Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Black Out Curtains
Country Kids 01:54 PM 09-28-2011
OK, before I start crying because this is the THIRD DAY in a row no one will sleep, be quiet, or settle down remotely for a nap. Does anyone use blackout curtains in their daycare/sleep rooms? Do they work or will it be a waste of my money. When my husband called he said what ever it takes he will do it because I was in tears. I don't know what to do different but this can't go on. I'm getting no break. Right now I'm in the room with them and its ridiculous!

Heres my daily schedule, if anyone sees where I may revamp it please let me know!

6:30-kids start arriving
7:00-Feed kids breakfast
Free Play till 8:30-Thinking of making this an outdoor time to run off energy
8:00-Diaper changing/potty breaks
8:30-10:00=Preschool time
10:00-Diaper change/Potty breaks
10:30-Snack
10:45-Outdoor time
12:00-Come in/diaper change/potty break
12:15-lunch, clean up
1:00-lay down
3:00-Get Up
3:00-Diaper changes,potty breaks,snack
3:30-Outside time till 5;00 when everyone goes home
Crystal 01:57 PM 09-28-2011
No black out curtains but a few questions....

where are the children sleeping? are they laying near each other or do you have them separated....either by space or solid barriers?

how old are the children?

what is your naptime routine? Do you just lay them down or do you do anything to settle them down?
Country Kids 02:04 PM 09-28-2011
We transition with a Barney show till 1:00. Then boring music on the radio. They are in spaced 5 feet or more apart. 2-3 years and it just started this week. They are almost jittery when they are laying down. No pnp's becaue all the children are to big for them and we have already had issues with some trying to tip them.

I've been doing this for 16 years and it has never been this bad till this week!

One just feel asleep after an hour of rolling, talking, singing, etc. Three more still up and nap time will be over pretty soon.

Naptime starts actually around 12:30-12:45 depending when everyone gets done eating. I put 1:00 above because that is when the tv goes off and they need to really start settling down.

Also, I'm getting alot of I have to go potty (2-3 times). I think they are using it as a way to stay and moving around but how can you be sure. I certainly do not want accidents but if they aren't going and just saying that I would rather chance it and have them stay laying down.
Crystal 02:06 PM 09-28-2011
wow. that is wierd. they should be wiped out and ready to sleep. trying the curtains couldn't hurt....good luck!
sassysue 02:13 PM 09-28-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
We transition with a Barney show till 1:00. Then boring music on the radio. They are in spaced 5 feet or more apart. 2-3 years and it just started this week. They are almost jittery when they are laying down. No pnp's becaue all the children are to big for them and we have already had issues with some trying to tip them.

I've been doing this for 16 years and it has never been this bad till this week!

One just feel asleep after an hour of rolling, talking, singing, etc. Three more still up and nap time will be over pretty soon.

Naptime starts actually around 12:30-12:45 depending when everyone gets done eating. I put 1:00 above because that is when the tv goes off and they need to really start settling down.
Try no t.v.
Also,you might want to try an earlier lunch time so it's not a mad dash off to nap directly after lunch. We start winding down around 12:30p.m.-diapers changed,toilet time tuck into beds. Lights out @ 1:00p.m.
daycare 02:13 PM 09-28-2011
Tv sometimes keeps me awake, i woukd say no more tv.

I had this issue of non napping for a bit last year. I did get darker blackout curtains. Walmart is super cheap

I set up all mats. I tuck everyone in and we read one short story. I put on soothing sounds cd or music. I would then sit in the room and give them the eye when they were messing around. Eventually they all started going to sleep after 3 days of this.
Meeko 02:38 PM 09-28-2011
I have a CD of very sleep inducing music accompanied by the sounds of waves on a beach. It's hypnotic! I ALSO have a fan going for white noise. They all crash out in about 10 minutes. Got the CD at Walmart at one of those "push the button and hear a snippet of music" displays.
Country Kids 02:53 PM 09-28-2011
Thank you all so much!!!! My husband called again and said no problem, but whatever you need. I'm going to add the cd on to that. Do they sell them in the music department, because our baby department sells cd, as well as the toy dept. Thank you so much. When he called back I broke down crying because I'm just so stressed lately and trying hold it all together but today must have been the last straw. I've never cried while the daycare children are here but just couldn't hold it back today.
Hunni Bee 02:55 PM 09-28-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
wow. that is wierd. they should be wiped out and ready to sleep. trying the curtains couldn't hurt....good luck!
Yes, my kids are DONE by 12:45...even yesterday when it was stormy and we couldn't go out. Their body clocks are all pointing to "sleep" by that time.

To the OP:

And the curtains may help...my classroom, which is on the 2nd floor, has three picture windows which have tree branches all around them. They naturally block out the sun between 12 and 3 pm. The room literally goes from day to night around 12:30, when the sun gets behind that tree...which signals the kiddos that its time to sleep. I would try it.
Cat Herder 03:05 PM 09-28-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I have a CD of very sleep inducing music accompanied by the sounds of waves on a beach. It's hypnotic! I ALSO have a fan going for white noise. They all crash out in about 10 minutes. Got the CD at Walmart at one of those "push the button and hear a snippet of music" displays.
I do the same plus have mealtime 1 hour before naptime to allow for the sugars to be processed and spent. My CD has Ocean sounds, flute music and seagulls .

