Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Need Some Help Doing What's Best
Josiegirl 03:34 PM 02-20-2015
Looking ahead to summer here...one of my dcms emailed me asking if I can take her dd til almost the end of June. She's a teacher and this whole school year she has paid half days because her dd is in preschool. Instead of paying a full day rate of 105 a week, she's paying 80 a week. Lots of weeks she's here for maybe 12 hours total or less. Anyways, last summer I applied for a summer variance to take 4 SA dcks and I'm hoping to do the same this summer. BUT school will end before her dd stops coming(prek ends sooner than regular school plus dcm is taking another week of classes).
Would it be unethical of me to decline the last 1-3 weeks of care(I'm not sure when school gets out for the other kids) for her dd, to ensure I can have the other SA dcks on time?
I need some help with this. My own conscience tells me I need to take her dd til the end of June, yet my financial decision making side tells me I could really use the SA's extra money, because if I have to put any of them on hold, I may lose them entirely.
So, WWYD?
Thanks!!!
daycare 03:46 PM 02-20-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Looking ahead to summer here...one of my dcms emailed me asking if I can take her dd til almost the end of June. She's a teacher and this whole school year she has paid half days because her dd is in preschool. Instead of paying a full day rate of 105 a week, she's paying 80 a week. Lots of weeks she's here for maybe 12 hours total or less. Anyways, last summer I applied for a summer variance to take 4 SA dcks and I'm hoping to do the same this summer. BUT school will end before her dd stops coming(prek ends sooner than regular school plus dcm is taking another week of classes).
Would it be unethical of me to decline the last 1-3 weeks of care(I'm not sure when school gets out for the other kids) for her dd, to ensure I can have the other SA dcks on time?
I need some help with this. My own conscience tells me I need to take her dd til the end of June, yet my financial decision making side tells me I could really use the SA's extra money, because if I have to put any of them on hold, I may lose them entirely.
So, WWYD?
Thanks!!!
can you look at the school dist website to see their last day of school.

I am in this same exact boat. I have 5 kids who are all 5 and come summer will become SA. People on my wait list want in come July, but school does not start until mid August, so I am stuck with having to take the risk of losing the new comers by letting those exit the program stay a few more weeks or end their contract in July and take the new people....

how long have you had this client?
TheGoodLife 03:54 PM 02-20-2015
So, WWYD?
Thanks!!!
I would tell her, sorry, per our original agreement, my summer spaces are filled as of <date> and I do not have room after that.
You are able to make a financial decision, and conscience should not enter into it. I wouldn't consider taking a financial hit to help out (unless really needed AND I could afford it/wanted to), as I'm sure they wouldn't do it either (Sorry, DCM, something came up and my bills are getting more expensive, could you pay me $20 more a week for the summer? It's the same thing, really )
Josiegirl 03:56 PM 02-20-2015
This is the 2nd school year that I've had this family. They don't come during the summers(except for a couple extra weeks into June)and I've never asked them to pay because I always have SA come. But this summer will be different because I have an extra dck that I didn't have last summer so may not have the space I did last summer.
I'll have to write it all out to see exactly what numbers there will be.

Boy, this all gets so confusing doesn't it? Trying not to tick anybody off and possibly having negative feedback going around about us, trying to do what's right versus what will get us a better paycheck.
Josiegirl 03:58 PM 02-20-2015
Thank you Goodlife, that's a good way to word it if that's what it comes down to.
daycare 04:09 PM 02-20-2015
This is the 2nd school year that I've had this family. They don't come during the summers(except for a couple extra weeks into June)and I've never asked them to pay because I always have SA come. But this summer will be different because I have an extra dck that I didn't have last summer so may not have the space I did last summer.
I'll have to write it all out to see exactly what numbers there will be.

Boy, this all gets so confusing doesn't it? Trying not to tick anybody off and possibly having negative feedback going around about us, trying to do what's right versus what will get us a better paycheck.
yeah it is really hard to have to figure it all out. Is it only one kid either way.

her or one SA?
Josiegirl 04:41 PM 02-20-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
yeah it is really hard to have to figure it all out. Is it only one kid either way.

her or one SA?
See, that's what makes it harder, I'd have to put off 2 sisters(they've been coming for 5+ years) and their mom just started a new job so it's not like she has vaca time or anything. Last summer it worked out with that dcf because they took their vaca as soon as school ended so they wouldn't have been here anyways. Ugh...
daycare 04:49 PM 02-20-2015
See, that's what makes it harder, I'd have to put off 2 sisters(they've been coming for 5+ years) and their mom just started a new job so it's not like she has vaca time or anything. Last summer it worked out with that dcf because they took their vaca as soon as school ended so they wouldn't have been here anyways. Ugh...
If it were me, and it was 1 vs 2 and your summer money or not, I would have to tell dcm something like this.

Due to changes in summer schedules, I will need to fill my summer spots starting on xxx date. If you do not wish to participate in summer care, the last day services will be provided for your family is xxx. Please indicate if your child will be attending summer daycare services or not.

thank you for your attention to this and all daycare matters..
daycarediva 04:56 PM 02-20-2015
"dcm, here's my availability for summer."

The end. If it's something she doesn't typically/regularly use, and is not staying/paying for the space after that, you are losing money by doing her a favor. Nope, I would just mention that dck's last day before summer is X OR since dck is part time, if you have any days available, give dcm a list of available days and tell her that is when you would be available should she need drop in care."
Reply Up