Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wordpress / Website Host Info Requested
CityGarden 11:51 PM 08-23-2016
I purchased a wordpress theme I like & also checked that my domain name is available with godaddy. Any suggestions for a good cost effective host?

When I went to register the domain with godaddy they had options for hosting (wordpress hosting or their website builder for hosting) which made me realize I need more insights

I am certain I would like to stick with the wordpress theme I purchased but it seems having a "host" is required. Would it be best to register the domain & host in the same place? Should I register with godaddy and go with another host? I don't want to spend much on hosting at this time (maybe in the future) so cost does matter.

TIA!
Ariana 12:22 AM 08-24-2016
Godaddy in my opinion is very cost effective! I think I paid $11.99 a month. I would also go woth their website builder because then everything is in one spot. Wordpress is better for blogs.
NillaWafers 07:35 AM 08-24-2016
I would register both the name and pay for hosting on the same site. Otherwise, you have to transfer it once it's established, it's annoying.

I use IX webhosting but I'm not terribly happy with them so I can't recommend.

My husband and his partner use host monster.
CityGarden 06:44 PM 08-24-2016
Thanks for the reply NillaWafers & Ariana. So many options.
MoomsEver 03:48 PM 08-26-2016
I don't really know what your goal is with having a website.

If you just want to BUILD a website WordPress in itself is absolutely fantastic. You can get a host somewhere, like with godaddy, and start building your site.

That is all easy...

However, many people who want a (WordPress) website really want a web business (get lots of traffic, make money with the site, etc). While putting up a (WordPress) site is easy, knowing how to build an online business is another story.

The reality is that most sites never get more than a handful of visitors. And without traffic, income is hard to come by. In other words, No traffic = No profits.

The real truth is that many people struggle to build a successful online business with WordPress. They keep changing or adding plugins, themes and other features hoping it will solve their problem. Yet Wordpress "as is" won't build an online business. It's missing a do-able start-to-finish BUSINESS process.

Surely, you can slog through the mountains of business building advice and tools that are out there. But for most WordPress users it all ends up being too much. As you said... "So many options."

So, despite the dazzling display of Wordpress features, the reality for most (non-tech) people who want to create a web business with Wordpress is that they need to adhere to an easy-to-follow, all-in-one, proven, ethical webbusiness-building system (not a get rich quick scheme), tailored to the WordPress platform, to get (1) a significant amount of traffic and get (2) targeted traffic.

Otherwise... you'll end up having (and building) only a WordPress webSITE (or BLOG) but not a webBUSINESS.
CityGarden 07:34 PM 08-27-2016
Originally Posted by MoomsEver:

If you just want to BUILD a website WordPress in itself is absolutely fantastic. You can get a host somewhere, like with godaddy, and start building your site.

That is all easy...

However, many people who want a (WordPress) website really want a web business (get lots of traffic, make money with the site, etc). While putting up a (WordPress) site is easy, knowing how to build an online business is another story.

The reality is that most sites never get more than a handful of visitors. And without traffic, income is hard to come by. In other words, No traffic = No profits.

The real truth is that many people struggle to build a successful online business with WordPress. They keep changing or adding plugins, themes and other features hoping it will solve their problem. Yet Wordpress "as is" won't build an online business. It's missing a do-able start-to-finish BUSINESS process.

Surely, you can slog through the mountains of business building advice and tools that are out there. But for most WordPress users it all ends up being too much. As you said... "So many options."

So, despite the dazzling display of Wordpress features, the reality for most (non-tech) people who want to create a web business with Wordpress is that they need to adhere to an easy-to-follow, all-in-one, proven, ethical webbusiness-building system (not a get rich quick scheme), tailored to the WordPress platform, to get (1) a significant amount of traffic and get (2) targeted traffic.

Otherwise... you'll end up having (and building) only a WordPress webSITE (or BLOG) but not a webBUSINESS.
I am not looking to build a webBUSINESS I am looking to market my childcare / preschool business hence the forum we are on.
Lyss 08:38 AM 08-30-2016
If you aren't going to use it for much beyond just a small website for your business you may want to look into using blogger. It's free and you can use the custom domain that you purchased (if you have). It will save you the monthly fees but give you a website with your own URL to use.
NillaWafers 06:11 PM 08-30-2016
Originally Posted by MoomsEver:

That is all easy...

Unless you're selling something, this is pretty useless. Since we are selling services and not products, the only thing that really matters is ranking high on google when someone searches for "daycares near me".

Daycare websites are more to show people the daycare, state our rates and policies. Most plugins in Wordpress you would never even need for this type of website.

Wordpress is great for daycares and makes it easy to run and update your own website.
MarinaVanessa 11:13 PM 08-30-2016
I looked around and went with Bluehost. I found a blog that endorsed Bluehost and used their link to get it for about $3 a month.
Michael 02:40 AM 08-31-2016
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
Unless you're selling something, this is pretty useless. Since we are selling services and not products, the only thing that really matters is ranking high on google when someone searches for "daycare near me".

Daycare websites are more to show people the daycare, state our rates and policies. Most plugins in Wordpress you would never even need for this type of website.

Wordpress is great for daycare and makes it easy to run and update your own website.
If you produce a website, it is important that you make it a portal for your content since you are not selling products or online services. Usually a minimum of 5 pages with searchable titles and local geographical terms will produce good results. If you then post your website address on a highly trafficked website like Care.com or Daycare.com, it will elevate your search results more so. Its all about marketing for the least amount of money in producing the best results.
Tags:website - how to, wordpress
Reply Up