Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"Don't Like Him Being First To Arrive, Last To Leave"
Cat Herder 02:53 PM 05-19-2015
Every time I think I have heard it all someone comes up with a new one.

S: "We are thinking of taking H to a center because they have longer hours."

Me: "Oh, do you need to change your hours? Maybe we can work something out. What do you need?"

S: "No, it's not that. We just don't like him being the first one here and the last one to leave every day. He asks why a lot, now, and we think he will have more fun not having to spend so much time alone. So he can play until the end of the day."

Me: "Oh, ok. We'll just be sure to give me two weeks notice for your deposit or you can just put that toward the next two weeks?"

S: "I don't think we are there yet. I just wanted to keep you in the loop."

Alone? What am I??? Chopped liver? He has been here 3 years. The little guy and I enjoy our one on one breakfasts lately. He digs free art center all to himself while I clean. We are talking 30 minutes in each direction, here. I don't get people anymore...
Blackcat31 03:06 PM 05-19-2015
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

S: "We are thinking of taking H to a center because they have longer hours."

Me: "Oh, do you need to change your hours? Maybe we can work something out. What do you need?"

S: "No, it's not that. We just don't like him being the first one here and the last one to leave every day. He asks why a lot, now, and we think he will have more fun not having to spend so much time alone. So he can play until the end of the day."

Me: "Oh, ok. We'll just be sure to give me two weeks notice for your deposit or you can just put that toward the next two weeks?"

S: "I don't think we are there yet. I just wanted to keep you in the loop."

Alone? What am I??? Chopped liver? He has been here 3 years. The little guy and I enjoy our one on one breakfasts lately. He digs free art center all to himself while I clean. We are talking 30 minutes in each direction, here. I don't get people anymore...

That was actually what I was thinking while reading about people not thinking....

I hear you.

I have heard a few statements/ideas/theories today myself that have left me with my jaw hanging. I am pretty sure my ophthalmologist is going to find popped blood vessels in my eye balls from all the rolling I've done lately.
Blackcat31 03:07 PM 05-19-2015
Oh, and seriously..... you should know better by now.
Nurse Jackie 03:07 PM 05-19-2015

cheerfuldom 03:12 PM 05-19-2015
most people would love one on one attention for their kid. if he is happy and been there for three years, why change it? besides he may end up being the only one at a center too. or stuck with kids a lot younger or older or stuck with a room jam packed and then they will have something else to complain about.
Cat Herder 03:34 PM 05-19-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Oh, and seriously..... you should know better by now.
Very true...

Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
most people would love one on one attention for their kid. if he is happy and been there for three years, why change it? besides he may end up being the only one at a center too. or stuck with kids a lot younger or older or stuck with a room jam packed and then they will have something else to complain about.
They have never had a center experience. I have been the sole provider for this family since their first kid, 7.5 years now, total. Just a huge flip from texting to ask if kiddo could call me on vacation because he missed me a couple months ago...

Maybe a little "grass is greener" stuff? Who knows. Either way I can pull out my handy dandy waiting list, I just don't want to.
AmyKidsCo 03:48 PM 05-19-2015
My first thought was "I don't decide when to drop him off and pick him up - that's your decision"
MarinaVanessa 03:51 PM 05-19-2015
All I heard from reading the OP is ...

"My kid doesn't understand why all of the other kids spend less time at daycare. Since I don't want to feel guilty about that I might put him somewhere with more kids before him and after him ... you know, to trick him into thinking he's at daycare less"

CraftyMom 04:47 PM 05-19-2015
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:

"My kid doesn't understand why all of the other kids spend less time at daycare. Since I don't want to feel guilty about that I might put him somewhere with more kids before him and after him ... you know, to trick him into thinking he's at daycare less"

I was thinking along these lines.

THEY feel guilty about their kid being the first one there, last to leave.
THEY feel guilty about the long hours.
So instead of cutting back at work or changing their hours to spend more time with their kid, lets put him where other people do the same thing so WE don't feel guilty.

It has nothing to do with the child not wanting to be there alone.

I realize not everyone can cut back hours, but I find it rare that parents hold the same work schedule. Usually one is out earlier.
daycarediva 05:03 PM 05-19-2015
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:

My thoughts exactly.
Cat Herder 05:41 PM 05-19-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:

So instead of cutting back at work or changing their hours to spend more time with their kid, lets put him where other people do the same thing so WE don't feel guilty.

