Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gov't Drama Affecting My DC Family -- What Would You Do...
Lucy 05:21 PM 10-01-2013
Let's not turn this into a political discussion, but the government shut down has affected one of my DC families. He works as a civilian at the Air National Guard base. (He's also IN the Air Nat'l Reserves, but he makes his living from the civilian job.) He is on furlough due to the shut down.

Their 2 kids did not come today, and at around 4pm I got a text from the mom saying "is there a time we can get together to discuss our current situation?". I know what she means.... if he's off work for awhile, they won't be able to afford to pay me.

I haven't answered yet because I want to "get my ducks in a row", as they say. What would you all do? Two weeks notice, then a holding fee for their spot? Like maybe half the regular amount?? This is TWO kids, and represents 1/3 of my income! I can NOT refill their spot in the town I'm in. It's a small town with too many home DC's and lately some centers popping up at churches as well as "commercial" type centers. Too much competition for too small a town. I've tried, and I can't fill spots for beans.

Need advice!!!!!
Michael 05:31 PM 10-01-2013
I do not think this shutdown will last more then a few days.
Unregistered 05:48 PM 10-01-2013
OP here on my phone and can't remember password.

Yes, that is my hope too, but they're going to want to talk, and I should have some kind of contingency plan for them.

Pay full amt this week and see where to go from there? Or..... ???
spinnymarie 06:51 PM 10-01-2013
This might be unpopular, but if it were me I'd try to let them off the hook for a few days if possible.
If it lasts longer than a week, set another meeting to re-discuss.
If you can't fill the spots anyway... the best you are going to do by charging here is get the two-weeks notice, and then they go somewhere else.
Or, you give them a few days off, and keep them.
JMHO.
cara041083 06:54 PM 10-01-2013
Originally Posted by spinnymarie:
This might be unpopular, but if it were me I'd try to let them off the hook for a few days if possible.
If you can't fill the spots anyway... the best you are going to do by charging here is get the two-weeks notice, and then they go somewhere else.
JMHO.
That is what I would do also. Its better to loose a weeks pay then to loose them for good.
Familycare71 07:04 PM 10-01-2013
I would make a short term plan... And then a long term plan. I would ask that they pay the two weeks in full (I have two weeks notice to protect my budget) and then hopefully the shut down is complete and no issue. If it is still an issue then I would ask for a min of two days to hold the spot.
Because you want to keep this family and you can't replace I would be flexible. Hopefully they are honest about what they can and cannot do and don't take advantage. Maybe even break down the payments so you get your two weeks but over four weeks. So they end up being behind until the furlough is lifted and then can catch back up.
I think what ever you decide know your bottom lines- what you are willing to walk away from.
I have def done this for families - I think there is no problem as long as they are still prioritizing you as a bill. And I would make sure they understand kiddos don't attend full time care for part time pay...
MCC 07:11 PM 10-01-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
I would make a short term plan... And then a long term plan. I would ask that they pay the two weeks in full (I have two weeks notice to protect my budget) and then hopefully the shut down is complete and no issue. If it is still an issue then I would ask for a min of two days to hold the spot.
Because you want to keep this family and you can't replace I would be flexible. Hopefully they are honest about what they can and cannot do and don't take advantage. Maybe even break down the payments so you get your two weeks but over four weeks. So they end up being behind until the furlough is lifted and then can catch back up.
I think what ever you decide know your bottom lines- what you are willing to walk away from.
I have def done this for families - I think there is no problem as long as they are still prioritizing you as a bill. And I would make sure they understand kiddos don't attend full time care for part time pay...
I agree with all of this. Where are they on payment right now? As in, did they pay you this past Monday for the next two weeks? Or are they day by day? If they have already paid in advance for this week and/or next week, maybe use that as their "two weeks" and hope that this is all over by then? I feel like this is such a sticky situation for us, anyone know what centers are doing?
Lucy 07:46 PM 10-01-2013
Originally Posted by Michael:
What is your username? I will send your password.
It's ok, Michael. I was just in the other room and too lazy to walk to the back of the house to look up my password!! LOL

JMHO.
I guarantee they won't go elsewhere. These people tell me often how glad they are that their kids are here, and that the kids love me and feel so at home with me. I'm not tooting my own horn, that's just the way they feel. One time I was joking about quitting, and Mom nearly cried. But my question to you regarding what you suggested is... when you say "give them a few days off", do you mean without pay? (I'm not disagreeing, just want to make sure I know what you mean) In other words, let's say this government thing lasts the rest of this week. They were here Monday, so would you give them 4 days (unattended) without charging them? Thanks for your help!

