Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Leaving Stuff at Your House
cara041083 06:08 AM 11-25-2014
What is your policy regarding parents leaving stuff at your house? I have a mom that leaves 2 car seats out by my driveway everyday for her husband to pick up, well today she showed up with bags because they are going with grandma tonight. Its just getting to be to much stuff everywhere and I don't want to be responsible for the car seats and stuff.
Crazy8 06:14 AM 11-25-2014
I don't have a policy on it - if a parent occasionally needs to leave a carseat on my porch or in my garage I am fine with that. If its becoming a problem I would just address it with that parent. I don't feel the need to have a policy for everything - some things I just deal with as they come up.
nannyde 06:42 AM 11-25-2014
I don't allow that. They need to have two sets of seats. She could have delivered the stuff to Grandma.
Rockgirl 07:08 AM 11-25-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I don't have a policy on it - if a parent occasionally needs to leave a carseat on my porch or in my garage I am fine with that. If its becoming a problem I would just address it with that parent. I don't feel the need to have a policy for everything - some things I just deal with as they come up.
This is me too.
AmyKidsCo 07:14 AM 11-25-2014
Me too. If it's large items like car seats or suitcases I'll put them on my back porch or in my living room, which is gated off. It doesn't happen often enough to be a bother to me.
Laurel 07:16 AM 11-25-2014

Heidi 07:52 AM 11-25-2014
me too
Cradle2crayons 08:07 AM 11-25-2014
I don't allow parents to leave anything at all. Except for the infant snap in car seats. That's it. They have to figure the logistics of the rest.
craftymissbeth 10:40 AM 11-25-2014
The only thing I allow is an infant car seat and that's only on days that *I* need to use it.

I've seen the crap inside one family's diaper bag and I will never allow another bag or anything else to stay on the property.
josie2014 10:46 AM 11-25-2014
They live stuff here in my house,one lives extra clothes and other one diaper bag...But I have been thinking...I have to find more space for everthing,my house is small...I always keeeping everthing neat...I have to buy some shelf storage...lol.I don't bother.Is not in my way...Helps then little bit.
KSDC 12:38 PM 11-25-2014
I generally don't let parents leave things here. I just don't have the extra space. Once in a blue moon, I will allow something like this for extenuating circumstances. (Parents are leaving town and Grandma is picking up, or some such) But, not for everyday. Not my monkeys, not my circus!
lovemykidstoo 12:48 PM 11-25-2014
I don't have a problem with it at all as long as it's not left overnight. If it comes with their child and leaves with their child, it doesn't hurt anything.
CurtainCrawlerCaretaker 12:57 PM 11-25-2014
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I don't have a problem with it at all as long as it's not left overnight. If it comes with their child and leaves with their child, it doesn't hurt anything.
exactly. But I have a wide covered walkway so all that large stuff like car seats and overnight bags and such stay outside, I don't even know they are there. I suppose if I did not have the room inside or outside to have these things hanging around all day I might have an issue with it then.
lovemykidstoo 01:31 PM 11-25-2014
I was just wondering and please don't think I'm slamming anyone at all, I'm just honestly curious. Why wouldn't you allow parents to leave some things there if it's just during the day when their child is there? I totally get leaving stuff there permanently, for instance I had a parent ask last year if they could keep a snowsuit, mittens, hat, boots there all winter for their child. There isn't any way I could do that for all of them, so I said no. I don't have that kind of room for 6 sets of winter clothes. My parents do have 1 set of clothes each that they leave here in case of accidents, but that's it. If it's something that is coming and going the same day with the child, then I don't mind either. I was just wondering, again not a criticism at all.
Cradle2crayons 01:56 PM 11-25-2014
I was just wondering and please don't think I'm slamming anyone at all, I'm just honestly curious. Why wouldn't you allow parents to leave some things there if it's just during the day when their child is there? I totally get leaving stuff there permanently, for instance I had a parent ask last year if they could keep a snowsuit, mittens, hat, boots there all winter for their child. There isn't any way I could do that for all of them, so I said no. I don't have that kind of room for 6 sets of winter clothes. My parents do have 1 set of clothes each that they leave here in case of accidents, but that's it. If it's something that is coming and going the same day with the child, then I don't mind either. I was just wondering, again not a criticism at all.
I don't allow diaper bags because they are a safety issue. Not only do they bring in nasty germs, but parents leave old cups, medicine, all kinds of bad things in them and I don't have room for all that anyway.

I don't allow car seats because I don't have outside room for them out of the weather and because I have my own car seats I use.

