Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Neighbor's Dog
Kabob 11:10 AM 04-07-2014
So it's nap time...I'm sitting down to my own lunch when I spy the neighbor's dog running by on my front lawn....again.

This dog gets out all the time and is constantly being brought back by one person or another. I can't get the dog now since I can't leave the kids alone but grrrrr....this dog is a terror! I've seen him knock down old ladies and young kids alike. He'll chase people down and bowl into them then jump and paw and nip in excitement. He also almost killed my cat when my cat slipped outside one (and only one) time...he is super aggressive towards other animals.

Anyway...I don't want to be the bad neighbor by complaining (again) but I really don't want him attacking (even out of playfulness) or even scaring any of my daycare families while they try to load up their kids...it hasn't happened yet but with summer around the corner, these neighbors intentionally let their dog run loose because they claim the kids like to play with him...
My3cents 11:38 AM 04-07-2014
Originally Posted by Kabob:
So it's nap time...I'm sitting down to my own lunch when I spy the neighbor's dog running by on my front lawn....again.

This dog gets out all the time and is constantly being brought back by one person or another. I can't get the dog now since I can't leave the kids alone but grrrrr....this dog is a terror! I've seen him knock down old ladies and young kids alike. He'll chase people down and bowl into them then jump and paw and nip in excitement. He also almost killed my cat when my cat slipped outside one (and only one) time...he is super aggressive towards other animals.

Anyway...I don't want to be the bad neighbor by complaining (again) but I really don't want him attacking (even out of playfulness) or even scaring any of my daycare families while they try to load up their kids...it hasn't happened yet but with summer around the corner, these neighbors intentionally let their dog run loose because they claim the kids like to play with him...
call them every time and then if they don't do anything about it, call the police and let them handle it. I wouldn't want the liability of a dog hurting someone on my property- They are not going to like it, but that is ok, you don't like it either-
Second Home 11:38 AM 04-07-2014
Many places have where you can call in to animal control and report anonymously .

I have done it before when a neighbors dog kept getting loose and chasing people .
llpa 11:41 AM 04-07-2014
Ugh I detest people like your neighbor!! Dogs will do whatever they are allowed to do. These people obviously don't care about that dog very much! I am a big dog lover and participate in rescue etc. That is an accident waiting to happen. Dogs are still animals and should not be allowed to run w no boundaries. If children start teasing or playing and running that dog could hurt them just by reacting to them in excitement. Bad situation for all involved. Srry for the vent! It's a hot topic w me.
Blackcat31 11:44 AM 04-07-2014

Sometimes you just have to be. Especially when your actions (complaining) are based on protecting others.

Call animal control.

Obviously any requests or helpfulness by you and other neighbors hasn't helped the dog owners to understand that their dog must be kept in and not allowed to get out.
MotherNature 01:01 PM 04-07-2014
call animal control. Seriously? The kids like playing w/ the dog, so we just let it roam loose, unattended, illegally..oh well...teehee.. yeeeaaahh..call animal control. They're not responsible pet owners at all; you can be anonymous, but don't put up w/ that crap.
Kabob 01:32 PM 04-07-2014
Yeah...the neighbors in my cul-de-sac already think I'm mean and stuck up because I called the cops on my other next door neighbors for letting their 1 yr old run loose without ANY supervision. They think I'm also too strict with my dog because I don't allow him to bark and I don't allow the neighborhood kids to play with him.

Guess I'll have to have animal control number ready...the dog has not been returned so far...I can only hope he finds a better home. Both neighbors on either side of me keep their dogs outside at all times and they bark at all times and try to escape at all times and go nuts when they do escape. All because their kids wanted a dog because we have a dog so the neighbors told me it's my fault.
misslori50 02:05 PM 04-07-2014
this morning my neighbhors stupid dogs were out again and this time they were in my yard barking at my day care kids arriving. im not sure what to do about it
AslansG1rl 02:07 PM 04-07-2014
Call animal control.

You need to protect the kids yin your care. If they go outside to play or even just leaving with parents, and the dog hurts them, you will feel SO AWFUL AND RESPONSIBLE IF YOU DODNT DO YOUR PART TO PREVENT IT.

I too am a dog lover. My little 16 month golden mix is my best friend, he isn't aloud to bark in the house, at people,or other neighbors. He isn't permitted outside WITHOUT a collar and leash. It's not being mean, it's keeping my dog safe.

Your neighbors obviously don't understand what proper dog ownership requires. You have warned them, asked them repeatedly.

Call animal control everytime their dog is loose. If they get their dog back, they will be more careful in the future. ASLO, you may be saving the dogs life by calling. These misguided people let him out to run free, but by doing so are risking the dog getting hit by a car, eating something toxic, or being stolen.

You will be doing yourself, your kids, ALL your neighbors, and the dog a huge favor.
AslansG1rl 02:11 PM 04-07-2014
Originally Posted by misslori50:
this morning my neighbhors stupid dogs were out again and this time they were in my yard barking at my day care kids arriving. im not sure what to do about it
You call your local animal control number and report a stray, aggressive dog THREATENING your children. They will come get the dog, and the owners will have to pay a hefty fine to get him back. Look up your local animal control number, and EVERYTIME you see a dog by itself outside, CALL. you will protect your kids, and probably be saving the dog from getting hit by a car or a protective dcp.

