Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCB Just Broke My Window
daysofelijah 10:22 AM 06-07-2011
Ugh! Seriously, I have less than three months left doing daycare! I couldn't have made it without a window getting broken?

I was getting lunch started when all of a sudden I hear a crack from the playroom. 2yo dcb threw one of my son's wrestling award medals at the window and yep it broke. UGH! The medal should not have been in the playroom of course, my 3 year old was playing with them and I thought I had gotten them all put away, but I guess I missed one.

My husband is going to freak out. I am betting he says this dcb is not allowed back in his house. Not sure how I am going to approach this one. Does daycare insurance cover this kind of thing? I called my agent, but they are out to lunch or something apparantly. UGH! Not what I needed today.
littlemissmuffet 10:25 AM 06-07-2011
Don't know if it will be covered by insurance, but I wanted to extend feelings of sympathy to you...

three months to go, deep breath!
LittleD 10:26 AM 06-07-2011
It should, that's what insurance is for! You may have a deductible, or limit. Check your policy and see if it tells you there.
wdmmom 10:29 AM 06-07-2011
You should be able to take the window in to a glass repair place and have them fix it for a lot less than the price of a new window or your deductible.

I have a policy that clearly states any damages that occur by a daycare child that are severe (broken window would fall into this catagory) are the full responsibility of the parent. Regardless of what was chucked at the window. It could have been a matchbox car and it could have happened. Case in point, make the parents liable or at least see if they'll foot half of the bill.
Cat Herder 10:43 AM 06-07-2011
I would not recommend trying to get the parents to pay for damage that occurred on your watch.

It just sets you up for the turn around of "My child was not properly supervised and could have been severely injured".

I would have it repaired and put the cost toward the yearly deductible of your homeowners insurance. "It was simply a household accident".
wdmmom 10:50 AM 06-07-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I would not recommend trying to get the parents to pay for damage that occurred on your watch.

It just sets you up for the turn around of "My child was not properly supervised and could have been severely injured".

I would have it repaired and put toward the yearly deductible of your homeowners insurance. "It was simply a household accident".
I had a DCB break a picture hanging on my wall. I was sitting on the floor playing with the kids. DCB picked up the book I just got done reading and frisbee'd it across the room, it hit the picture frame and knocked it off the wall. I realize parents want to pull the "supervision" card but if they aren't playing with toys appropriately, they should be held responsible for damages/repairs. The DCD felt bad about the frame and gave me $25 towards the glass and frame repair. It ended up costing me $45 so their generosity was appreciated.

If the window repair/damages are more than 50% of their weekly rate, I would ask that they help offset the cost of damages.
daysofelijah 10:52 AM 06-07-2011
Yeah, I know the whole accident under my watch pitfall so I doubt I'll say anything about payment unless dh pushes it. They don't have any money anyway. Dcm mentioned checking her insurance when I called to tell her, but I'm sure that wouldn't go anywhere.

Still waiting to hear back from my insurance agent. I think we have a $500 deductible so it probably won't help much. The window was in bad shape and needed replacing anyway, just wasn't in the budget right now! Luckily dh didn't freak as much as I was afraid he would when he called from work.
Blackcat31 10:54 AM 06-07-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
You should be able to take the window in to a glass repair place and have them fix it for a lot less than the price of a new window or your deductible.

I have a policy that clearly states any damages that occur by a daycare child that are severe (broken window would fall into this catagory) are the full responsibility of the parent. Regardless of what was chucked at the window. It could have been a matchbox car and it could have happened. Case in point, make the parents liable or at least see if they'll foot half of the bill.
If I were the parent in this case, I would be upset if you even suggested that I pay for a portion of the damages. A medal that is heavy or strong enough to break a window isn't exactly a toy that a dck should be playing with. Also, OP stated, it shouldn't have been accessible to the child in the first place. IMHO, this is something the provider should take responsibility for.

I have a policy in place as well saying that anything a child willfully destroys or breaks is the parents responsibility but not in situations like this where it was something the child should not have gotten their hands on in the first place.