"min of two days to hold the spot" meaning charge them for 2 days per week until this blows over? (during which the kids could come the 2 days if they want, right?) I LOVE the idea about breaking down the payments. And I'm comfortable with this family that they would not do me wrong. I would still put it all in writing, though. You know... just in case!

Originally Posted by MCC:
I agree with all of this. Where are they on payment right now? As in, did they pay you this past Monday for the next two weeks? Or are they day by day? If they have already paid in advance for this week and/or next week, maybe use that as their "two weeks" and hope that this is all over by then? I feel like this is such a sticky situation for us, anyone know what centers are doing?
As far as payments now, they are on a weekly rate, and pay on Friday for that week's care that has already taken place. (Yes, I know, I know! I have everyone else pay in advance, but these people went through schedule changes like crazy awhile back. Dad's work kept messing with his shifts. They went from full time for both kids, to part time for one and full for the other, to part time for both, back to full time for both, etc., etc., and I got tired of re-figuring everything each week, so I switched them to paying AFTER care takes place so that I could just charge them actual amount instead of doing complicated math. Don't scold me!!) Anyway.... they are always current, and always pay on time. No problems whatsoever.

Again, thanks so much for your suggestions, everyone!! I'm really struggling on what to do with this one, and NEED your input!!!
MyAngels 09:35 PM 10-01-2013
If I could afford to do it I would probably allow them some time off unpaid as long as we kept in good contact as far as how long the layoff would last.

If I could not afford it I might offer them an opportunity to take the time off now unpaid, but then make up the unpaid fees later by paying an extra amount each week when they go back to work until they have paid the arrears.

Ideally people should have an emergency fund for just this type of situation, but realistically many people don't have that mindset.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you that this shutdown doesn't last long .
Lucy 10:21 PM 10-01-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
If I could afford to do it I would probably allow them some time off unpaid as long as we kept in good contact as far as how long the layoff would last.

If I could not afford it I might offer them an opportunity to take the time off now unpaid, but then make up the unpaid fees later by paying an extra amount each week when they go back to work until they have paid the arrears.

Ideally people should have an emergency fund for just this type of situation, but realistically many people don't have that mindset.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you that this shutdown doesn't last long .
Good thoughts - thanks. Gosh, I just don't know what to do! I'm going to text Mom in the morning and set up a meeting. I hope I can come up with something coherent to say by then!!!
Laurel 01:54 AM 10-02-2013
JMHO.

Laurel
Lucy 07:11 AM 10-02-2013
Yikes... just now on The Today Show, the "expert" said it could be a week, maybe two weeks till this crud plays out.
MyAngels 07:36 AM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by Lucy:
Yikes... just now on The Today Show, the "expert" said it could be a week, maybe two weeks till this crud plays out.
I saw that too and thought of you. The first thing I did this morning was get online and send all of my Congressmen a message stating my displeasure about the way they are handling their jobs .

I equated it to real life. If my boss gave me a major assignment and a year to get the job done, but all I did was delay, stonewall and argue with my colleagues and end up causing major layoffs within my company, I'd get fired. I told them that I would campaign to get them fired, too, if they didn't shape up and do their jobs .
Lucy 08:01 AM 10-02-2013
I saw that too and thought of you. The first thing I did this morning was get online and send all of my Congressmen a message stating my displeasure about the way they are handling their jobs .

I equated it to real life. If my boss gave me a major assignment and a year to get the job done, but all I did was delay, stonewall and argue with my colleagues and end up causing major layoffs within my company, I'd get fired. I told them that I would campaign to get them fired, too, if they didn't shape up and do their jobs .
Love it! (But I still don't want this to get into a political discussion. Those never go well!)

So I set up a meeting. I have 5 hours to come up with a plan. You guys.... I still don't know what I'm going to do!!!!
Maria2013 08:45 AM 10-02-2013
JMHO.
that's my thinking
Maria2013 08:46 AM 10-02-2013

MyAngels 09:07 AM 10-02-2013
So I set up a meeting. I have 5 hours to come up with a plan. You guys.... I still don't know what I'm going to do!!!!
Maybe just make a list of ways it could be handled in the order that you're most comfortable with, and then take your cues from them. They may already have a plan that will work, other than just free . If their plan won't work you'll have several options to discuss as alternatives. Like a negotiation. Show Congress how it's supposed to work .
Lucy 10:09 AM 10-02-2013
Here's my preliminary plan. I have 3 hours to think on it and get it typed up. I'm sure it needs tweeking. That's where YOU come in!!

