Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is It Bad...
SimpleMom 08:40 AM 11-02-2011
if I keep things low-key?? I am just feeling a little swamped lately, I guess. I have been trying different ideas for the group (a great group) the past few weeks. Mostly, what has worked best at keeping the group all content for the most part is keeping things low-key vs. the structured circle time, lessons, etc. Routine is still there. Activities are there. It's just more or less individualized and props are out for thier own exploration.

They are happy. I am happy. It's just so weird to not do more structure. I feel kinda like I'm not doing my job or something. lol But I am--I really am lol
SilverSabre25 08:48 AM 11-02-2011
No, it's not bad. Sometimes that's just what they need! I find that when my group is playing well together, engaging themselves and each other in good focused, play, that THAT is all that matters. It's like the addage to never wake a sleeping baby...never interrupt a contentedly playing child.

We've shifted our schedule around lately due to the dynamics of the group as well as the change in weather, etc. They play really nicely together in the morning and so we don't make it outside many days until after nap--their toughest time of the day. They wake up, we eat snack, we go outside until pick up. It's warmer then anyway so it works out.

We do semi-structured things twice a week right now in the morning, and on other days if the play is stagnating or they are getting squirrely I'll get something new out or put down a simple craft/activity or we go outside.

A couple months ago this wouldn't have worked at all--same kids, but the dynamic is different now.
Meyou 09:08 AM 11-02-2011
I always let them play if they're content. If they aren't that's when I intervene and direct them with an activity or a change of scenery.
Cat Herder 09:21 AM 11-02-2011
Sounds like your group is doing well.

As my Garmin says "You have arrived". Peaceful, thoughtful, content kids exploring and playing well on their own is my goal.
Sprouts 11:03 AM 11-02-2011
I think its fine, my goal for when I opened was to have a structured environment all day, have lesson plans ready, and just plan plan plan. I am a middle school teacher so planning is all i did, but i was SOOOOO STRESSED!!! I was so worried about themes and lesson plans and everything, so I just droped it all, and I feel so much better now.

don't get me wrong I do pick small themes here and there and we do activities, but based on what the kids want to do, i let them play, they love being with the babies and then whatever comes to mind. I also get really good ideas from teachpreschool.org, she sends an email that i get every morning and if its a doable activity i do it with the girls
SimpleMom 12:00 PM 11-08-2011
I taught pre-k before I opened up. I began the in-home portion years ago with the intent of keeping it center-like and an in-home feel. Whoa! I was stressed as well! So glad to hear it's not just me

Thank you for all the responses. I do feel much better about it. Just feels wierd, but in a good way. I really do love my group and they are pretty content. So, we will just go with it! It sure is a lot less stressful. I'll just keep doing this until or unless they need more structure time.

I am feeling a little bit "fried" shall we say LOL. I hope it's just one of those moments that comes and goes. Usually, once I change things up a bit it tends to get better.

Have a great day!
daycare 12:14 PM 11-08-2011
I was getting the same way so I started only teaching m-w-f
The other days I do field trips or outdoor programs.

I feel so much better and the kids are so much happier too
AmyLeigh 02:49 PM 11-08-2011
Sounds like how it is here. Routine meal times and rest times, but a lot of free play as long as everyone plays well together. Structured learning can come later. Now is the time for fun.

Try not to feel guilty. You are doing your job. You are providing a warm, nurturing environment for them to explore their interests and develop emotionally and socially at the same time.
Tags:overwhelmed
Reply Up