Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Favorite Toys For Infants Up to a Year
Josiegirl 04:02 PM 04-14-2018
It looks like I'll be needing a few toys for younger kiddos; seem to have plenty for children over a year. What do you have for the younger crowd that holds their interest, helps with crawling/walking/fine motor skills, etc.?
Do you go with toys from Fisher Price, Little Tikes, Mattel, or....? Lots of times I buy toys I find at yard sales and those seem to be some of the more common types.
Thank you for any suggestions!
CalCare 12:48 PM 04-16-2018
JosieGirl, no one is replying! I will try... I have the one "infant" who is now 11 months. Had him since 4 1/2 months. The others are 20-28 months. So, I have a smaller area dedicated to the youngest and a larger area of the playroom for the bigs. But I only close the dividing gate when needed. The big kids have everything you would think: babies with all the supplies, play kitchen with all those supplies, block area with many kinds plus accessories (creatures, etc), natural items like pinecones and luffah slices, everything you would expect. The little guy gets to all of that stuff when he's wandering on their side which is fine- it's all safe/ non- choking stuff. The little guy has, in his area (which the bigs also use, but this is more specifically for him): big plastic pop beads, sense balls (the pokey balls), stuffed animals, a crib mattress and ramp made of cushions to climb up and sit in, a little toy shelf he likes to "cruise" holding into, a firm/ foam bowling set, cars, and a few things I rotate.
So, taking both areas and toys into account, I would say, his favorite things to do/play with are plastic chicken legs from the big kid kitchen, the bowling pins, standing on the ramp, looking out the window and knocking down all the wooden stackers in the window sill, dumping out any container of toy in his area (pop beads, cars, bowling box, musical instruments). He loves the tunnel, but only if my son (5 years) is making it fun- he doesn't play in or with the tunnel without some sort of facilitator
Outside: he of course loves water table outside -holding on and splashing (he can't stand fully alone yet). Also the sand box is often a hit, but it's variable. I have the rocking boat/ steps but he doesn't have a lot of interest in that. He likes to crawl around looking for rocks for me to run and take from him as they go in his mouth.
Baby Beluga 01:23 PM 04-16-2018
I don't take littles that young, so I can't help there. But my own DS loved empty water bottles. He crushes them, shakes them and bites them. And he has a ton of toys!
hwichlaz 02:02 PM 04-16-2018
I like links. I can hang rattles and teething bracelets on them or they can play with a few of them linked together.

Stackers, shape sorters, rainstick.
storybookending 06:38 PM 04-16-2018
I just use the basic stuff for under 1 year old. They have a basket of toys with rattles, blocks and the typical “baby” stuff. I have a picnic basket in there that is meant for toddlers with plates and small cups and food pieces that my under 1s in the past have enjoyed once they figure out how to open/shut it. I don’t over do it with toys for the non mobile ones to not over whelm them and to also encourage them to move and get to where the big kids are with all the “fun” toys.

Babies will literally play with whatever is in front of them. I had a horrible Coca-Cola habit when my neice was little and I watched her in her home before opening. She played with my bottle every day after I was done drinking it. Always loved playing with my water bottle too. Also the kid was obsessed with remotes. Her parents ended up finding an old one and just throwing it in her toy box because she was obsessed with grabbing at the actual remote and would turn the tv off and on and change channels where they were trying to watch things.
Josiegirl 02:06 AM 04-17-2018
Thanks all I didn't seem to have many toys for that age group, thought I was missing some favorites, but guess I'm doing alright with what I have and most likely will find more as yard sale season starts. My almost 11 mo loves the FP farm that makes noises, school buses, Little People, etc. It just looks like the ages of my group will be shifting younger and wanted to make sure I was covered.
DaveA 03:36 AM 04-17-2018
My stuff is the basics. Plastic cube blocks, stacking cups, the stacking rings on a stick (not sure what to call that), rattles, fabric books, etc. Really anything colorful, easy to get ahold of, too big to swallow, and things that make a "natural noise" - no electronic beeps or lights. Easy to wash and throw in the baby's basket of toys.
dreamer 05:59 AM 01-24-2021
Big hits:
Baby books.
Object permanence ball and tray toy.
Water bottle
Stuffed animals.
Dancing beatbo toy
Cars
Annalee 06:08 AM 01-24-2021
Originally Posted by dreamer:
Big hits:
Baby books.
Object permanence ball and tray toy.
Water bottle
Stuffed animals.
Dancing beatbo toy
Cars
My great-niece, 10 months, loves to crunch an empty water bottle to hear the sound. She also loves ripping paper from magazines, gift wrap, etc. Out of all the toys she has, she likes the 'cheap, recycled' things the best.
Unregistered 05:29 PM 01-29-2021
the most popular toy with our litles are sensory bottles! Our staff drinks alot of monster drinks in the thicker plastic bottles. We wash, fill them and glue on the lids. We use hot glue OR e600. It works great. Currently, the one with water and fish, the bells, and the farm animals in sand are the favorites.
Tags:1 year old, toy - favorite, toys - 1 year old
Reply Up