Pay full amount for this week.
Pay half for next week.
Pay $25 holding fee for weeks beyond that. (Probably should set a maximum, but I really don't see this shutdown lasting for weeks and weeks on end. Do you??)

If they decide to quit, I still need two weeks notice. The charge for those 2 weeks would be whatever would have fit into the plan above. So it could be only $50. OR -- should the two week notice be charged at their regular full rate? I just don't know!!

I will offer a deferred payment plan. I'd have a paper where we'd keep track of the charges (per the above plan), and they'd have one month after starting back to work to get it paid off. If they end up giving notice, whatever has accrued on their "account" will be due in full one week after the two weeks ends. (Sorry it's so confusing!)

Are there any other contingencies I haven't thought of? What do you think of the plan? What would you do differently?

I've never needed your help more than than I do now!
Familycare71 10:21 AM 10-02-2013
It's ok, Michael. I was just in the other room and too lazy to walk to the back of the house to look up my password!! LOL

I guarantee they won't go elsewhere. These people tell me often how glad they are that their kids are here, and that the kids love me and feel so at home with me. I'm not tooting my own horn, that's just the way they feel. One time I was joking about quitting, and Mom nearly cried. But my question to you regarding what you suggested is... when you say "give them a few days off", do you mean without pay? (I'm not disagreeing, just want to make sure I know what you mean) In other words, let's say this government thing lasts the rest of this week. They were here Monday, so would you give them 4 days (unattended) without charging them? Thanks for your help!

Everything should be in writing!

"min of two days to hold the spot" meaning charge them for 2 days per week until this blows over? (during which the kids could come the 2 days if they want, right?) I LOVE the idea about breaking down the payments. And I'm comfortable with this family that they would not do me wrong. I would still put it all in writing, though. You know... just in case!

As far as payments now, they are on a weekly rate, and pay on Friday for that week's care that has already taken place. (Yes, I know, I know! I have everyone else pay in advance, but these people went through schedule changes like crazy awhile back. Dad's work kept messing with his shifts. They went from full time for both kids, to part time for one and full for the other, to part time for both, back to full time for both, etc., etc., and I got tired of re-figuring everything each week, so I switched them to paying AFTER care takes place so that I could just charge them actual amount instead of doing complicated math. Don't scold me!!) Anyway.... they are always current, and always pay on time. No problems whatsoever.

Again, thanks so much for your suggestions, everyone!! I'm really struggling on what to do with this one, and NEED your input!!!
Yes- I mean that they pay you for two full days per week to hold the spot and they could attend those two days if they wanted.
I have a section in my contract that states for unemployment or disability After two weeks notice I will hold the spot for each child with a two day min for a max of two months. After the two months the contract needs to be re evaluated. I have used it a few times and it works- families appreciate it and I keep the kids.
butterfly 10:24 AM 10-02-2013
Here's my preliminary plan. I have 3 hours to think on it and get it typed up. I'm sure it needs tweeking. That's where YOU come in!!

Pay half for next week.
Pay $25 holding fee for weeks beyond that. (Probably should set a maximum, but I really don't see this shutdown lasting for weeks and weeks on end. Do you??)

If they decide to quit, I still need two weeks notice. The charge for those 2 weeks would be whatever would have fit into the plan above. So it could be only $50. OR -- should the two week notice be charged at their regular full rate? I just don't know!!

I will offer a deferred payment plan. I'd have a paper where we'd keep track of the charges (per the above plan), and they'd have one month after starting back to work to get it paid off. If they end up giving notice, whatever has accrued on their "account" will be due in full one week after the two weeks ends. (Sorry it's so confusing!)

Are there any other contingencies I haven't thought of? What do you think of the plan? What would you do differently?

I think your plan is more than fair. I'm not sure I'd offer defered payments at the rates you are offering though. They should be able to beg or borrow that amount of money from someone if you are a priority in their lives.
Lucy 10:28 AM 10-02-2013
Yes- I mean that they pay you for two full days per week to hold the spot and they could attend those two days if they wanted.
I have a section in my contract that states for unemployment or disability After two weeks notice I will hold the spot for each child with a two day min for a max of two months. After the two months the contract needs to be re evaluated. I have used it a few times and it works- families appreciate it and I keep the kids.
I kinda like your two day charge plan better than my measly $25. I might change it to that. Thanks. Or I might change it to $50. I don't know!!! I hate this!!!