I realize not everyone can cut back hours, but I find it rare that parents hold the same work schedule. Usually one is out earlier.
You are probably right. This little guy is not really here all that long, my usual hours, really. 7-5:30 (I close at 6). He was the youngest from my previous group (oldest of current group) that were all on a similar schedule.

Thinking on it more, I have noticed that the rest of this current group rarely come everyday, all day. They all pay full time rates so I never really noticed the trend . In fact MOST don't come all 5 days of any given week, now. I have 6 enrolled, but average 4 a day looking at my attendance records for the last 3 months.

I have gone from a typical 9.5 hour stay to around 7 per child, per day. It is a trend I am enjoying even though it does make lesson planning and time/space deductions a bit trickier.

Maybe this is becoming a "thing". Hmm..
Annalee 05:49 PM 05-19-2015
You are probably right. This little guy is not really here all that long, my usual hours, really. 7-5:30 (I close at 6). He was the youngest from my previous group (oldest of current group) that were all on a similar schedule.

Thinking on it more, I have noticed that the rest of this current group rarely come everyday, all day. They all pay full time rates so I never really noticed the trend . In fact MOST don't come all 5 days of any given week, now. I have 6 enrolled, but average 4 a day looking at my attendance records for the last 3 months.

I have gone from a typical 9.5 hour stay to around 7 per child, per day. It is a trend I am enjoying even though it does make lesson planning and time/space deductions a bit trickier.

Maybe this is becoming a "thing". Hmm..
Only 5 of my 12 come every day and I get paid as well. These 5 have parents who will walk through my daycare because their kids tell them xxxx or xxx didn't come certain days. These 5 parents also act like I am lying when I tell them their child told the truth. These 5 parents DO NOT work every day but we all have those....they get 9.5 hours a day regardless not to exceed 4:30. Only 2 days a week do I have over 7 which is wonderful.....but I know it won't last forever
Play Care 05:24 AM 05-20-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Only 5 of my 12 come every day and I get paid as well. These 5 have parents who will walk through my daycare because their kids tell them xxxx or xxx didn't come certain days. These 5 parents also act like I am lying when I tell them their child told the truth. These 5 parents DO NOT work every day but we all have those....they get 9.5 hours a day regardless not to exceed 4:30. Only 2 days a week do I have over 7 which is wonderful.....but I know it won't last forever
I've actually said to one parent who was being very nosy about why Johnny or Susie wasn't in this or that day "Their parents keep them home when they are home, they want to spend as much time as possible with their kids."
(and don't get me wrong, I'm not one to care what parents do when after they drop their kids off, but in this case the parent was being so nosy about what other families were doing it was driving me nuts.)

They still sent their kids every day, all day so it probably didn't bother them that much
Blackcat31 05:59 AM 05-20-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I've actually said to one parent who was being very nosy about why Johnny or Susie wasn't in this or that day "Their parents keep them home when they are home, they want to spend as much time as possible with their kids."
(and don't get me wrong, I'm not one to care what parents do when after they drop their kids off, but in this case the parent was being so nosy about what other families were doing it was driving me nuts.)

They still sent their kids every day, all day so it probably didn't bother them that much
Just had this same conversation with a parent.

She asked if she was the only parent with a full time job. I said no, I have many children who have parent with full time jobs but they make a point of keeping their child with them on their off days so their children don't have to be raised by their daycare provider.

Of course, this is said with a somewhat snarky tone and tinged with a bit of attitude but the message is lost on her either way so the display of displeasure was solely for my benefit.
KidGrind 05:33 PM 05-20-2015
Very true...

They have never had a center experience. I have been the sole provider for this family since their first kid, 7.5 years now, total. Just a huge flip from texting to ask if kiddo could call me on vacation because he missed me a couple months ago...

Maybe a little "grass is greener" stuff? Who knows. Either way I can pull out my handy dandy waiting list, I just don't want to.
Oh how they’re going to MISS YOU!
Cat Herder 05:57 AM 05-21-2015
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
Oh how they’re going to MISS YOU!
Thank you. I will miss them, too. I thought I had another year with them, I guess we shall see soon enough.
Laurel 06:34 AM 05-21-2015
Wow
originalkat 06:37 AM 05-22-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:

YEP. This is exactly it. I'm sorry, but people are so stupid sometimes.
Tags:first to arrive last to leave, long hours in care, unrealistic expectations
Reply Up