Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help with New DCK
LeslieG 10:20 AM 09-23-2013
I started a new dck today and it was been so overwhelming! She's not really interested in any activities I have out or have planned. When I tried asking her what she likes to do she replied, "I like to watch shows and play games on phones." She doesn't like to play with the other kids (granted they are a lot younger than her.. she's almost 4 and they are 1 1/2), but we also went to the park today and there were a ton of kids her age... she didn't want anything to do with them (and it's not that she's shy!).

I don't really know what to do. Obviously I should probably give it more time.. but so far her being here has changed the whole dynamic of my program and I don't like it.

Have any of you ever experienced something like this? Any advice?
Play Care 10:32 AM 09-23-2013
Originally Posted by LeslieG:
I started a new dck today and it was been so overwhelming! She's not really interested in any activities I have out or have planned. When I tried asking her what she likes to do she replied, "I like to watch shows and play games on phones." She doesn't like to play with the other kids (granted they are a lot younger than her.. she's almost 4 and they are 1 1/2), but we also went to the park today and there were a ton of kids her age... she didn't want anything to do with them (and it's not that she's shy!).

I don't really know what to do. Obviously I should probably give it more time.. but so far her being here has changed the whole dynamic of my program and I don't like it.

Have any of you ever experienced something like this? Any advice?
I think it's hard when you have all littles and one "big" kid. It's a dynamic I had when I first started and swore never to do again... I would continue to do what you are doing - offering age appropriate, fun activities and let her decide if she wants to join. I would NOT turn on the television or allow any of that. If she isn't settling in by a couple weeks, I would let mom know that dcg seems unhappy and you think a placement where she can be with children her own age might be best. I say this from experience as I kept the child on and it was AWFUL. The child was unhappy (no matter what I tried to do he was "bored" unless the television was on ), I was unhappy, the parents were ultimately unhappy, etc.
MCC 10:34 AM 09-23-2013
I had a 3 yo DCB start and was also very into TV and Ipad. His parents used to start the day with "No hitting today, if you hit, NO IPAD tonight"

They termed after a two weeks b/c I sent him home for hitting and biting and they couldn't handle my "strict" rules... But, he did start to play and enjoy activities after the first few days.
jenn 10:39 AM 09-23-2013
I would just keep providing your normal activities, and she will probably learn to join in. Don't give in on the TV and electronics. I had a 4 year old boy start last year that would do nothing other than watch TV. After a couple of days of literally standing in the middle of the floor watching the others play, he gave up and started playing. I don't think he really knew how to play. He was a great DCK and I was sad to see him leave for Kindergarten.
spinnymarie 12:23 PM 09-23-2013
Originally Posted by jenn:
I would just keep providing your normal activities, and she will probably learn to join in. Don't give in on the TV and electronics. I had a 4 year old boy start last year that would do nothing other than watch TV. After a couple of days of literally standing in the middle of the floor watching the others play, he gave up and started playing. I don't think he really knew how to play. He was a great DCK and I was sad to see him leave for Kindergarten.
ITA - sounds like she has no idea how to play. She'd probably do this with kids her age as well. Keep offering, soon she'll figure out that it is MUCH less 'boring' to participate than it is to just stand there.
cheerfuldom 02:42 PM 09-23-2013
I just wanted to say that breaking bad habits with a preschool aged child and trying to teach them to play is HARD work. If you find that you are not up for the challenge, there is nothing wrong with saying that this child is not the right fit for your group. I am surprised you took her anyway. Thats a big age difference. At 18 months, most of my crew are still on two naps a day and their interests/abilities are very different from older kids.
Play Care 03:13 PM 09-23-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I just wanted to say that breaking bad habits with a preschool aged child and trying to teach them to play is HARD work. If you find that you are not up for the challenge, there is nothing wrong with saying that this child is not the right fit for your group. I am surprised you took her anyway. Thats a big age difference. At 18 months, most of my crew are still on two naps a day and their interests/abilities are very different from older kids.

LeslieG 05:22 PM 09-23-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I took her because I'm looking to fill spots with her age group. So I'm hoping that I will have more kids her age soon.
Tags:overwhelmed
Reply Up