OP: I would surely think your insurance will cover this since it is what we have insurance for. I am sorry this happened to you. BTDT. I had a 2.5 yr old child break one of my garage windows with a garden rake. It was completely my fault for leaving the rake out where the daycare kids had access to it. Had the kid used a toy truck or another item he generally plays with, I may have asked the parent to chip in for the deductible but in my case, I didn't really view the whole thing as "willful". Two year olds throw things. He didn't hit my window to break it, he was simply trying to use the rake. MY fault.

My homeowners covered it.
wdmmom 11:11 AM 06-07-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If I were the parent in this case, I would be upset if you even suggested that I pay for a portion of the damages. A medal that is heavy or strong enough to break a window isn't exactly a toy that a dck should be playing with. Also, OP stated, it shouldn't have been accessible to the child in the first place. IMHO, this is something the provider should take responsibility for.

I have a policy in place as well saying that anything a child willfully destroys or breaks is the parents responsibility but not in situations like this where it was something the child should not have gotten their hands on in the first place.

OP: I would surely think your insurance will cover this since it is what we have insurance for. I am sorry this happened to you. BTDT. I had a 2.5 yr old child break one of my garage windows with a garden rake. It was completely my fault for leaving the rake out where the daycare kids had access to it. Had the kid used a toy truck or another item he generally plays with, I may have asked the parent to chip in for the deductible but in my case, I didn't really view the whole thing as "willful". Two year olds throw things. He didn't hit my window to break it, he was simply trying to use the rake. MY fault.

My homeowners covered it.
I guess that's the difference between providers. I live in a quarter million dollar home, I want my property to be left in the condition it was when the children come in in the morning just as parents want their child returned in the same condition they come in.

My insurance agent would laugh if I even considered turning something like that in...especially when my deductible is $1000.

Again, my suggestion is to repair it if it is repairable and get by cheap. If it's not a cheap fix, I'd ask for help offsetting the bill. The most they can do is tell you "No".
Sugar Magnolia 11:12 AM 06-07-2011
I had a broken window once too. It was $133 to have fixed. I did not take it up w my insurance company, because it was way less than the deductible, and some companies like to drop or raise rates on those with claims, a HORRIBLE practice, but typical. I would not bill the parents either, for reasons Catherder mentioned. I hope your husband understands, I'm so sorry.
Blackcat31 11:20 AM 06-07-2011
I guess that's the difference between providers. I live in a quarter million dollar home, I want my property to be left in the condition it was when the children come in in the morning just as parents want their child returned in the same condition they come in.

My insurance agent would laugh if I even considered turning something like that in...especially when my deductible is $1000.

Again, my suggestion is to repair it if it is repairable and get by cheap. If it's not a cheap fix, I'd ask for help offsetting the bill. The most they can do is tell you "No".
I see where you are coming from but what does the cost or value of your home have to do with responsibility?
momofboys 11:30 AM 06-07-2011
The part that would bother me regarding the responsibility of the parents is that this could happen under supervision & with ANY toy (blocks/hot wheels car, etc). All it takes is a second or two & it could happen even with appropriate toys. Sorry but a caregiver can't monitor every single movement a child in their care makes. I see nothing wrong with asking parents to pay part of it OR at least letting them know what happened.
Live and Learn 01:02 PM 06-07-2011
Thank heavens nobody was hurt.

I agree with Catherder. They could easily say that you were not keeping their child safe.
daycare 01:07 PM 06-07-2011
I would not ask for the parents to pay for it unless you have good track record of this child displaying bad/out of control behavior.

I think that they will turn on you, just as catheder said.

as for the window, while I too would be way mad, I think it might be cheaper for you to just have it repaired yourself... I have a 550 deductable to meet, so I know a window might be cheaper.....I guess depending on the window...
wdmmom 01:09 PM 06-07-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I see where you are coming from but what does the cost or value of your home have to do with responsibility?

All's I'm saying is a window is not a huge expense but it might be to the person living there.

I had a DCB (3 yo) chuck a matchbox car at my head yesterday because he didn't want his diaper changed. I caught the car but there could have been a window behind me and my reactions might not have been what they were. Case in point...each choice should be that of the provider. Each situation is different. There's never any harm in asking other than the parent's might be butt hurt about it.
Live and Learn 01:10 PM 06-07-2011
I live in a quarter million dollar home
What the hec does this have to do with a broken window?

