Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sound Fair?
MommyMuffin 05:42 AM 08-04-2011
I have a PT dcb starting soon. They want approx 3 days a week. It will be different days each week. Because she is a nurse I am sure some weeks will be 4 days and some 2.

I want to know how much $ I can count on and to make sure if they want to take the kids to grandmas one day I still get paid.

I charge $30 a day for PT so I was thinking of writting in my contract that theywill pay $90 a week.

So then if one week they need 4 days and the next they need 2...do I just keep track of their days and reimburse them if they over paid???
mac60 05:49 AM 08-04-2011
I would not do it this way. I have a minimum of 3 days a week, I would make it $90 per week whether they use 2 or 3, and if they need 4, then $120.

I currently care for a family of 2, every other week it is 2 days then 3 days, I have a 3 day min, they were fine with it. Most places require ft pay regardless.
3kidzmama 05:51 AM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
I have a PT dcb starting soon. They want approx 3 days a week. It will be different days each week. Because she is a nurse I am sure some weeks will be 4 days and some 2.

I want to know how much $ I can count on and to make sure if they want to take the kids to grandmas one day I still get paid.

I charge $30 a day for PT so I was thinking of writting in my contract that theywill pay $90 a week.

So then if one week they need 4 days and the next they need 2...do I just keep track of their days and reimburse them if they over paid???
I have it in my contract that part time is a three day minimum, so I'm guaranteed at least three days pay. I would charge $120 on the 4 day weeks and still charge $90 on the two day weeks.
TBird 05:51 AM 08-04-2011
Please just set one price no matter how many days they attend. So much easier and never any questioning.
TBird 05:55 AM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:
Please just set one price no matter how many days they attend. So much easier and never any questioning.
Let me rephrase that...charge the flat rate for the 4 days even if they come 3.
littlemommy 06:00 AM 08-04-2011
I just went through this with a family this week. My normal operating hours are 7:30-5:15, Monday-Friday. This family needs care for 2 children, 2-4 days a week. I normally charge $2.50/hr per kid, $4/hr for 2. Their hours are from 4 AM to 2 PM, so I raised my price to $5.50/hr.

Since the days vary from week to week, I originally had it figured at a set rate of $160/wk, for 20-40 hours (2-4 days). The mom tried taking advantage of that saying she will bring them 4 days no matter what. I had a discussion with them saying that the way I figured that rate was thinking there would be 2 day weeks and 4 day weeks, averaging out to 3 days/wk. We settled on $160 for 30 hours (3 days) and $5.50/hr after that.

If you charge hourly you will be losing out. Do a set rate and get everything in writing so there's no mis-communication.
nannyde 06:06 AM 08-04-2011
If you do that you are going to be playing catch up with them all the time. Anytime she can get free she is going to take that plus switch your schedule around so she can still get her three in. Anytime they are sick she is going to switch around your days so she can get her three in.

Do three days minimum: minimum $90 with SCHEDULED days per week. That means she must give you the schedule on Friday for the upcoming week.

If she uses more then it's a 30 dollar fee per day. If she uses other days than the scheduled... it's an additional 30 dollar fee. If they are absent for any reason on the scheduled days then they do NOT get a make up day.

When you have a holiday during the week it is ONE of her three days. She can only come two days that week OR pay you the holiday pay PLUS the 90. With three days a week she will be able to work the schedule so she doesn't ever pay holiday pay.

Remember when you are giving her access to three days of a five day cycle that changes weekly that essentially you are giving her access to a full slot but only having to pay for three of the five days. Make sure the fee for this service is built into your three day rate. The daily rate should NOT be one fifth of the weekly rate.
littlemommy 06:11 AM 08-04-2011
Nanny-

I have in my contract that the main holidays are paid. I guess I haven't put a whole lot of thought into how many hours I will charge for. Their normal daily hours are 10 hrs/day, so for a holiday (that falls during the week) do I charge a 10 hour day or an 8 hour day? Charging the hourly rate of $5.50 would be fair, right?
Meyou 06:18 AM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
If you do that you are going to be playing catch up with them all the time. Anytime she can get free she is going to take that plus switch your schedule around so she can still get her three in. Anytime they are sick she is going to switch around your days so she can get her three in.