I now have two box fans staged at opposite corners of the room (behind baby gates)...Dueling white noise and a nice breeze to help with the new fall wardrobes while still dealing with summer temps.

I was also wondering if it is possible that some of your parents have recently started giving allergy meds?

I know mine have and I have had to change a few things in the last two weeks (adding more heavy proteins, less sugar, white flour etc. to counteract the hyperactivity )
daycare 03:42 PM 09-28-2011
I found several ocean/ mountain/ soothing music CDs at the dollar tree.
blueclouds29 04:32 PM 09-28-2011
I don't know if its just my group (4 to 5 kids : 13 months to 2 1/2) , but we do one tv show after lunch. They gone done at 12 and all sleep 1 1/2 to 2 hours most days depending on how active they've been in the am. The tv also helps me unwind too! LOL
jen 07:34 PM 09-28-2011
I used black out curtain on my sliding glass door...I got then at overstock.com for about $30 a panel (4 panels). I thought they were great! Also, WONDERFUL for keeping heat/cold out.
Crazy8 07:50 PM 09-28-2011
I'd maybe start lunch a little earlier but otherwise your schedule looks fine to me. As they finish eating let them go to the bathroom, etc. and then go to their mats/cots, whatever you use. Blackout curtains coudn't hurt - but what is on the windows now? If its fairly dark already from say closed blinds I'm not sure the curtains will help all that much. I think its more the kids and the routine. Maybe get a little strict on the talking, etc. Put the white noise on to help quiet them down. I'd cut the tv out too.
christinaskids 08:12 PM 09-28-2011
I have mine do a quiet activity while I am making lunch, then no tv or sounds are on while we eat. That way it gets them slowly transitioned to being a little more settled down. They hang out while I get the little ones ready and laid down and they go right down after that. I usually lay there or sit there on my phone or read with them and sush them if needed, otherwise its just crazy and they never get to sleep. The fan, blackout curtains, and lullabies should def help!
wdmmom 05:55 AM 09-29-2011
I have black out curtains and they are a great investment. I have them in our upstairs playroom and our lower level play room/sleep room. Works great for getting the kids sitting still when you turn on a movie too!
Auntie 06:44 AM 09-29-2011
definitely would take them out in that early time slot as well.

Also can you move nap time to 12:30 maybe eat a bit earlier? Maybe with this group they need an earlier lunch and nap time? Sometimes that may be it.
Unregistered 08:10 AM 09-29-2011
Don't give up and get down. Have been there and some days am there. I find kids don't want to sleep-esp babies these days. I have sleep fighters. Consistency is the key. Parents home life doesn't help because a lot them don't have any consistency at home either. You can establish it at your care but it will take time, and when you start a new kiddo it's like starting over. Kid's thrive on knowing what comes next, even the little ones.

Take your loudest kiddo and clean up them first, do the diaper change, wiped up from lunch and all that and put them down first. They can lose all the excess energy waiting for everyone else to settle down. Then put on your music, close the blinds/curtains and go about your day (usually for me its cleaning up from lunch) and then.....they all like to poop some days after I have changes them. ugh!

Change your tude, and look at it as a challenge and don't get upset when it doesn't go the way you want.......because Momma said there would be days like this......plus they will feed off your emotions.

Routine is what helps me the most. No tv during lunch or before lunch, wind down time, pick up, clean hands. Run them out during the morning, outside time weather permitting, or movement inside.

Good luck and know your not alone, but tears are hardly worth it for this problem, again look at it as a challenge and the crazy part of the day that bites.

I also have a couple of kiddo's that just can't settle down on their own. I rub backs, and between eyes, moving down to the eyes/nose to make them heavy and it takes a while, but it is effective, and works till they learn to be able to settle down themselves.

keep trying until you figure what works best for your group. Come here often for helps, new ideas ect..... or just to vent. Good luck~
NiNi.R. 08:26 AM 09-29-2011
I also had a sudden problem of kids not sleeping. I purchased some curtains. They aren't black out but they most certainly darken the room. I also play lullaby music for about 20 mins and run a fan. Works like a charm!
Meeko 09:15 AM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Thank you all so much!!!! My husband called again and said no problem, but whatever you need. I'm going to add the cd on to that. Do they sell them in the music department, because our baby department sells cd, as well as the toy dept. Thank you so much. When he called back I broke down crying because I'm just so stressed lately and trying hold it all together but today must have been the last straw. I've never cried while the daycare children are here but just couldn't hold it back today.
I actually got the cd in the department with home decor!! It's called "Sleep" from Reflections of Nature. Cover shows a woman with her head on a white pillow.

OK found this pic online......
Attached: sleep cd.jpg (9.4 KB) 
Tags:curtains, dividers, schedule
Reply Up