Originally Posted by butterfly:
I think your plan is more than fair. I'm not sure I'd offer defered payments at the rates you are offering though. They should be able to beg or borrow that amount of money from someone if you are a priority in their lives.
Yeah, you're probably right. I just feel like if I throw them a bone, it will soften the blow for them. I'm sure she's totally stressed over this, and I'd get the same money either way. It would just take longer. And again, I don't worry that they'll do me wrong. They are extremely trustworthy. But I do totally see your point. This is so hard!!!
Familycare71 10:32 AM 10-02-2013

Pay half for next week.

I think that is extremely generous
I would leave two week notice at whatever the payment would be (so maybe $50) BUT I would require full payment of any money due at the end of the two week notice- not the week after.
Just check in with yourself and be honest that YOU are ok with it - if yes then I think it's good.
I would have them initial am invoice every week (or sign) in addition to signing this plan.
I wouldn't put a time limit on it because you also have a two week period to change what your willing to do kwim?
Lucy 10:34 AM 10-02-2013
I think that is extremely generous
I would leave two week notice at whatever the payment would be (so maybe $50) BUT I would require full payment of any money due at the end of the two week notice- not the week after.
Just check in with yourself and be honest that YOU are ok with it - if yes then I think it's good.
I would have them initial am invoice every week (or sign) in addition to signing this plan.
I wouldn't put a time limit on it because you also have a two week period to change what your willing to do kwim?
Awesome...
butterfly 10:49 AM 10-02-2013
Why don't you start out by asking what the parent would like to do? They maybe ok with paying much more than you are proposing! If they say free daycare or something crazy than bring up your plan of what you are willing to do for them.
Familycare71 10:50 AM 10-02-2013
Awesome...
. Happy to help! It's why I love this forum!!
Familycare71 10:53 AM 10-02-2013
Just a thought... I am not sure what your rates are but what about offering them a choice...
Two days min with attendance included (they can send if they want two specific days) or no attendance/care at $25 or maybe whatever your daily fee is.
Lucy 11:04 AM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
Why don't you start out by asking what the parent would like to do? They maybe ok with paying much more than you are proposing! If they say free daycare or something crazy than bring up your plan of what you are willing to do for them.
Yes, I'm going to let the discussion start before I pull out my proposal. If they're saying something like "we know we still need to pay you, but will you consider some kind of payment plan?" then I'll totally go for that!! It's delaying the payments, but it would be FULL amount!! I will definitely feel them out before I spring my plan on them!
spinnymarie 11:22 AM 10-02-2013
Yep, I meant let them stay home the next four days and not pay for it. With a follow-up mtg on Friday if still on furlough, to discuss what comes next.

Good luck with your decision! It's a tough one.
spinnymarie 11:28 AM 10-02-2013

Pay half for next week.

Ok sorry, read further now - this looks good, I agree that I'd ask for the full payment if they terminate, at the time of termination. Are you asking for any partial payments while they are deferred? Seems like they should at least pay $50 or $25 every week no matter what, and the rest could be deferred? Just because you wouldn't want them to somehow owe more than they could pay in a month? Just a thought
My3cents 11:32 AM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by Michael:
I do not think this shutdown will last more then a few days.
Care to elaborate?

Sorry but its hard to not go into a political discussion when it is about this subject....so I vote to over ride and chat this one out.

Curious on your thoughts Michael
Lucy 11:37 AM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by My3cents:
Care to elaborate?

Sorry but its hard to not go into a political discussion when it is about this subject....so I vote to over ride and chat this one out.

Curious on your thoughts Michael
Let's start a new thread for discussion of the government shutdown. In fact, I'll start one now. Look for it entitled "YOUR THOUGHTS ON THE GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN".

Thanks!!!
My3cents 11:39 AM 10-02-2013
Good thoughts - thanks. Gosh, I just don't know what to do! I'm going to text Mom in the morning and set up a meeting. I hope I can come up with something coherent to say by then!!!
listen before responding but have an idea of what you want to do.

There problem can't become your problem, unless your rich and can afford to help these people out. I can't. I have bills to pay.