Do three days minimum: minimum $90 with SCHEDULED days per week. That means she must give you the schedule on Friday for the upcoming week.

If she uses more then it's a 30 dollar fee per day. If she uses other days than the scheduled... it's an additional 30 dollar fee. If they are absent for any reason on the scheduled days then they do NOT get a make up day.

When you have a holiday during the week it is ONE of her three days. She can only come two days that week OR pay you the holiday pay PLUS the 90. With three days a week she will be able to work the schedule so she doesn't ever pay holiday pay.

Remember when you are giving her access to three days of a five day cycle that changes weekly that essentially you are giving her access to a full slot but only having to pay for three of the five days. Make sure the fee for this service is built into your three day rate. The daily rate should NOT be one fifth of the weekly rate.
This is exactly what I do except I have a 4 day per week minimum charge. I need the schedule by Thursday the previous week or they run the risk of having a drop in take a spot on a day they need. I start booking dropins for the following week first thing Friday mornings. If they use more than 4 days in the week they pay the daily drop in rate for the 5th day.

There is also no trading days one week for days in the next week. I don't care if they work 2 days this week and 4 the next. I just want a schedule of days they need me by Thursday.
SandeeAR 06:31 AM 08-04-2011

Yep, this is the way to do it! Especially pay attention to the bolded (by me) part. You will need this info to make the parent understand.
Cat Herder 06:38 AM 08-04-2011
IMHO, The child will be taking up a full-time slot, so DCM should pay accordingly.

Full-Time rate and the child can attend as little or as often as DCM pleases.
MommyMuffin 06:50 AM 08-04-2011
Thanks guys. Now I just have to figure out how to word this in my contract. That is what I will be doing at naptime I guess.

I would charge fulltime rate or at least 1/3 of my weekly rate but I've been struggling to get this spot even half filled. My area is oversaturated with cheap providers.

This extra income will help me pay to finish my basement for daycare!!
I am charging 1/4 of the weekly rate. The dcp told me that they looked into a family friends center and the daily rate was $50 a day.
Alexandra 07:14 AM 08-04-2011
How old is the child?
momma2girls 07:49 AM 08-04-2011
I have a 3 day minimum each week and the days must be scheduled- such as Mon. Wed. and Fri. If they cannot schedule the exact days each week- they will need you all 5 days technically- if you need to hold a spot for them all 5 days, you need to charge them for all 5 days!! I went thru this about 3 yrs. ago. I know a friend of mine did as well. The friend of mine, her family always switched days especially around her vac. and Holidays, they would just flop around them, so they wouldn't have to pay for them at all.
MommyMuffin 08:47 AM 08-04-2011
The child is 2. This is my first referral from a current client.
I guess I am afraid that if I charge more than they wont choose me. I need whatever money I can get to make it work, I'm getting by right now but need a little more to feel comfortable. Hopefully I will come to a point in my buisness when I can be more stringent.

This is all wonderful advice and hopefully I can run my buisness this way when the market in my area gets a little better.
bice99 09:22 AM 08-04-2011

This is exactly how I do it for my nurse family. BTW - she works 3 12 hour shifts. That's standard. But some weeks I only have her guy once. She still pays my minimum, which is 3 days +$15 for the hassle of dealing with PT, so $120/wk for a toddler/preschooler. If she wanted an extra day, an extra $40 was due. And yes, set days b/c otherwise if she pays for 4 days, she will bring 4 days!
Tags:parent - unrealistic expectations, rate - fair and reasonable, rate quote, rates - fair and reasonable, rates - flat fee
Reply Up