that. I think that it just takes me longer to comprehend what I am reading and fully understand it. I am this way in Arabic too....lol
familyschoolcare 05:44 PM 03-13-2012
lol no I wouldnt say that. I think that it just takes me longer to comprehend what I am reading and fully understand it. I am this way in Arabic too....lol
Regaurdless, to all of that.

Thank yu again for the information. I was able to honestly say that new carseat information was sent to me today. Any way, this made the conversation less conferntational. It whent well. She took the car seat with her.
daycare 05:51 PM 03-13-2012
Regaurdless, to all of that.

Thank yu again for the information. I was able to honestly say that new carseat information was sent to me today. Any way, this made the conversation less conferntational. It whent well. She took the car seat with her.
I forgot where you are in CA. I am SF Bay AREA, I get a million emails sent to me everyday about new laws, recalls, health and safety issues and etc.
Tags:notice
Reply Up