FYI ...there are many places where a 250k house is considered a tear down........so, big wup if you have a 250k house!

Sorry if that sounds snarky but wow, really?
daycare 01:17 PM 06-07-2011
I guess depending on where you live, $250,000 is a lot for a home. Here where I live you could maybe get a 750sf condo for that price

I think thAt this situation goes with the territory of having a DC
I have had many things broken, some I cried about. I thinks that stuff getting broken is to be expected when running a home DC
wdmmom 01:21 PM 06-07-2011
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:

FYI ...there are many places where a 250k house is considered a tear down........so, big wup if you have a 250k house!

Big wup to you but not to those that have thrived and worked to get to where they are. The home I live in is newer and it's in great shape. The majority of homes around here that daycare is performed in are mediocre 2 bedroom bungalows where daycare is performed in a living room. They have no real space of their own. I have separate areas through out my home solely for daycare.

Families around here have high end jobs and pay high end daycare rates. Most are looking for a good quality daycare in a nice home/neighborhood. I'm glad I can provide that for them. They also agree to my rules when they start. The rules aren't for anyone to agree to but my daycare clients.

Not to get sidetracked but

CASE IN POINT...a window is inexpensive but it might be a major expense to the person living there and there's no harm in asking for help paying for the repair.

In this situation, I feel the OP is responsible. That is why I suggested repairing rather than replacing and finding a glass company that can come out or you can take the window to and fix.

I broke a window by tossing something down the stairs a few years ago. I put a crack in it. It cost me a measly $35 bucks. That's a big wup to me but for someone living paycheck to paycheck, $35 bucks is a matter of eating lunch for the week!
nannyde 01:29 PM 06-07-2011

I wish I had her house.

I live in the same area.

She lives way better than I would ever dream of living.

If I had her house and had it as nice as she has... I would think very differently about damage. Believe it.
Live and Learn 01:37 PM 06-07-2011
Families around here have high end jobs and pay high end daycare rates. Most are looking for a good quality daycare in a nice home/neighborhood. I'm glad I can provide that for them. They also agree to my rules when they start. The rules aren't for anyone to agree to but my daycare clients.
It sounds like we both agree that the op should just take care of the expense herself.

I can tell that you are really impressed by that 250k figure but I really don't see what it has anything to do with supporting your opinion on the broken window.
wdmmom 01:42 PM 06-07-2011
It sounds like we both agree that the op should just take care of the expense herself.

I can tell that you are really impressed by that 250k figure but I really don't see what it has anything to do with supporting your opinion on the broken window.
Most people around here would just leave the window broken and duct tape it.
Not me. I would fix it or replace it and usually the more expensive the home, the higher the cost to fix things.
mac60 01:44 PM 06-07-2011
Originally Posted by momofboys:
The part that would bother me regarding the responsibility of the parents is that this could happen under supervision & with ANY toy (blocks/hot wheels car, etc). All it takes is a second or two & it could happen even with appropriate toys. Sorry but a caregiver can't monitor every single movement a child in their care makes. I see nothing wrong with asking parents to pay part of it OR at least letting them know what happened.
I agree with what you wrote here. This child should not get away with this. His parents should at least be told and if they were respectful caring parents they would offer to help pay for it. Seriously, when we do daycare out of our home, it is my home first....daycare second. When a person/child comes into my home, they are expected to respect it and if I the homeowner want to have a trophy in my home that is my right. My daycare room is in my family room, and I expect each child that comes in there to respect my stuff. So I am supposed to remove the tv from my family room? Hell no. What happened to people being respectful and responsible for their children and what they do. Our society today sucks, I remember the day wher a handshake meant "your word", not anymore, we have to sign stupid contracts. Sorry you are dealing with this.
daycare 01:44 PM 06-07-2011
I think regardless of the price of the home a home can't be without windows. Just like a car can't be without tires.
When you make the decision to do DC from your home you accept that there will be damages. I build this into monthly expenses. Up keep and care for the home
wdmmom 01:51 PM 06-07-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I think regardless of the price of the home a home can't be without windows. Just like a car can't be without tires.
When you make the decision to do DC from your home you accept that there will be damages. I build this into monthly expenses. Up keep and care for the home
Absolutely. I figure in a couple toys a year will meet their maker, a hole in the wall might occur, someone might pee on the floor or on the wall and a child might vomit on my carpet or in a pack and play. I don't figure windows, doors, TV's etc.