I would listen and see what the parents have to say.

I think my back up plan would be to care for the kids and then have them pay a higher rate to make up for your loss income once they do go back to work if you can afford to do that and not jeopardize your bills being paid on time, have them pay me what they can until back to work and keep track of what they owe you and then let them slowly pay it to you, knowing that if they stop care that past amount not paid is due along with any other monies owed to you. I would only do this to trusted clients that have been with me for a very long time and you know they are not going to screw you over- It would be in writing also and part of a new contract signed with you, esp if this last for weeks on end. I hope it works out for you- Best
Blackcat31 11:43 AM 10-02-2013
Could you set up a payment plan so that when they do get back to work, they can pay the missing tuition later?
My3cents 11:45 AM 10-02-2013

Pay half for next week.

your way ahead of me........ but I like your second option better, this way you still have the kids in routine and not upsetting their lives anymore then needed, your still getting your pay but just delayed. I would just ask them to pay as much as they can. I wouldn't let this go on and on forever if the shut down happens to go on for months, unless they were paying you. I wouldn't want it to get to a point where the parents would never be able to pay you back what they accrued. I would listen first.......anyhow best of luck, and sorry this effecting your business.
GG~DAYCARE 02:29 PM 10-02-2013
I will not charge my parent for all the days he is furloughed. When they return to work, if he is reimbursed for those days off than I will be reimbursed too. Not great but I am winding down with my day care....30 years. She is my last full timer. I'll suffer the loss. They have 3 kids to feed. I know most of you need every penny. I was there a few years ago too. This would have seriously impacted my bills. Good luck to everyone. You all have to do what's best for you and your family. Hope it's a short shutdown!
EMC2 02:40 PM 10-02-2013
I also don't think this will last very long. Possibly a week. In any case, I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but once it's over the government employees will start getting paid AND get retro-pay from the date of the shut down.

So if you can hold out a little, possibly charge a holding fee, you might not have to drop your DC family.
TwinKristi 03:04 PM 10-02-2013
Yeah I agree this is kinda being over worked here. I know you will have a hard time filling the spots if they leave, but you shouldn't sell yourself out. I would definitely see what they offer before you throw out this $25/wk stuff to hold their spot. That's nice of you but I think if they get back pay you should as well. And if they cancel care altogether (but not sure why, this isn't going last forever...) I would expect your full 2wks pay but agree on payments. If this is your last paycheck from them and you won't be able to fill these spots easily, why take such a huge pay cut when they'll be paid eventually!
Familycare71 03:25 PM 10-02-2013
I didn't know they would get back pay!!! If that is the case I totally change my answer!!
Let us know what happened
Lavender 04:05 PM 10-02-2013
More than likely a backpay plan will be included when this is finally over, just like happened in the 90's. Personally, I would suggest you have them pay whatever portion they can now, and they pay the rest when they get their backpay.
Lyss 04:48 PM 10-02-2013
Any update? Just wondering how the conversation went with them and how things turned out
Lucy 11:41 PM 10-02-2013
It went very well. Just Mom came. Dad was doing an odd job for a family friend. They're already thinking ahead!

I let her start, and she pretty much indicated that she knew I needed to get paid, and that she didn't want this to trickle down and affect me too badly, but that without his income, they wouldn't have any extra funds. She said that her paycheck is equivalent to the mortgage, and not much more. She said that he makes about 3 times more than she does, so this would be a huge hit to them.

I then picked it up and said that I pretty much knew this would be the case, and took the liberty of coming up with a plan. I described what it would be, and she seemed grateful.

I did wimp out on pulling out the agreement I had typed up though! It just seemed too presumptous of me. I just said that I'd get this all typed up and get it to her. She said that was great, and that she could come by on her lunch hour if that worked for me. It ended up to be a good thing, because I tweaked and clarified some of the points once I got home, and printed out a new version of it.

I want to thank you all SOOOOO much for your help on this. I really think without this forum, I would've just caved and not received ANY payment for their non-attendance. You guys are awesome!!!!!!

Oh!! And I ended up asking for 2 weeks at full pay (deferred payments), the third week at half pay, and any weeks beyond that would be charged a $50 holding fee. And I made it clear that the girls could come any or all hours the first two weeks, half their normal hours the third week, and a combined total of 10 hours (total for both girls) for weeks beyond that.