Either program the number in your cell or write it down where you should have other emergency numbers like child abuse hotline, and poison control.
TwinKristi 02:21 PM 04-07-2014
If you have a decent phone take pics as well and sometimes you can email them to an officer and they will do whatever they can in their power to stop whether that's keeping the animal or fining the owners. We have a dog that's always getting out and pooping in everyone's yard. Everyone knows who's dog it is and almost every day it's let loose to do its business. Ugh! Makes me sick! I have called animal control when their dog and another were just running up and down the street, in and out from in front of cars... Of course by the time they got here the animals were inside but if there's numerous calls documented on one street they HAVE TO do something or say you will hold them liable when someone gets bit as you are documenting every call you've made and their lack of response.
AslansG1rl 03:02 PM 04-07-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
If you have a decent phone take pics as well and sometimes you can email them to an officer and they will do whatever they can in their power to stop whether that's keeping the animal or fining the owners. We have a dog that's always getting out and pooping in everyone's yard. Everyone knows who's dog it is and almost every day it's let loose to do its business. Ugh! Makes me sick! I have called animal control when their dog and another were just running up and down the street, in and out from in front of cars... Of course by the time they got here the animals were inside but if there's numerous calls documented on one street they HAVE TO do something or say you will hold them liable when someone gets bit as you are documenting every call you've made and their lack of response.

yes yes yes
Second Home 03:17 AM 04-08-2014
I would be wary of saying the dog is threatening people if he is not . Just a dog on the loose again and the house # it belongs to.

We had a dog on our street reported as being aggressive , the police showed up with guns drawn and cornered the dog until animal control got there . Had the dog gone after the police ( as it close to doing because they had it cornered and the dog was scared ) they would have shot it right in front of everyone watching kids included .
countrymom 06:32 AM 04-08-2014
call animal control or the pound. And report it as aggressive. Trust me. They need to learn their lesson that you can't do this. Also call your city and explain the problem, they may even send someone out to see what is going on.
craftymissbeth 06:47 AM 04-08-2014
Originally Posted by Second Home:
I would be wary of saying the dog is threatening people if he is not . Just a dog on the loose again and the house # it belongs to.

We had a dog on our street reported as being aggressive , the police showed up with guns drawn and cornered the dog until animal control got there . Had the dog gone after the police ( as it close to doing because they had it cornered and the dog was scared ) they would have shot it right in front of everyone watching kids included .
It sounds like this dog IS dangerous, though. Maybe it's not growling and gnashing at people, but chasing them down, bowling into them, and nipping at people even out of excitement is unacceptable and dangerous. If one of her daycare clients are hurt because of this dog on her property she would likely be liable. In most cities, the law is that you are responsible for keeping animals off of your own property.
Mom of 4 09:15 AM 04-08-2014

You got it twisted. The neighbor that is letting their dog run loose without a care in the world to those around them, knowing that he has the propensity to knock down others (knowing you run a daycare) and is aggressive even toward other animals, Is the bad neighbor.

I had horrible neighbors like this and they did not have any business having a dog! After the 4th time their dog got out, the other neighbor said that he would not be returning the dog to that home and he would call the pound. And I don't blame him! He did joke about selling the dog (pure pitbull so worth money) but I said "Yeah, probably get you in court". Personally, if this was a concern over and over (once or even twice, I can forgive, after that, forgiveness is over; accountability must happen), I would not return the dog and I'd call animal control before he really hurts someone. It's not the dog, it's the owner, but at the same time, if he/she cannot handle their dog, then it's time someone takes it away from them. The problem that we have in society is we all think we have the "right" to do everything but not the responsibility that comes connected with those rights.
Kabob 10:32 AM 04-08-2014
Yeah...I just grew up where I hardly ever saw let alone heard my neighbors so this is new to me. Dh had to run out and rescue an older lady from this dog and then had to put the dog away in the neighbor's yard himself because nobody appeared to be home...poor lady got pretty beat up by that over excited dog....

I plan to check to see if that dog is out before pick up time and make calls accordingly. I did ask nicely and everyone in the neighborhood is sick of this dog so a trip to the pound wouldn't upset anyone but the owners. Just frustrating that I even have to worry about this...this supposedly friendly dog is always outside because he has tried to kill their cats too...so I don't know what else they can do except rehome him if they can't contain him in their yard...
kitykids3 10:44 AM 04-08-2014
Ur not the bad neighbor by complaining, they are for letting it run loose. Here where I live it's against the law.

When I first bought my house a few years ago the neighbor at the time had a dog that she would just let out to do it's business all the time. Was making messes in their yard (stunk!) and on the grass between the sidewalk and the road and then a couple times it came to leave a mess in my yard. After the second time of that and after a couple of my clients walked in the mess on the public property I called animal control. I was sick of asking her not to let the dog loose.
Of course would figure I have a new neighbor there and they have a dog and now two puppies and they are the same way of not leashing them and they have no fence. They're trying to train them, but anything can happen.
Unregistered 11:51 AM 04-08-2014
I would relocate the dog to a shelter a couple of counties away.
Reply Up