Each kid has a spot for diapers, extra clothes etc. that stuff stays here. Other than that, nope.
cara041083 06:09 PM 11-25-2014
Thinks for the opinions. I normally don't allow bags in my home due to bugs and thinks that can come in with them. It never bothered me to have them bring car seats and leave them on my porch, but Its getting to the point where its everyday, and I feel that if something happens to them (rain, stolen) I can't afford to replace it. So I think I will make it a policy. So I wanted to see what you guys thought.
lovemykidstoo 06:14 PM 11-25-2014
Originally Posted by cara041083:
Thinks for the opinions. I normally don't allow bags in my home due to bugs and thinks that can come in with them. It never bothered me to have them bring car seats and leave them on my porch, but Its getting to the point where its everyday, and I feel that if something happens to them (rain, stolen) I can't afford to replace it. So I think I will make it a policy. So I wanted to see what you guys thought.
If you do let them leave the carseats, I would just make sure they know it's at their own risk. No way would I replace if it was stolen out of my garage or off my front porch.
sahm1225 06:39 PM 11-25-2014
My friends sister was a space cadet mom, well she left her diaper bag at the home daycare that morning. She forgot to tell the provider that there was cold medicine in the bag AND that ds3 knew how to open the child proof cap. You guessed it, her ds got into the bag and poured out the medicine. He (Thank God) didn't drink the medicine but the provider was so rattled that it made me realize how unsafe it was to allow diaper bags and stuff like that. THEN I looked inside a giant diaper bag that my high maintenance dcm used to leave at daycare every morning and I was shocked at what I found (Those little envelopes of adult cold medicine, tons of gum, a ziplock bag of tums, and lots of half eaten snacks. It was gross!) and I made it a policy that nothing except car seats can be left at the daycare. I have a spot to leave the carseats so those don't bother me.
lovemykidstoo 07:01 PM 11-25-2014
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
My friends sister was a space cadet mom, well she left her diaper bag at the home daycare that morning. She forgot to tell the provider that there was cold medicine in the bag AND that ds3 knew how to open the child proof cap. You guessed it, her ds got into the bag and poured out the medicine. He (Thank God) didn't drink the medicine but the provider was so rattled that it made me realize how unsafe it was to allow diaper bags and stuff like that. THEN I looked inside a giant diaper bag that my high maintenance dcm used to leave at daycare every morning and I was shocked at what I found (Those little envelopes of adult cold medicine, tons of gum, a ziplock bag of tums, and lots of half eaten snacks. It was gross!) and I made it a policy that nothing except car seats can be left at the daycare. I have a spot to leave the carseats so those don't bother me.
Thanks for explaining. I was just curious. I only have 1 family that leave a bag and it's always neat and orderly. The other ones that still wear diapers just give me a bag with diapers in it and I put them in my drawers and throw the bag away. I do have a rule about medicines of any kind in the diaper bag though.
LysesKids 06:39 AM 11-26-2014
Originally Posted by cara041083:
Here's my policy...
CARSEATS; Please leave carseats in your vehicles for drop-off or pick ups; I cannot store car seats on the property or in the house while you are at work due to space and safety issues, plus they can transport hitch-hiking germs, bedbugs, lice etc from a Gym, Hotel or other facility.

I know it's not always possible, but suggest that you try and have one carseat per vehicle that picks up... the reason behind this is, if one of the cars is in an accident and an alternate must pick up, the carseat that was in the accident CANNOT BE USED due to possible damage (even if none is visible) - your insurance will replace that seat; parents that have to juggle seats between 2 vehicles have also found themselves without a seat last minute due to their spouses OT at work and it makes for late pick-ups and frantic calls

I have a similar policy for diaper bags... I keep spare clothes here in plastic zipper bags and a weeks worth of diapers; I don't want germs or bugs coming into the house
lovemykidstoo 06:51 AM 11-26-2014
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Here's my policy...
CARSEATS; Please leave carseats in your vehicles for drop-off or pick ups; I cannot store car seats on the property or in the house while you are at work due to space and safety issues, plus they can transport hitch-hiking germs, bedbugs, lice etc from a Gym, Hotel or other facility.

I know it's not always possible, but suggest that you try and have one carseat per vehicle that picks up... the reason behind this is, if one of the cars is in an accident and an alternate must pick up, the carseat that was in the accident CANNOT BE USED due to possible damage (even if none is visible) - your insurance will replace that seat; parents that have to juggle seats between 2 vehicles have also found themselves without a seat last minute due to their spouses OT at work and it makes for late pick-ups and frantic calls

I have a similar policy for diaper bags... I keep spare clothes here in plastic zipper bags and a weeks worth of diapers; I don't want germs or bugs coming into the house
Another point about the carseats. If you guys have ever been to a carseat safety check, you will know how hard it is to really get that carseat in the car the correct way. We went to one when my son was little and to get the seat into our van 100% the right way it took 2 officers to manuever it and sit on it to get it in there snug. No way are the seats being put in properly if they're doing it in 2 minutes in the driveway everyday. Put it in correctly and leave it there. Buy 2 if you need to do that.
Unregistered 07:09 AM 11-26-2014
Another point about the carseats. If you guys have ever been to a carseat safety check, you will know how hard it is to really get that carseat in the car the correct way. We went to one when my son was little and to get the seat into our van 100% the right way it took 2 officers to manuever it and sit on it to get it in there snug. No way are the seats being put in properly if they're doing it in 2 minutes in the driveway everyday. Put it in correctly and leave it there. Buy 2 if you need to do that.
Tom Copeland also addressed the car seats being left as something providers should not do because of liability reasons. If a parent leaves a car seat at your house and then installs it improperly and gets into an accident, it can somehow come back to the provider because they were the last person to have it.
I'm not positive on that but I do recall reading something about it so its not a risk I want to take so I don't let parents leave car seats here for any reason.
Tags:car seats, leaving stuff, liability, parents - forgetful, tom copeland
Reply Up