I'm pretty much thinking that this shutdown won't go past next week (Oct 11).
christine19720 04:37 AM 10-03-2013
First, I did not have time to read all the replies but with the first round of Govt. furloughs every family in my care was affected. Including myself. So...... in the name of PR, if the families did not bring the kids I did not charge them. After all it was beyond their control, kept them happy and kept most of my customers here. I live in a military town and I'd go to say 75% of not more of the businesses here are supported by it one way or another. So, just I bit the bullet and did what I thought was right. Fortunately for me, our family planned on this happening and while it wasn't fun, we came out unscathed. Many other families were not as fortunate. At least they had jobs to return to and I thoroughly enjoyed every Friday off this last summer

My 2 cents
oh wait.
1 cent

Christine
granny04 05:13 AM 10-03-2013
I agree with spinnymarie--and this has been my line of reasoning since I opened 11 years ago.
If there is not a line of families waiting for that spot you lose NOTHING by appearing to give them a break by suspending payments until this is over.
They will be back and think well of you. If you demand money from them (that they clearly won't have) they may come back but there will always be a bad feeling.
I tell my parents we are all in this together and I am willing to work with them when issues arise. Which is true--BUT-- there are not people lining up to get into my day care--there are almost as many day care providers in my area as children!! I always manage to keep a good workable number in care and have always been willing to work with a parent when a crisis arose--not all parental problems being caused by the government

I am wondering how this new crisis is going to affect my day care--so far it hasn't--but I don't have parents directly affected. If the problem goes on I'm sure it will trickle down and I will have issues to deal with.
MyAngels 05:14 AM 10-03-2013
It went very well. Just Mom came. Dad was doing an odd job for a family friend. They're already thinking ahead!

I let her start, and she pretty much indicated that she knew I needed to get paid, and that she didn't want this to trickle down and affect me too badly, but that without his income, they wouldn't have any extra funds. She said that her paycheck is equivalent to the mortgage, and not much more. She said that he makes about 3 times more than she does, so this would be a huge hit to them.

I then picked it up and said that I pretty much knew this would be the case, and took the liberty of coming up with a plan. I described what it would be, and she seemed grateful.

I did wimp out on pulling out the agreement I had typed up though! It just seemed too presumptous of me. I just said that I'd get this all typed up and get it to her. She said that was great, and that she could come by on her lunch hour if that worked for me. It ended up to be a good thing, because I tweaked and clarified some of the points once I got home, and printed out a new version of it.

I want to thank you all SOOOOO much for your help on this. I really think without this forum, I would've just caved and not received ANY payment for their non-attendance. You guys are awesome!!!!!!

Oh!! And I ended up asking for 2 weeks at full pay (deferred payments), the third week at half pay, and any weeks beyond that would be charged a $50 holding fee. And I made it clear that the girls could come any or all hours the first two weeks, half their normal hours the third week, and a combined total of 10 hours (total for both girls) for weeks beyond that.

I'm so glad it worked out well!
Familycare71 06:29 AM 10-03-2013

Awesome!! . So glad of went well- sounds like a great family who really appreciate the help!
spinnymarie 06:32 AM 10-03-2013
I'm so glad it worked out well!
Agreed! Thanks for the update.
butterfly 07:59 AM 10-03-2013

My3cents 10:33 AM 10-03-2013
glad it went well, you handled it well, but I would have let her tell me what she had in mind before I mentioned my ideas. she might have been able to pay you more then what you asked- all in all it worked out to the point of you being happy with it, and obviously this client thinks much of you to come to you and work things out. Nice~
Lucy 10:41 AM 10-03-2013
Originally Posted by My3cents:
glad it went well, you handled it well, but I would have let her tell me what she had in mind before I mentioned my ideas. she might have been able to pay you more then what you asked- all in all it worked out to the point of you being happy with it, and obviously this client thinks much of you to come to you and work things out. Nice~
Yes, I totally get what you're saying, and the "money" side of my brain wanted them to pay full amount for the entire time. But first off, I don't think this will last more than 2 weeks, and I'm getting full pay for the first 2 weeks, so I won't be losing anything if that's indeed the way it goes. Secondly, I did think about charging full amount beyond 2 weeks, but I just wasn't comfortable with it. As a couple of people commented above, the bottom line is I had to walk away feeling good about the plan for both of us, and I think what I came up with (with everyone's help!!!) is a fair compromise.
Tags:government intrusion, government subsidies, leniancy, nice, parent job
Reply Up