Anything beyond normal wear and tear should be at the discretion of the provider and the situation surrounding the incident.
nannyde 01:55 PM 06-07-2011

She's not bragging. She's telling you that she has a LOT invested in her home and wants to protect it. Where we come from this is a BIG investment and it takes A LOT to be able to even have that.

I know I couldn't support a house like that. If I was able to I would feel very differently about damage.

I don't hold parents accountable for damage. I don't have that in my policies. If I had school aged kids I would.
daycare 01:59 PM 06-07-2011
I understand with what you are saying and I think that is fair. But just like catherder said, the parents may see it as failure to properly watch their child.

I would mention it to the parents, hopefully they will feel bad about it and offer to pay, but if they don't then the provider has no choice but to cover the cost herself. The house can't go without a window or a broken one.
Blackcat31 02:15 PM 06-07-2011
Absolutely. I figure in a couple toys a year will meet their maker, a hole in the wall might occur, someone might pee on the floor or on the wall and a child might vomit on my carpet or in a pack and play. I don't figure windows, doors, TV's etc.

Anything beyond normal wear and tear should be at the discretion of the provider and the situation surrounding the incident.
....and in this situation, the window was broken by an object the child should never have had access to. Not a Hot Wheel car or any other toy that 2 year olds could throw. The 2 year olds I have/had throw everything....it is part of their developmental age. Doesn't mean it is ok, just means that they do it.

I also think the poster who mentioned having the right to have a trophy in her home: you are absolutely right about being able to have whatever you want (legally) in your home, but when you choose to do child care, you are agreeing to certain safety requirements and certain things happening. I completely agree with you about people not being as respectful and all today and I do not think we should remove our TV's from our family rooms but I also think that in this particular situation it has nothing to do wiht respect. If I were the parents of this child, I would be offended if the OP asked me to pay for part of this. I would say no and would be even more upset that because of that she viewed me as a less than caring or respectful parent.

The OP didn't say he was being naughty or behaving crazy. She just said she heard the sound while she was doing something else so in this situation, I think it falls on the provider. JMO.

FTR: even when I rented an crappy apartment and lived paycheck to paycheck vs now where I am financially stable and own more than I ever dreamed, I still have the same views about responsibilty. Whether we can or can't afford stuff doesn't change the facts in this situation.

WDMMOM: I know you were only trying to make a point and I think it is being taken a bit differently than you may have intended but I do see where you are coming from.
Crystal 02:48 PM 06-07-2011
well, my house cost $370,000, not that it matters I had a kid break a window once when he was outside with Mom, leaving. She paid for the window. Same kid broke a window when he was inside with me, I paid for it.

I say whoever the person responsible for watching the child at the time the incident occurred is responsible for the repair cost, regardless of what your home is worth
Cat Herder 03:13 PM 06-07-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I don't hold parents accountable for damage. I don't have that in my policies. If I had school aged kids I would.
I agree. I do exactly the same.

There is an exception to every rule.

If OP was talking about an 8 year old with a history of property damage I would expect the parents to chip in AND the child to work off his "debt". My view is that I assumed the risk when I took on the responsibility of caring for the child knowing his history AND the parents would have agreed to our disciplinary plan in advance.

Infants and toddlers do not fit into that category at all, IMHO. 100% of their 10 hour day falls on me.

I begin making the child accountable at pre-school age (3-4, since I do not keep them after that) depending on the maturity level of the individual. That is the kind of teaching I like. I involve the parents and together we make a disciplinary plan for each child and their specific issue.

Last year I had a 3 year old who liked to bite and tear up nap mats while I was bottle feeding infants. After I replaced a couple and the child washed ALOT of toys; I made her parents start paying for them since I was not allowed to withhold a nap mat by State regs. Once it cost them money the problem "magically disappeared" in under a week. Simple and effective.

Will that work for every parent or child....ugh, NO.

I stand by my original statement though. In this case I would just handle my business. It is an expensive lesson, but not as expensive as it could have been if a child had been right next to that window.
Tags:broken items, liability, mishaps, risk management
Reply Up